New player shooting

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
yosef
Private First Class
Private First Class

New player shooting

Post by yosef »

I'm sure this probably has been brought up before, and there's no way/will to implement it, but why can't there be a way to identify new players so that (perchance) players might go easy on them (if they feel like it)? Otherwise you get situations where it's noob + a few not tooo bad players vs. fantastic players, and this can quickly dissuade players from coming back.

Like 'hunt' them automatically for a few seconds?
--9/12 Taking an extended break from this beloved game to return to RL. Look for me at the starbow's end...
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: New player shooting

Post by Bambino »

Well...if their score is 1-20 or they shoot randomly in base, never talk, or all 3, then they might be a noob, that's just my personaly opinion.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Do you honestly think people would go EASIER on them? Sure some would, but for others it would turn them into worse cannon fodder than they are now...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

There is already a subtle handicap feature available in BZFS - but not many popular servers use it.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
yosef
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by yosef »

What does the handicap do?
--9/12 Taking an extended break from this beloved game to return to RL. Look for me at the starbow's end...
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Depending on how it's set, the people with lower scores shoot faster, turn faster, tanks go faster... Really fun when you blow yourself up for a few min and then own everyone at high speed :P
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

There's not really any way to identify "newb" players, some veteran players could have bad scores and vice versa. Also, like joe said, automatically identifying them ingame wouldn't help much. If they really think people would go easy on them, they could always just put "newb" or something like that in their email... :roll:
scorchgeek
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by scorchgeek »

Quantum Tank wrote:they could always just put "newb" or something like that in their email... :roll:
I've seen people like that and am always tempted to tell them to remove it...even for me it tends to give me a feeling of "this player doesn't know what he/she is doing".

IMHO, identifying "newb" players would make 80% of people hunt them because it's an easy point. The other 20% who go easy on them would not make up for this.

And as Quantum Tank said, really good players can have a bad day, and having the game identify them as "newb" would not be very fun for anyone.
Home Guard
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Home Guard »

Yah, on behalf of noobs (several months in, but still very much a noob) we have to accept that if we want to play then we PLAY. It can be disheartening and many of my friends I recommended the game to simply gave up because they were tired of dying, but this seems to be true of most online games worth their salt, and probably it's one of the reasons why the game is so addictive...
Fortunately, there are some great players who will play 1vs1 on a quiet server and teach/practice with you.
One day, I'll get a positive score....
sos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sos »

yosefk wrote:I'm sure this probably has been brought up before, and there's no way/will to implement it, but why can't there be a way to identify new players so that (perchance) players might go easy on them (if they feel like it)? Otherwise you get situations where it's noob + a few not tooo bad players vs. fantastic players, and this can quickly dissuade players from coming back.

Like 'hunt' them automatically for a few seconds?
I like the idea that new players are "marked". I know how difficult it was in the beginning myself. But you can just write some in the email string. Like new player or something
darkid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by darkid »

And, as has been stated, you will either:
Be ignored, and any kill you make will be attributed to luck
Be watched, and constantly murdered for points.

Unfortunately, this is rather what happens anyways, since new players are easy to identify.
Darkid--Not a happy camper.
Sniper752
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sniper752 »

Bambino wrote:Well...if their score is 1-20
i would say if their score is >5 because i am not a noob (played for a few years) and and extremely happy if i can exeed 20
and, btw , there is this thing called negative scores
[center]::|:|::|Sniper752|::|:|::
Map Maker
Avid Airsofter
Owner: Hosting.BZAddict.net ports 5242 and 5243
Admin: bzsupreme.webarts.bc.ca[/center]
darkid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by darkid »

1-20 means 1 kill, 20 deaths.
NOT 1 to 20 points.
Darkid--Not a happy camper.
enrico123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by enrico123 »

Why do you want to ident noobs
it ridiculous becasue

1)As everybody has said 20 times alreay it will just make them get murdered with bullets
2) Isn't that the point on every game (to be a noob) let's take for example Call Of Duty,you start as a rubbish noon and work your way up to a prestige 10
"See a need fill a need"-(Bigweld from the movie "Robots")