What Brightness Setting Do You Use In The Game?

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

What Brightness Setting Do You Use In The Game?

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Hello, it's my first ever thread in the Players forum section, so be nice. On the scale from 1-15, what brightness setting do you use? If you don't know how to check, you go to the Main Menu>Options>Display Settings and then go down to brightness.

I use the highest setting (15) usually, but I want to know what other people use so when making/adjusting textures I can appeal to the greatest number of people.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

well i use 8-10. i dont know exactly, cause i hadnt looked.

I cant play with 15 brightness thats too brightly.
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

I sometimes set the brightness up one or two notches above the default, if I remember to set it on a new install. I have a new 22" LCD monitor that is very bright and I am just using the default setting in BZ for that.

One thing I have noticed... You need more brightness if you are going to play with lighting turned on. On my old nVidia card, I couldn't have lighting on at all without killing my frame rate; with lighting off, the images in BZ are actually pretty bright. But on my current machines, that will support lighting (I am running "best" lighting on both) I really need more brightness. The lighting feature makes a lot of use of shading to create the lighting effects and this makes the image darker.

Also, sometimes when I am not playing well my teammates tell me I am not very bright, so I am thinking maybe I should raise my brightness level a bit.
:doh:
Retired Army--Proud to have served
Armored Cavalry Crewman, 1981-1984 (M60A5)
Infantry Officer & Paratrooper, 1984-1986
US Army Ranger & Sniper, 1986-1989 (LRSD)

Water Cooled 8-Core Ryzen 7 2700x @ 3.7GHz | Radeon RX590 GPU | 43" 4K Monitor
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

Same as Sky King for me, pretty much. When I first started playing BZ, my machine couldn't handle lighting without dropping to single-digit frame rates. After I got a better machine, I first started without lighting and everything looked the same. Then I started activating lighting and discovered that I had to turn brightness up quite a bit to get the same brilliance.

As to answering the actual question for this thread - I actually have "brightness" turned off. Instead, I've just simply set my OpenGL gamma to 2.0 on the video card itself, which gives me the correct lighting level. I think that's setting 10 or 11 in the game...
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)