Question

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
Dont kill me im a beginer
Private
Private

Question

Post by Dont kill me im a beginer »

How can Persons be an Admin?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

By being a kind/helpful player and not asking if they can be an admin.

And did you realize that you spell "me" wrong in your name and in-game for chat?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Evanejk »

This is how it works, each server has it's own set of admins and they pick people they like to also be admins if they feel like it. There are also people called cops that don't have all admin privlages but can still ban kick and do other things.
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

Now evan... its not just people thy like...
i kno a couple people that i would never admin because they take control of there powers and misuse them... or wouldnt help the server...

but yeh you are chosen to be an admin or cop... they are different

cop=flaggive kick and short ban

admin= flaggive, kick, ban, setvar( messing with sets... jumpvelocity)
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

silver surfer wrote:cop=flaggive kick and short ban

admin= flaggive, kick, ban, setvar( messing with sets... jumpvelocity)
That really isn't how it is. Every server makes their own decisions on what their cops and admins and and cannot do. Many servers have 3 or even 4 levels of admins, and I do not know of any that would give flaggive to cops, I for one would be too afraid it would be abused. And I would say most servers don't give /set to anyone but the owner, and sometimes not even then.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

donny_baker wrote:And I would say most servers don't give /set to anyone but the owner, and sometimes not even then.
Wait, are you saying some server owners don't even give themselves permission to do /set?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Jefenry wrote:
donny_baker wrote:And I would say most servers don't give /set to anyone but the owner, and sometimes not even then.
Wait, are you saying some server owners don't even give themselves permission to do /set?
He said "anyone BUT the owner", meaning only the owner.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

blast wrote:And did you realize that you spell "me" wrong in your name and in-game for chat?
I don't think he did =) He also spelt "beginner" wrong.

Anyway, just to add something quickly, don't be one of those people who try and over-do things just because they want that sexy "@" next to their name. Just be a friendly, honest player and someday you'll be recognized.
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trainee »

Grace F wrote: that sexy "@"
That is a whole new way to think about @. :)

(If you see anyone with the screen name "that sexy @," it isn't me.)
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

'Being an admin' is badly represented by many as being a status symbol in BZFlag. The administrative tools are there to maintain the game for the players, kick out the cheaters and make the game more civilized. If you desire to be an admin, you are either falsely informed or just want to go on a power trip.

In many ways 'being an admin' is often more of a hardship. You need to be constantly alert for misbehavior, and often deal with whining players. It can distract from the game greatly - partly the reason why many admins keep alternative callsigns that have admin status as hidden.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> In many ways 'being an admin' is often more of a hardship. You need to be constantly alert for misbehavior, and often
> deal with whining players. It can distract from the game greatly - partly the reason why many admins keep alternative
> callsigns that have admin status as hidden.

Well said. Another thing to consider is whether you should have admin status. Do you know how to kick, ban, and silence people? Do you know how to deal appropriately with cheaters? How about those that tend to "exercise their freedom of speech?" Not only does being @ require technical prowess (to some degree), you also know how to effectively deal with people.

In the more abstract, each player has a special BZRole, and you should try to find and fit into that role as well as possible. Some people are mapmakers, some are server operators, and some are admins. Some are n00bs, some are 1337. It all depends on what you're good at.