How many fps do you get ??? (Frames Per Second)

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

Davy Jones wrote:depends which television "Set" your talking about, i'm positive the newer models aren't that low - and we're not really talking about Television either, computer games with a 10fps difference can really stand out.
29.97 fps, built from an interlaced screen refresh rate of 59.94 Hz, is the defined frame rate for both the NTSC and NTSC/HD television standards. All televisions in North America (as well as parts of South America and parts of Asia) are built on those standards.

The PAL standard is 25 fps, built from an interlaced screen refresh rate of 50 Hz. All televisions in most of Europe, Australia, and parts of Asia run on that standard.

The current international standard for film is 24 fps. No interlacing, just a flat 24 fps at a cel flash rate of 24 Hz.

Also, since we're talking about video games, remember that console games operate at THE TELEVISION SET'S STANDARDS. Yes, that's right, all those nifty X-Box360 and Wii and PS3 games are only running at just under 30 fps.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
Anthony
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Anthony »

i found and turend off power saver (dident look very hard :) ) now im getting 50 to 90 :slick:
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Just got my nvidia geforce 8500 with 1gb of memory, at 1440x900 usually get about 300fps now :)
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: How many fps do you get ??? (Frames Per Second)

Post by Mark_IV »

What settings offer maximum FPS. And also, which Video Format.
Right now I use 2048*1152 @60hz 32 BIT
My settings are
Dithering: ON
Blending: ON
Smoothing: ON
Lighting: Best
Texturing: Linear MipMap Linear
AntiFlicker: ON
Antisotropic 16/16
Quality: High
Shadows Stipple
Brightness: [---------O-----]
Energy Saver: Off
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Mark_IV wrote:What settings offer maximum FPS. And also, which Video Format.
That's a loaded question. However, the low end settings generally perform slower on modern hardware. The low settings are designed for software rendering and use techniques that modern video cards/chipsets do not optimize for. Shadows will probably lower your FPS, as will lighting and Antisotropic. The resolution will also come into play (higher resolution = lower FPS).

However, we have no idea what your FPS currently is, so you might not even need to boost your FPS. If you're getting more than 200 FPS (or maybe even 150), you'll probably start to have issues with the game. Our simulation code isn't designed for an extremely high FPS.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

Right now I get a steady 59 FPS. So you said shadows, lighting, and antusotropic will lower FPS. Should I turn them all off?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you are getting a steady 59, you probably have Vertical Sync turned on in your video drivers. VSync limits the FPS to your screen's refresh rate.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

Ok, any idea on how to turn that off.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

Depends on your operating system and GPU manufacturer (Intel, ATI/AMD, or nVidia), as each combination produces radically different steps for accessing driver-level video control properties.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

Oh, so I shouldn't bother changing it. Is 59 FPS good enough to play?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Mark_IV wrote:Oh, so I shouldn't bother changing it. Is 59 FPS good enough to play?
A TV displays at ~60 fps and films at the theater at 24 fps; so it is perfectly fine... all you are looking for is fluid motion.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Unless you have a specific reason to want a higher FPS, 59/60 is just fine. Your system will run cooler and draw less power compared to if you turn off vsync to run at a higher FPS. Also, if you do turn off VSync, you may experience screen tearing.

Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

Ok, thanks.
Dr Robotnik
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dr Robotnik »

My new shiny ATi Radeon 5770 gets up to 400FPS on some maps. My CPU (Phenom II x4 at 3.20ghz) munches through BZFlag also.
Admin and Support Supervisor for BZAddict. Need a BZFlag map hosted? Register today at bzaddict.net!
My Maps: Plaza (bzaddict.net 5198) Final Zone Collab (bzaddict.net 5199
Snooping as usual I see? Yes, yes you are.