Your BZFlag Hero/Master

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
War Pig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Your BZFlag Hero/Master

Post by War Pig »

Wow, I am just amazed that anyone would mention me in this topic. I am humbled, and grateful. Thank you.

For me,there are sooo many to list, I can't pick a single most influential. From a playing perspective, my "aha moment" came early on when I discovered how to observe others. I observe a LOT, and I usually find there is a lesson to be learned from each of them, regardless of their skill level. The first one that really influenced me was Bisque, whom I haven't seen on in a long time. He was a great player, and an all around great guy.

As an admin, I have learned something from almost all of my peers; joevano in particular. He's the only one to have ever banned me for anything :P Constitution (I think) impressed upon me the importance of noobs to the long-term viability of our game. Without them we are doomed. Is like humanity banning babies, in the short term its less chaotic (and less stinky), but its not sustainable long-term. Thanks to Purple Panzer for picking me out of the crowd and giving me my first @ badge all those years ago. Blast for being helpful, knowledgeable, and endlessly entertaining. Thanks guys.

I'll add Green Manalishi to my list too. He is always one of my favorite players, a great admin, and a really nice guy. I love to work my way to the bottom of the score board, then hunt him. "OMG I'm being pwnt by the lowest guy on the list!" :P

wp
<life> <!-- insert something interesting here --> </life>
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

War Pig!

I forgot to mention you back in my OP well over two years ago but you definitely are on my list! :D
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

war pig, you should not be amazed no matter how many people would mention you as a bz hero. thanks for your kind words about me. those who think i'm a gloating retarded ever-n00b must be wrong after all... :roll:
War Pig wrote: I love to work my way to the bottom of the score board, then hunt him. "OMG I'm being pwnt by the lowest guy on the list!" :P
lool, nice try at rationalizing your sinkage to the bottom of the scoreboard whenever we play against each other. you're so "never" pwning me wherever on the list you may be and we all know it. 8)
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Throughout the years I have played BZFlag, I have found players I have become really attached to and players who have helped me in ways that have changed my life.

There is one player who really influenced what I am today. He uses the username OoO in this game. He is a great person and gave me his server to use for my purposes. It made me learn how to use a linux server, a couple of web programming and computer programming languages, and the ability to create and develop beyond my limited scope. He does not play anymore and deals with many life matters, but I want you to know OoO that you are the most influential person in my life.

Beyond that, I am very grateful for Constitution, nn, and Cruel Dog in similar matters, for jump starting my career and life to move to bigger and better things.

Warinthestar. One of the first people who introduced me to the twists and turns of administrating a server and being a trusted and caring administrator.

You 5 are the ones who truly helped me through BZFlag and I am glad. I am sure the rest of the BZ community is worth mentioning as they all have special attributes and contributions of their own of course I would not know them, and many others who have been mentioned in this forum thread already are great people, and I am glad we have such a close and caring family of tankers all here to help and pwn each other. (That means you The Green Manalishi, I will never forget.)
MACGOSS
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MACGOSS »

I almost never post...mostly because of 3 kids and busy life. But this thread has caught my eye...I have so many friends and bz foes too numerous to mention but I'll try (in no particular order) R3lax, Optic Delusion, Enigma, Bambino, Tedius, Ahs3, Thumper, Junker, Grace F, BB Gun, Orbit, Darth Vader, Swigg, A Met, Bisque, sse, Elmer, Thurin, Naked Penguin, Lodxcol, A Scottsman Gone Commando, Blaster Wisconsin, Bobcat 341,Nick G, Constitution, Badgerking, Louman, Smooooth, Think_Tank, Joker, Gravyman, Hannibal and others whom I will remember when I go to bed and who flame mail me for forgetting them. I will update the list as I recall others... :doh:
Pesky_UK
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Pesky_UK »

Without a doubt Manu - never a cross word from him and he is /was always willing to listen and help. RIP viper.pimpi

Who else? Alcatraz, Viking and all the other 'old timers' from Two Castles. I had many years of good, playful banter with them and always enjoyed their company.
Find our @bz_flag unofficial group chat on Telegram at https://t.me/bz_flag
Pimpinella
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Pimpinella »

