A strange occurrence...

BZFlag related only please...please attach large images
Captain Simmons
Private First Class
Private First Class

A strange occurrence...

Post by Captain Simmons »

um, I was flying on the "Hide-N-seek hills *with Radar*" map, and went above 5000 feet mark. (might have been 6000, but I cannot remember.) anyway the screen looked as though it was being stretched, and I couldn't see the altimeter. So I fired some shots, and they looked like this! It was weird! what happened? a glitch?
bzfi0005.png
(380.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
there is no such thing as a free lunch. this undoubtedly means that you can have all the free breakfasts and dinners you want.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: A strange occurrence...

Post by JeffM »

Usually it's bad video drivers
ImageJeffM
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

JeffM wrote:Usually it's bad video drivers
I don't think it's that. On many maps I play on, if you go too high, the screen looks weird, so why would the video driver crap out, then start working as you get lower. Also, if you roam in observer, and go out far the same thing happens. I think it's just a BZ thing that happens if you get too far from the map.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes at a specific distance we don't clear the back buffer. I did not realize that was the case he was in. BZFlags graphics system is very old and does not have good code for these cases.
ImageJeffM
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

It's a well-known glitch - this definitely isn't the first time it's been documented in the forums. ;)
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
Captain Simmons
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Captain Simmons »

well, another tank reported the same problem when he flew to 6000 feet as well. so that would probably make it a glitch then I guess.
there is no such thing as a free lunch. this undoubtedly means that you can have all the free breakfasts and dinners you want.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It's a limitation in the graphics system for the game. I think the elevation you can reach before blurring depends on the world size (and maybe also how close to the center of the map you are? seems like it's almost a cone..)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

and the resolution of your depth buffer :)
ImageJeffM