Bug in Tropican8's map

BZFlag related only please...please attach large images
Post Reply
User avatar
Flash
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: Colorado

Bug in Tropican8's map

Post by Flash » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:48 am

I had SW and a glitch kicked in where it continually fired, obliterating the bot. On the other hand, it was my highest score EVER!

User avatar
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:51 pm
Location: As close to the grove as you can get

Post by Tropican8 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:24 am

Hate to disappoint you, but that's not a bug. I have the SW configured so it fires a slow pulse, random in size. 90% of the time its a dud or takes less than 1/4 of the map, but the other 10% it grows to its full size, 1000 units.

Obviously there's going to be a huge delay for a SW to grow to that size even though its already covering the entire map, which is significantly smaller. So that's actually 1 shot!!!

I'm considering reimplementing the SW vars using Spazzy's settings, which would make the SW a constant size every time.

Once Trop-Bot got it and wound up with a score of 150, making everyone who came on the server afterwards feel quite inadequate. Until someone wound up with around 300, that is.

User avatar
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 1073
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 10:27 pm
Contact:

Post by Hannibal » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:25 am

While on the subject of Trop's maps..I hopped on to Bluebox earlier, only to find an enormously slow tankspeed upon initial spawn at the base.
I assume this was intended, as as soon as I reach the teleporter on either side, tankspeed is returned to above normal.
Was that a server mod or a map/config setting? I'm thinking both.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage

User avatar
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:51 pm
Location: As close to the grove as you can get

Post by Tropican8 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:47 pm

Hannibal wrote:While on the subject of Trop's maps..I hopped on to Bluebox earlier, only to find an enormously slow tankspeed upon initial spawn at the base.
I assume this was intended, as as soon as I reach the teleporter on either side, tankspeed is returned to above normal.
Was that a server mod or a map/config setting? I'm thinking both.
THAT'S A BUG, lol.

I just tested it, seems fine. Was there an admin on messing with vars at the time?

User avatar
Flash
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: Colorado

Bug or not?

Post by Flash » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:22 am

Your explanation almost makes sense...

Except that someone joined while the bot was getting obliterated and he didn't suffer the same fate. Also, the seemingly interminable SW stopped as soon as I shot a regular bullet (which I did as an experiment to try to make it stop).

Nevertheless, you have done wonderful things for my ego.

User avatar
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 1073
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 10:27 pm
Contact:

Post by Hannibal » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:27 am

When I joined, it was just your bot and the Gimp machine. And if you forgot, I am an admin at your network.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage

User avatar
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:51 pm
Location: As close to the grove as you can get

Re: Bug or not?

Post by Tropican8 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:03 am

Flash wrote:Your explanation almost makes sense...

Except that someone joined while the bot was getting obliterated and he didn't suffer the same fate. Also, the seemingly interminable SW stopped as soon as I shot a regular bullet (which I did as an experiment to try to make it stop).

Nevertheless, you have done wonderful things for my ego.
Well, I can't re-create the bug, so, something either fixed it or it doesn't happen often enough to be a problem. Also I changed the SW vars slightly.

Post Reply