Game traffic dump

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
cFoo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Game traffic dump

Post by cFoo »

Hi guys,

Are you able to help me with capturing some network traffic dump of your game session? I'm trying to analyst player's data but since I'm new to the game it is difficult for me to accurately judge my own traffic against someone who is kicking my butt. If you have existing data or is able to capture some data please let me know.

Thanks! see you in the game.
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Game traffic dump

Post by dereliction of duty »

this isn't exactly a network sniff, but it will log all data that you see during the game;

bzflag -echo > /home/steve/bzflag/logs/`date +%h-%d_%Y_%H-%M`.log

as for sniffing the network, what's out there now a days? nmap, wireshark, and some others. Not sure which O.S.'s those programs work on, Linux user myself and I don't follow M$ type programs anymore.
cFoo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cFoo »

Thanks ttfkad! that's exactly what I'm using to capture my own data. I'm using wireshark and -echo. I'm hoping someone who's a better player than me could provide the log as well for comparisons.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

What exactly are you trying to see in the network traffic? That is awfully low level to see anything useful IMHO. Use observer mode to watch good players would be infinitely more useful if you are trying to learn why you aren't any good. ;-)
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
cFoo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cFoo »

joevano, LOL. It would be pretty amazing if I can make myself better just by looking at another player's network traffic. I'm writing a technical report for school. I'm trying to show that you can measure a player's performance in BZFlag based on the network traffic generated by the player.
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

Sounds interesting, but I doubt you can find anything useful about player's performance in their network traffic. You could try a brain scan perhaps. :)
Last edited by Quantum Tank on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

Quantum Tank wrote:You could try a brain scan perhaps. :)
Now I'm wondering what the square footage I have inside my tank, gotta run and buy a few rolls of aluminum foil...