HUD (Just Curious)

BZFlag related only please...please attach large images
The Gecko
Private First Class
Private First Class

HUD (Just Curious)

Post by The Gecko »

I'm just curious to know how all of you bzflaggers set up your GUI/HUD and how it affects your playing style. Include a screenshot (with a good score if possible :P)

I, for one, set the radar to maximum size and minimum opacity and the mouse box to nearly as small as it will get (2 pocks above smallest). I use the radar to steer and shoot EXCLUSIVELY. Meaning I never actually look at any of the pretty explosions. I am constantly hitting '1' and '2' keys to switch radar zoom for a better view of the map.

Attached is a screenshot.
(As you can see, I also have a leading "trail" on the radar bullets.)
Attachments
The Gecko.png
My current HUD setup (which is subject to unannounced alterations.)
(206.72 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Save up to 50% on tank insurance!
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

This is how I play, My Radar is as full as it can be, i have lines on my shots aswell but my mouse box is bigger I feel i can have more accurate jumping if its bigger.
Attachments
bzradar.jpg
(647.19 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

I've always thought that having the radar as big as possible is essential to playing.
As you can see on the screenshot, my radar isn't very opaque and I changed the bullet-lenths in the .cfg to be quite long on the radar, which is helpful for dodging. My mousebox is set to 25 (12 is max. in GUI, need to edit the config.cfg), because the larger the mousebox, the better control you have, IMO.
I think you really just have to try things out and I suggest playing with the .cfg a bit to see what works best.
Attachments
bzfi0043.png
(760.59 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I have the mouse box huge, the radar big and not transparent, and lines trailing the shots. I guess I didn't need to say that, because the picture is right here. Also, in case you're wondering, the map is the one I'm making now.
Attachments
bzfi0023.png
How my HUD looks
(702.53 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
FKA Ratfink
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

whodaman? wrote:
My mousebox is set to 25 (12 is max. in GUI, need to edit the config.cfg), because the larger the mousebox, the better control you have, IMO.
Humbly may I ask: what is a mousebox? I saw the term from ducktape in the past but never really thought about it.
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

The mousebox is the big square in the middle of the screen. If you use the mouse to steer, your speed and direction are based on the distance from the center of the box and relative position of the mouse from the center of the box, respectively.

Having a larger mousebox gives you a larger "resolution" to steer with, so you can move more accurately.
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

Thanks: I figured it out sorta right before I saw your message. I set it to 25 in my cfg and woa I figured it out. I agree it gives more control. Mine radar is the same as ducktape and whodaman?
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

I do full radar, and have extended the shot lines in the conf.

http://bzfusion.net/gu-league/bzfi1161.png
pacman87
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pacman87 »

my radar is a lot smaller than most of those here, and i almost always keep it at 2.
Attachments
bzfi0097b.png
(862.85 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Amoeba
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Amoeba »

I use a giant mousebox for maximum speed control. Ratfink set it for me, since I don't do programming and I wanted it bigger than you can set it with the options in the game. Oh, and I use the radar and hud pretty equally.
Flumble
Private
Private

Post by Flumble »

I notice a lot people seem to rely on the radar, rather than the 3D world. I prefer to watch the screen and listen to the sounds. Then if anything unseen happens, I quickly watch the radar. *
So just like pacman, I've got a small radar (I think it's size 3).
Also, I use very small fonts, so it won't draw my attention when in the heat of combat. (I often hide the score display as well)
My mousebox is, as far as I can remember, the default size.
The graphical settings I use, is a resolution of 1280*1024*16, no anti aliasing, no shadows, dithering, blending, smoothing, best lighting and quality. As you can see, I turned off some functionalities to keep my fps at 60. ;)
To conclude: I hide the flags on the radar and the e-mail addresses as well.

*do not read: "I never watch the radar", as I do watch it half the time I'm playing.
Attachments
shot_341.PNG
Screenshot taken from my first BZEdit map.
(761.51 KiB) Downloaded 29 times