how do u make a server???

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
tomer
Private First Class
Private First Class

how do u make a server???

Post by tomer »

i need to know how to make a server.
do u have to buy somthin for it or what.
the world can be a beutiful place u just gotta know how to look at it
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

Look in the wiki. It's pretty complex, you should ask the more experienced members. I have no clue really.
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword.

Okay, you get a Bic, the orc gets a long sword.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Then he cuts you in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

It doesn't sound like you've done much research. We aren't here to be your mom and tell you how to do everything, you need to figure some stuff out for yourself.

As this is an open source game, you don't need to buy anything to run a server, usually. For example, I run a Linux server on a old p2 box in my basement, this doesn't cost me anything.

You may, if your server is popular enough/you don't have a good internet connection for your server, you may want to buy a server at a web host, such as 1and1, or something. This usually gives you a 10mbit connection, and 1000-2000gb of bandwidth for a month. Most BZFlag servers only use 50-300gig a month, depending on popularity.

Getting back to your orginal question about running a server, here is a link to the wiki, I think you can click on the "server" link yourself.

Wiki - http://my.bzflag.org/w/

Now, you should know that running a server is not that easy, since there is no GUI to do it through, you need a few things:
- configuration file (conf.txt)
- group file (group.txt)
- map file (mapfile.bzw)
- BZFS (comes with your BZFlag install, usually.)

Ill leave the rest to you.

- Kyle

Also, try to put stuff in the right topic, it lets us help you easier.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

thanks for the 1and1 idea :p
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Also, rather than renting or buying your own server (although that give you a good deal of flexibility), talk to someone else first to see if they would host for you. If you just have a map that you want to host, post it here on the board and perhaps someone will like it and put it up. If you actually want to run a server (set up, configure, administer, maintain it), then talk to Tadd, Gnurdux, Cruel Dog, me, or anyone else you can think of who would be willing to do something like that.