OAuth2 for BZFlag.org

Place all meeting requests / announcements here...
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

OAuth2 for BZFlag.org

Post by FiringSquad »

Hi Guys,

As part of a course I'm doing in Cloud Computing, I am required to build and host a service on a public cloud that integrates with 2 other cloud services, has a client, uses queueing, authentication, etc. (various other constraints).

My intention is to build a service that can inform users when their favourite BZFlag servers are active, by using a Discord bot.

I'll be hosting it for a couple of months until it's graded and will hand code over on Github for anyone interested.

Still early days, as we just need to come up with a concept at this stage, but I'll start work on it very soon.

The architecture will be kind of overkill, since it will be architected as if it was for a distributed microservices system, but should still be useful/interesting.

Main technologies will be Micronaut, Kafka & Consul for the back-end, and Vue.js for the front-end.

Anyway, I was hoping that users could log in to my hosted service using their BZFlag credentials via OAuth2 (like http://leaguesunited.org).

Any info available on how to set that up, or who I need to contact?
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: OAuth2 for BZFlag.org

Post by FiringSquad »

I'll post some details about what I have in mind tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I can't just create anything, due to the project's constraints, but suggestions and ideas will be welcome.
If time allows, I will incorporate them (or at least architect for them, so that it could easily be added).
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

BZFlag does not currently offer an OAuth2 login system. Our weblogin system is an old custom-made thing. There's some details in our checkToken.php file (which can be used to verify the token that weblogin returns). https://github.com/BZFlag-Dev/bzflag/bl ... kToken.php

One major limitation of our current system is that it can't work with both IPv4 and IPv6 since our tokens are tied to a specific IP. We have the intent of modifying/replacing our authentication system both for in-game and on the web, with the web one likely using something like OpenID Connect. I had started to mess around with some new web services but didn't get real far on the auth part.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Simply for reference or if you want example usage, the Leagues United site uses the validate_token() from checkToken.php to log in users. Same goes for Roconut (GitHub), however Roconut uses an abstracted out bundle for Symfony applications.
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

Thanks guys.

I should be able to make that work.