Well, viper.pimpi is of course up and alive. Not quite as populated as it used to ;)

Pimpi
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

sigonasr2 wrote: and I am glad we have such a close and caring family of tankers all here to help and pwn each other. (That means you The Green Manalishi, I will never forget.)
/me hails one of the best dodgers in the game, who luckily has little clue about using power flags so he can actually be pwnt from time to time. 8)
Saul of Tarsus
Private
Private

Post by Saul of Tarsus »

AD Epoch wrote:Though I must admit that there are sooooo many other great peopel to play with and against, but I'm not sure a list is what you were wanting,
D3ad Turtle...
constitution...
D3adduck...
Saul of Tarsus...
llrr...
and many more I can't quite remember right now.
Thank you AD Epoch for the mention. I always kept you in my scope when you had Agility flag. :D I don't get on this forum much so as you can see I'm a little late to the post. :D

I have always played Missile War since I started playing bzflag, never thought a simple game like this would keep me hooked but it did and I'm glad.

When I first started playing I could not go 5 or more seconds without getting killed but I stuck it out at Missile War and there I met “Bobcat 341” we killed each other over and over or I should say he killed me a lot. I learned from watching him play and killing me. He does not talk much and when I end up on his team he will switch to the other side because he likes getting pwned by me now.

I knew there was a turning point in my game play when I could pwn “Enigma” and make em cry like a girly man. Lol

There was another guy named BaNkErs or something like that. I mention him because he could talk every few seconds. He could also kill me and have a paragraph message to say about how he killed me and that Bankers own everything and everyone else are slaves to the bankers.

To name some others:

Joker
D3ad Turtle
D3aduck
AD Epoch
War Pig
zman
chickenfarmer
Colonel
pastorT
t-roy
Joop
Ureeka Smurffin
button
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by button »

Gforce cause he's hawt
Last edited by button on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Well my list has changed over time and I didn't want to post a second time. I'm grateful to:
  • ahs3 for teaching me about server administration and how to run servers
  • flying_popcorn for introducing me into coding and writing scripts and plug-ins for BZFlag
  • Jefenry for teaching a lot about map making
  • blast, BulletCatcher, and JeffM for helping and teaching me more about code during my time developing for BZFlag
  • kierra for always being an awesome person willing to help whenever I needed it
  • alezakos for being an amazing help and teacher when it came to BZiON and influencing me to learn more about the Symfony framework
There are several others I may have forgotten to mention but these were the people who first came to mind. I mean no offense to anyone I may have not mentioned, you're all still my heroes <3

Note
I edited my post since I didn't want to make a new post.
Last edited by allejo on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
poops
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by poops »

Ahem, only Ahem wherever he/she is now, thank you. You made an old man very happy :)
Iskskskks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Iskskskks »

My heros are Road toad,bobcat341,pp,heartnet,r3lax,brad,kierra,T-Roy,boost,button,slime,War pig,Orbit and Joker. :D
Last edited by Iskskskks on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tank Terminator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tank Terminator »

My Hero is linuxdude2. i respect him very much
Tank Terminator, BZFlag Player
ChaoticFangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ChaoticFangUp »

Easy Tank & Constitution.
There are a lot of friends I have on BZFlag, but this two are the biggest "Heros" for me. :)
Marshall... yes, I am!
Linux - Fedora 16 Power!
pastorT
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pastorT »

wow, I'm honored to have made this list at all... all appreciation can be forwarded on to the players who showed me the ropes: War Pig, Joop, Flag Alert!!!, joker, and, of course, chickenfarmer -- thanks all!

It would be interesting to see a flow chart of bz influence, like a coaching tree; that's just the nerd in me coming out, but it would be interesting to see who's been influenced by a particular player's style and strategy.

