BZFlag has become less fun

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
WorldOfTanks23
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag has become less fun

Post by WorldOfTanks23 »

Compared to the good old days of around the century I find BZFlag a lot less fun these days. There are too many maps with shot limits, wings and few places to camp anymore. The maps themselves are getting too complicated such as Secretplace 1.9, which should be simple such as Secretplace 1.6. Another good example is Big Mad City, which is a mod of Mad City. Too big and complicated with stupid textures which don't add anything to the gameplay and they changed it around so one can't camp anymore.

I think BZFlag is losing its soul. It should be clean and simple fun.
Last edited by WorldOfTanks23 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blast
General
General

Re: BZFlag has become less fun

Post by blast »

Run your own server then. :)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

haven't you heard yet?

This is the era of tankers whining about campers.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

And geno bait...
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

make your own map. keep it clean and simple...dont whine, just try it yourself
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trainee »

I don't think the maps make the game, although there are a few maps on which I don't play. I think that the players that make the game. As the years pass, I continue to try to play better, although there are a lot of players whose skill seems to surpass mine after they have only been playing for a few hours. :D

I find bzf more fun than I did before and wish that more people would play.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

it's natural to long for old maps, old friends etc. but i too find the community and the game experience to be better than 5 years ago, when i first started playing.. there will inevitably be a contingent of unpleasant, over-ambitious, whining players. from my observation they seem to be drawn to the leagues these days (though surely a minority there too). playing on public servers exclusively, i'm happy not to be affected by them in any way. i find the typical n00b you meet on public servers to be much more tolerable than those types. *
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trainee »

Green Manalishi wrote:a contingent of unpleasant, over-ambitious, whining players. ... they seem to be drawn to the leagues these days. ... i find the typical n00b you meet on public servers to be much more tolerable than those types. *
Notwithstanding the possibility of encountering such players on a league server, there is also the potential of a level of camaraderie on a team in a league that is not found on many public servers, except badgerking, Army of One, and perhaps MOFO and a couple others. On the other hand, the competition in a league can be intense. Regardless, there is a majority of affable players in the leagues, many of whom are your faithful friends. :D

In the "league" theme, my musical quote, the meaning of which I do not have any idea:

And all the land, all the seas, All the landscape will freeze
Say goodbye to the angels in your heart!
And all the woods and the beasts, all the life forms cease being
When you cry winter winds sing straight to my heart...
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

yes, i know about the friendships that can develop in teams and that some of my best bz friends happen to be league players too. again, i'm sure those over-competitive losers are in the minority.

nice cool lyrics there.
Starski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Starski »

i just try to hang around mature players that makes it more fun for me.
"You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist"
-Gandhi

FKA Danji

Bad Company -> http://www.guleague.org/Teams/?profile=1001
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trainee »

Green Manalishi wrote:nice cool lyrics there.
The lyrics are from The Black League. Since we were talking "leagues," I was attempting to keep my lyrical quote within the "league" theme. (I had to google "league" and "lyrics" and "heavy metal," taking several seconds of intense and painstaking investigation and research.) (It's the detective in me.)
Dr Robotnik
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dr Robotnik »

I dont find camping as annoying as team killing. Now that is the current issue. Just yesterday I was team killed 5 times within a short amount of time. Perhaps I should had been more careful, but other times it was the other person.

I think textures add to the character of a map-makes it different.
Admin and Support Supervisor for BZAddict. Need a BZFlag map hosted? Register today at bzaddict.net!
My Maps: Plaza (bzaddict.net 5198) Final Zone Collab (bzaddict.net 5199
Snooping as usual I see? Yes, yes you are.
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

I just explored when i got bored of bzflag. I started making maps and attempting league play. Just do whatever makes you wanna play and try to get better at it and more sillfull.
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

get involved in a league.. also i like to try and find cool rico and camp spots on maps now. i enjoy 2tanks and if you just drop off the edge of the wheel on the tank near the base you can shoot at spawner's without them being able to hit u back :) but don't... cause people dont like it.
Mets
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mets »

I do think the game is still fun, but I think it was more fun a few years ago. Perhaps that was because of the maps that were popular then, and the people that were on them. I think the game could very much use a graphics update, and I think it would be nice if the community as a whole could pick some new maps to play on, but I understand that dev work and map making all take time, and this game is a volunteer effort, and most of us chip in all the extra time we have as it is.