PyBZFlag

BZFlag related only please...please attach large images
blast
General
General

PyBZFlag

Post by blast »

Well, I was really bored yesterday, so I spent a few hours mucking around with Python and the old PyBZFlag code base. I got it running enough to get a few screenshots. If I recall correctly, it was an attempt to make a BZFlag 1.7-like client in Python. I'm not sure if it was protocol compatible or not.

http://static.bzexcess.com/misc_screenshots/pybzflag/

The two that say "Widget World" at that URL are from the map thumbnail generator. It takes the map file and generates a top-down view as a PNG file.

The rest are from the 3D UI mode (Pretty much observer mode with the controls of BZEdit) of PyBZFlag, running on a randomly generated map from the python bzfs. There is some noticeable issues with the depth buffer (?) when you move further away from objects. The teleporters use multiple textures to make them look animated.

I haven't yet gotten the game mode to work, since there is some inheritance issue with the classes that make that possible.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

Pretty neat blast.

-Tanner
Tanner - Segway HT i180 Red Owner - Random Map Creator - BZStocks - TS Software

Anthony
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Anthony »

WOW those textures are awesome where did you get them
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

They are part of PyBZFlag.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Anthony
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Anthony »

oh sorry i was thinking pybzedit :oops: and how do you download it I'm a bit confused :|
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

You have to 'check it out' from the bzflag SVN repository. Erm...

Code: Select all

SVN co http://bzflag.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/bzflag/trunk/pybzflag/
Trying not to sound derogatory, what was the point of pybzflag apart from the obvious?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Teppic wrote:Trying not to sound derogatory, what was the point of pybzflag apart from the obvious?
Heck if I know. It did have some cool features/applications as part of it. One of those is, again, the ability to output map thumbnails. It also had some new graphical modes instead of just the standard 3D view, at least for observing.

ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

What is pybzflag? Was it made to possibly replace the normal bzflag? Is it still being worked on?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it was an attempt at doing the 1.10 version of bzflag in python.

it is long dead.
ImageJeffM
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

blast wrote:One of those is, again, the ability to output map thumbnails.
Yeah I was looking at that, with a view to mod_python-ing it, another day maybe...
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The sources did not run out-of-the-box. I spent a day or two hacking code (including a change or two in PyGame or PyOpenGL) to get it to partially work. I ran through 3 different versions of python (and it's dependencies) just to finally get it to work. There really isn't any point for someone with no programming experience to try to run it.

dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

blast
i noticed that the tank textures in the pybzflag data were different. Have you had success in having a tank player in pybzflag, and taken a picture of that? I am wondering what the tanks look like.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Never got that working. I was getting some error when trying to do that IIRC. Like I said, it wasn't fully working. ;) I should try to convert the video clips I took so that people can view them.