What Makes A Good Teammate?

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
Post Reply
The Vet
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 4:35 am
Location: Huntsville, AL
Contact:

What Makes A Good Teammate?

Post by The Vet » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:48 pm

A while back, we asked what makes a good BZFlag player. So to level up, what makes a good BZFlag teammate?

- Communicates well
- Watches your back
- Cooperates
- Doesn't tk or do stuff to mess things up

User avatar
Astroman
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:27 am

Post by Astroman » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:53 pm

-Dosn't freak out when you accidently tk him/her.
-Dosn't tk repetedly or on purpose.
-Will work with the team (instead of as a loner).
-Complements the team when they cap or geno. (everybody likes to be complemented)
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." -Mary Gardiner Brainard

F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:30 pm

Post by F687/s » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:45 pm

Hmm...

- Well, for starters a good teammate is a good player.
- Also, a good teamwork understands the map, it's layout, and what is best for the team. If it's an FFA, they should protect their teammate. More on CTFs later.
- A good teammate should use the team channel effectively. Messages like "ST mid" or "geno" help quite a bit to raise awareness to the situation. A good teammate SHOULD NOT spam the team channel!
- A good teammate should help his teammates wisely. For example, TKing somebody is always bad, even where you may think it is justifiable (such as "if they have geno", "if they are tking", "if they have a bad flag/about to die anyway"...)

User avatar
macsforme
General
General
Posts: 2024
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:43 am

Post by macsforme » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:30 pm

F687/s wrote:For example, TKing somebody is always bad, even where you may think it is justifiable (such as "if they have geno", "if they are tking", "if they have a bad flag/about to die anyway"...)
I would beg to disagree. If done in very specific situations and followed by an apologetic explanation, I don't see why team killing can't be effective sometimes. In CTF games in particular, you can save a high percentage of your team from dying (and possibly save your flag from capture) by killing a teammate as they are about to be shot with Genocide. Likewise, if you have a Shock Wave and are in position to stop a capture, you would likely fire it even if there were teammates in range.

Sometimes the good of the team has to come before the good of individual players.

(Note that this is all on a strictly pragmatic point of view; if the server rules forbid team killing, then it's obviously not a commendable action.)

dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:36 am
Location: Germany :o)

Post by dexter » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:51 pm

Are we talking about the standard public server team mates, or league team mates? There's a decisive difference.

F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:30 pm

Post by F687/s » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:05 pm

Constitution wrote:I would beg to disagree. If done in very specific situations and followed by an apologetic explanation, I don't see why team killing can't be effective sometimes. In CTF games in particular, you can save a high percentage of your team from dying (and possibly save your flag from capture) by killing a teammate as they are about to be shot with Genocide. Likewise, if you have a Shock Wave and are in position to stop a capture, you would likely fire it even if there were teammates in range.
Yes, but if you had the uber-1337 skillz to pull this off and do it in a way that looks as though you cared about your team, then you would be a very good teammate already. But those are very specialized examples that have about a 1/1000 chance of happening to you, and there's almost a better way around the situation.

(I might have been a bit misleading with my "if they have geno" comment. There are a few people that will kill a teammate with geno because they distrust the holder, and think they will TK or SK.)

Joe B
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:31 pm

Post by Joe B » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:29 pm

F687/s wrote:
Constitution wrote:I would beg to disagree. If done in very specific situations and followed by an apologetic explanation, I don't see why team killing can't be effective sometimes. In CTF games in particular, you can save a high percentage of your team from dying (and possibly save your flag from capture) by killing a teammate as they are about to be shot with Genocide. Likewise, if you have a Shock Wave and are in position to stop a capture, you would likely fire it even if there were teammates in range.
Yes, but if you had the uber-1337 skillz to pull this off and do it in a way that looks as though you cared about your team, then you would be a very good teammate already. But those are very specialized examples that have about a 1/1000 chance of happening to you, and there's almost a better way around the situation.

(I might have been a bit misleading with my "if they have geno" comment. There are a few people that will kill a teammate with geno because they distrust the holder, and think they will TK or SK.)
Believe it or not that 1/1000 chance happens more than you think. In missile war, enemy geno often hide in the pyramids a team mate walks right into them, if I have a gm out in the field(I often do) I'm gonna lock on and tk. With any luck the geno will have already fired a few shots and lost their geno. This helps the team further.

Strangely it is bad manners to self-destruct if you think you will get geno'd.

User avatar
macsforme
General
General
Posts: 2024
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:43 am

Post by macsforme » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:44 am

dexter wrote:Are we talking about the standard public server team mates, or league team mates? There's a decisive difference.
I was talking about teammates in CTF games with superflags. Note that the examples I gave had the Genocide and Shock Wave flags. Most of the leagues that I'm aware of do not use superflags.

Post Reply