Thanks again, look forward to more great games :)
ZE BOZZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ZE BOZZ »

Id say Green and Horton, for sheer skill and humor. Two great teachers and great friends that raised me up from noobieness ;) and i've surpassed them on every level O.o lol They are real BOZZ'es :D
•• •• •• •• ••
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J.R.R. Tolkien
dang dizzy white
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dang dizzy white »

Although the rules on his maps were kind of special in an annoying way, I'll go with sigonasr2. He was practically the only user on the forums who actually helped others out and did not have a special rank. Furthermore, his HTF maps always surprised me, from the Jumping Skillz, to the Tower. It felt like he lived in his world of plugins. He indeed did go out with a big bang (or at least wanted to), but hey, you have to be ready to receive that at any time.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

ZE BOZZ wrote:Id say Green and Horton, for sheer skill and humor. Two great teachers and great friends that raised me up from noobieness ;) and i've surpassed them on every level O.o lol They are real BOZZ'es :D
not sure what i've done to help you out of n00btown but it's always fun playing against & messing with you.. but putting modesty aside for a moment, i do think i'm the bruce springsteen of bzflag. :slick:

..'cause tanks like us, baby we were born to pwn..
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

Green is my dude. Known him for years and he's always a lot of fun since he's so friendly and competitive.

Probably one of my first heroes was Tread Baron, from years and years ago (so he probably will never read this). I met him years ago around the time 2.0.0 came out and we'd always dogfight on his server and I think Hide N Seek Hills too. He would always kick my butt, but he had such a sense of humor about it (like coming up with the "Kill Dartman Show") that it was always fun and never frustrating. He ended up teaching me a lot about dogfighting, and HNSH is still one of my favorite maps even if it's kind of weird.

Speaking of that map, I also have to give credit to phantom, who I used to see on there pretty often. He was very quiet, but also really really skilled, especially with dodging. We had a lot of dogfights that would go on for like 10 minutes, haha. Then, jumping forward in time, there are also Leibniz and Tamarack, who helped me evolve my skills and are just always a lot of fun to play against. And of course there's Tanx, who totally changed the game on that map with his laser skills. Love/hate/mostly-love his obstacle course too!

Obviously I would also have to include all the GU and Duc people too. I haven't been in the leagues very long but it didn't take long to notice that the community there is great and all the people I've met so far have been cool. Honestly if it wasn't for that I probably would've just stopped playing completely. Thanks to pam and hj for convincing me to join GU, and Snake and Khonk for bringing me into Reptiles and training me. Also to jadespacy for the help on Duc, and for sticking by and supporting an awesome old school map like Two Castles that was mega-popular back when I first started playing. And of course a texas man for all the 1v1s on public ducati before I joined--always fun to play and chat with, and I learned a lot from you! Not to mention kierra, who's probably one of the nicest players in the entire game. Orange Peanut is really cool too.

Louman gets credit for being the best mapmaker IMO. Wish he was still active, but he released an awesome body of work and I remember him being a very chill guy and it was always fun playing against him on his maps. I still remember the time we were playing 1v1 on Bridges, and I lucked out so hard by stealing WG from him while he was flying over the water...good times. :P Mystic Valley is still one of my favorite maps--shoutout to Joe 90 who's my buddy on there! :)

A Meteorite for giving me my first admin role on his BZFX server, back when Boxy Wars was huge. Also BinarySpike who was an admin with me. Learned a lot from the two of them and had countless great times. And now there's Animal Lover, who is an awesome mapmaker and really cool person. It's so great to see someone with such a friendly personality put together a fun, well-designed map like Great Wall of China and then see regular players flock to it and develop a sense of sportsmanship, teamwork, and friendly competition very much akin to what you find in the leagues. And I'm really honored to be a part of that. It reminds me of how BZFlag in general felt back when I first started playing.

There are so many others I could mention, but obviously this is already a very long post so it's probably best I don't. I think I covered most of the main ones, and the rest know who they are. :)

Also,
BAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN!!!!
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

competitive is the word! i'm not really gloating or whining. i'm just being... competitive. :P you're sure hero material too, having hung on to this game for so long. i remember playing against you on the no-radar wilderness map and that must be close to a decade. i wouldn't mind having another decade of mutual pwnage and music chatter.

suw33t post altogether that will bring back memories, like it did for me.

dartman wrote:Green is my dude. Known him for years and he's always a lot of fun since he's so friendly and competitive.