iPhone GU league Webpage design 1.

BZFlag related only please...please attach large images
ashvala
Private First Class
Private First Class

iPhone GU league Webpage design 1.

Post by ashvala »

I created a possible design for the gu league website optimized for the iPhone.

--
Ashvala
[TA]
http://ashvala.net
Attachments
g3453.png
(241.64 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
nahh
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: iPhone GU league Webpage design 1.

Post by ducktape »

ok, why? Whats wrong with how it looks now? And to have this work, We'd need a new site. Waste of time in my opinion.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

ducktape
The point: so people could check the gu site on their iphone or other cellphone.
And no, you wouldn't need a new site. You could just make the site check if the browser is on an iphone/cellphone, and redirect.

ashvala
However, creating this will take a lot of work, and might be harder than you expect. I'm not sure how exactly webleague works, but it might cause some difficulties.
ashvala
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ashvala »

ducktape wrote:ok, why? Whats wrong with how it looks now? And to have this work, We'd need a new site. Waste of time in my opinion.
DUcky, Buy a iPhone & log in to gu.bzleague.com you will see that you need to zoom in and do a lot of things, If you create a webpage that works for the iPhone, imagine the difference. There.
I could ask @menotume for some help during the making of the webpage.The webpage will however need just JavaScripting & some css.
ducktape wrote:And to have this work, We'd need a new site.
We don't actually need a new webpage for the whole GU league page. The idea is once you put http://gu.bzleague.com, It will auto detect the phone & the browser and this will automatically go to the iPhone edition page.
nahh
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

i would certainly appreciate this on my iPhone ash!!!!
no more zooming&dragging&reloading around the screen!!!
hope you'll get it to work soon and with the great help from meno ::: it should be easy ;-)
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

ashvala wrote:DUcky, Buy a iPhone & log in to gu.bzleague.com you will see that you need to zoom in and do a lot of things, If you create a webpage that works for the iPhone, imagine the difference. There.
I could ask @menotume for some help during the making of the webpage.The webpage will however need just JavaScripting & some css.

I'm not going to go buy a iphone just to view a website. How often do you go on the gu page on your iphone anyway? Not very many people would use this anyway.
ashvala wrote:We don't actually need a new webpage for the whole GU league page. The idea is once you put http://gu.bzleague.com, It will auto detect the phone & the browser and this will automatically go to the iPhone edition page.
Thank you for saying exactly what me1 said.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Looks like the site currently wants a minimum of 750px of width. Below that, you have to scroll side to side to read. What's the resolution on an iPhone?

It might just be a simple matter of feeding a second style sheet with changes to text size and table cell size to the browser if the width of the browser is below a certain amount. No change in content needed, and nothing extra to maintain. Let me know if you come up with something useful, and I might put in the pillbox league site.
ashvala
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ashvala »

Looks like the site currently wants a minimum of 750px of width. Below that, you have to scroll side to side to read. What's the resolution on an iPhone?
@ long hair, The whole screen is actually only 320[w]x480[h]. As the page gets longer on the iPhone, the side scroll is auto introduced by Safari. The width of the webpage will be much different from the actual resolution, given that 20 px are taken by the top[the at&t logo and stuff], 40-50px taken by the address bar[It will vanish as soon as the pages completes loading], 30px by the bottom bar[For the back, forward, book mark and stuff]. It actually lands up being a smaller resolution than expected.

Yes, There is nothing extra to maintain.

To avoid confusion b/w the league page & the iPhone page, I found a good example. There is a Indian Company that made a cool IM client which is considered to be the best till date. It is called Mundu IM iPhone. It is a full fledged IM client[NOTE: NO IRC :P] if you go to iPhone.mundu.com on your Desktop, it lands up with a page with info about it, use it with the iPhone, you get the iPhone IM page. That is all we need to implement on the league page, a page switcher.

Oh, I forgot, Ducky, iPhone is amongst the best selling phones in the world, only preceding BlackBerry. Why not create a page for the sake of convenience eh?
nahh
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

ducktape wrote:
ashvala wrote:DUcky, Buy a iPhone & log in to gu.bzleague.com you will see that you need to zoom in and do a lot of things, If you create a webpage that works for the iPhone, imagine the difference. There.

I'm not going to go buy a iphone just to view a website. How often do you go on the gu page on your iphone anyway? Not very many people would use this anyway.
Well, you dont own an iPhone, so you dont seem to know how convenient it is. I'm visiting the guleague website multiple times per day on my ipod touch.

Still I dont think we need an iPhone-specific version of the webpage... the iPhone is handling regular websites just fine and furthermore guleague isn't a webservice you spend a lot of time on. Basically its just logging in (which can be done automatically with a simple bookmark), checking bzmails, matches, maybe the team ranking. And thats it. Takes two minutes and you're done. Sure, an iPhone-specific website would be handy, but imo its not worth the effort.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Saturos wrote:
ducktape wrote:

Well, you dont own an iPhone, so you dont seem to know how convenient it is. I'm visiting the guleague website multiple times per day on my ipod touch.
Okay, you do. i didnt say no one does. some people do but compared to how many people check the site on pcs, i agree with you, its not worth the effort.
ashvala
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ashvala »

/me got the WebLeague Code! (will start working on it!)
nahh
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Not sure why everyone is so "not worth it" and "waste of time". ashvala is OFFERING to do it for us, why be so negative towards an offer that can only be useful. It's his time and energy, not yours. Let him give it a try and see what happens. :)
Like Saturos, I own an iPod Touch and actually visit the gu-website very frequently. I think it's a cool idea and a handy thing to have. Thanks for investing time in this, looking forward to see what'll become of it.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

dexter wrote:Not sure why everyone is so "not worth it" and "waste of time". ashvala is OFFERING to do it for us, why be so negative towards an offer that can only be useful. It's his time and energy, not yours. Let him give it a try and see what happens. :)
Like Saturos, I own an iPod Touch and actually visit the gu-website very frequently. I think it's a cool idea and a handy thing to have. Thanks for investing time in this, looking forward to see what'll become of it.
Well, they're the ones that will have to merge it into their web-league code (if they made any local changes to it) and they might be the one stuck with maintaining it later. So it's not like it won't be any work for them.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ashvala
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ashvala »

@blast It will be included into the webleague code completely[It has to be!]. It is just a overlay to what is present . If at ANY point there is a problem with the merge of the code, I will take personal interest in checking it & even, if privileged enough, maintain it.

The bad news being I cannot start the webleague page work right now because I have my exams in a month, I will start the work in april. But I will learn more as time goes by(i.e. Your inputs, what to put in :D)
nahh
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

blast wrote:
dexter wrote:Not sure why everyone is so "not worth it" and "waste of time". ashvala is OFFERING to do it for us, why be so negative towards an offer that can only be useful. It's his time and energy, not yours. Let him give it a try and see what happens. :)
Well, they're the ones that will have to merge it into their web-league code (if they made any local changes to it) and they might be the one stuck with maintaining it later. So it's not like it won't be any work for them.
The ones complaining won't be doing any of that possible merging or maintaining. ;)