Admin Bashing, bad language by admins

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
Dodgson
Private
Private

Admin Bashing, bad language by admins

Post by Dodgson »

...And nothing happens by the harsh, arrogant kicking or banning message "...your ass". Fine, nice.

You not only have to be polite with some admins, you have to **vulgarity censored** [bend to their will] to be happy (my language? see the "kicking language")

In the same issue. That admins are, to say plainly, unskilled map scripters... or worse, I'm affraid. In some maps they need a rule to prevent the enough-ambiguous-to be-always-useful "spawinklling" (the spawnkilling can it be a mistake, but they assure in the banning message: "you know", oh! they are into my brain too! X-D). It's very useful: you can ban almost everybody. The punisment is too suitably undefined by the rule: you can get a kick, an insult or a ban, the admin choose. Fascism? My political vision is personaly clear at it. Further, they can script the map in order to prevent it authomatically with a world weapon or other "trick", but they prefer that rule. The sequence is clear for me: if you complaint or whatever they consider they don't like, you are banned by means the suitable ambiguity of tha rule. Tricky.

I'll defend myself from that admins (one of them expressed the clever he was, the very, very clever he was when he banned me, but it's unable to script the map to prevent in a fair manner the spawnkilling. Clever admin. As clever as the mafia.)
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Admin Bashing, bad language by admins

Post by Bambino »

Wow, I would suggest PMing the admin who banned you as well as the server owner to file a admin complaint. If the server owner banned you, nothing you can do about it. I also prefer to stay away from poorly admined servers as they tend to have "newer" admins who are more anxious to "test" out there new found powers. Many maps are setup for spawnkilling of some sort and have the world weapon on cap. Some are more like "SPAWN KILL AND YOUR FINISHED!!!" style servers. I hope this gets cleared up with the correct people.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I think I am aware of that which you speak Dodgson, and I can guarantee it was not a newer admin, nor was it a poorly admined server. While 'ass' is probably a harsh thing to put in a ban message, I definitely do not think the word is bad language, and I will point you to http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ass (while one of the forms does have vulgar connotations I really don't think that is the case in the usage you are complaining about). From experience, I have dealt with players where the label fits extremely well. Whether a player agrees with an admin or not, they still obligated to listen to them while on their server. The player has 2 options, to listen and obey or to leave and not play there. Those are really the players only 2 options. Playing on a specific server is not a right, it is a privilege that the server owner gives you. The server owner and admin team provide the framework that the server will operate on (rules, hardware, bandwidth) and have full control of what happens on the server. Arguing or not listening probably will earn the player the title you do not like. Admins enforce the rules as they see them, and ban/kick when they do not receive cooperation or appropriate responses. They are there to keep the peace and enforce the rules, not to cater to someone elses interpretation of them. Period. If the server has bad admins it will die no matter how good the map is. Vote with your tank...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Additionally to snipers proposal you could report your case on the server (but not all servers have the report functionality activated).

Code: Select all

/report Here comes your message (maximal 128 characters)
However there is no guarantee, that the server-owner will check the reports periodical.
Dodgson wrote:Fascism?
As side remark, generally all servers are basically dictatory (till now I even don't know one sole exception). Like always there is never total black or white, so for example some servers tend to be a little bit democratical, despite of being dictatory.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Yes, servers are dictatorships, pure and simple. Democracy would not make sense on a server. You do not pay to play on them, you are allowed to play on them. The better and more prominent servers that host BZFlag maps cost the owners real money. Just because the game and gameplay are free does not mean that BZFlag is not costing people cold hard cash. They are not run on home dsl/cable machines, but rather are in dedicated server hosting centers. They come with a monthly cost, and the server owners graciously allow you free access... with terms. PlanetMoFo costs ~$75/month (~$900/year), I know because I donated my hard earned cash to run it for one month . If the owner started charging you a fee to play, then you may have some say in the way they are run. But until that happens, you must take the server rules and admins or not play on the server. And unlike real dictatorships, if you don't like the one you are at you can try the next one down the street. You'll get no sympathy from anyone and they would probably be happy to see you go...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Dodgson
Private
Private

Post by Dodgson »

My point about language is not "bad words" but they insulting to me. I've suffered harashment, and in a typically mafia procedure, they accused me to harash when I defendended myself. Further. Some of them, not the admins, but people who PMed admins as they reckon, used the "tricky" cheat of go observer and say to a "selected" player where I was while I was using Stealth flag. Me complaning produced a ban.

I inroduced the word "fascism" because I used the nick "Ronald Reagan" and that people show themselves as they really are.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you're "suffering" so much, then stop playing at that server. Seems overly dramatic.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)