General Hostility Levels

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: General Hostility Levels

Post by JeffM »

Debian based Linux distributions still ship 2.0.16 so I am not sure how it has "Officially Died". We have not done anything to change the status of the older versions. There are still 5 servers running it.

There has been no increase in player population in the last few months, The peak playing count has gone down by nearly 20% in the past 4-6 months.
ImageJeffM
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

urban combat was the last server to get regular game play there. since it is gone, the old version has 'practically' died, not officially in the real sense, yes. i didn't mean it was the result of an intervention.. the increase i'm observing and care about is in the number of players who play ffa (or good rabbit hunt) maps as opposed to the 2 team sniping/camping genre of more recent times. just had a nice game on aribeth's atlantis map (sigo started hosting it) with a fun crowd of mostly old time players.
Tanx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanx »

It felt like though the population of bz around a month ago was lower then it is right now. not by much, but it still felt noticable.
Basically though, most of the older players that are still around, will still be around. Agreed it is the newer players to bz that flow in and out. We've grown basically attached to the game itself. Its beyond a game, but it might not necessarly be the game we're attached to, probably the other players that we've know for a long time. and some of the older players are not in their 40's. Some of us are in our 20's or will be. But like what was said, the one's that are in their 40's are more likely to stick around. We've seen countless players leave, I myself made a list of those I hadn't seen in some time, I came up with 100 names, but I know there are far, far more that I don't remember. and only a select few I remember from before 2.0, in fact it may be limited to just one that I'm sure I had seen before 2.0. That was allejo. You can always silence the trolls.
known as: Tanx, Eoncho, ckw.
Bzflag player since 2001.
Spectre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Spectre »

I think some more variety in maps would bring some revival to bear as well. I have a few sketches laying around that I could start writing out in a text editor, and I think I could get some other mapmakers to be active again. I would guess that only about 20% of the 2.4 servers have seen even a single player since the move.
Keeping Latin alive in 2766 AUC.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

20% try 5 to 3%.

On average there are between 180-190 servers up at any time.
On average there are between 5-10 servers that have an active game ( more then one real person playing ) in the same time frames.

We have a tracking system in place that keeps the data and filters out single players, bots, and admin clients.

At our cap this week we had 200 servers with 10 active games, so 5% of all servers were hosting the 80 people that were playing. 37 of them were playing on a single server.
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I'm sorry, I misread your statement about it having any players since the move.

It's probably higher then 20% since I think people try the crummy servers, find it's lame and move on.
ImageJeffM
Zverina
Internet Troll
Internet Troll

Post by Zverina »

If you mean In-Game, I never Defense.
I always hit straight in!

Kill 5-50, die once, that is how I do it.
I may even kill 50, not die even once, lol.

If you mean the Forums, they are a bit special.
The result of saying that you can beat me is the same as bragging how Ponies are stupid... You always die in the end.
eaglecoach
Private
Private

Post by eaglecoach »

Hi all,

I rarely if ever post, or log into the forum as you may be able to tell. Just wanted to say that I got hooked on this game when using a silicon graphic computer at "work" in 1996? I think it was '96 AND I am in 100% agreement that admins these days often seem to jump on people harshly. Kids are used to playing Call of Duty with a headset talking trash while they do it. Not saying it is right, just saying it is the way it is. Maybe administrators thinking about what they say and addressing the player respectfully at all times would help. But it is more than that....

Side note based on the post directly above (Sup Manalishi? ! ) The long time players can simply help the issue of new maps/decline in game play etc by opening up the old ones, sitting, and waiting, like marios arena last night. Had a good time, just need the patience to sit in there for a while until people show up, which dartman did, and then others came in. I do it in Mystic Valley all the time as I personally don't have much fun in 20 shot rooms and CTF missile launching all the time. Bottom line is that the game does play well despite its lack of "flare" visually. I still play it at age 41 when I can with wife, kids, coaching, teaching, dog, etc.... I think most will continue as it is a way of life, but turning new players on to it comes as a responsibility in how we deal with/educate them.
Derpy Hooves
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Derpy Hooves »

Zverina wrote:If you mean In-Game, I never Defense.
I always hit straight in!

Kill 5-50, die once, that is how I do it.
I may even kill 50, not die even once, lol.

If you mean the Forums, they are a bit special.
What on earth does your post have to do with the subject?

I agree with eaglecoach, not many 20 year-old games are still up and running!

Also, Brohoof to ya JeffM! /)
ImageI just don't know what went wrong!
kliksf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kliksf »

I like to play on that server with the no tks and your own color flag is a geno... Seems like things can turn ugly on in that map. First of all it can be really streaky and you can be on a team that is always hitting a geno, has two or maybe three players in spots where they can just keep killing you over and over again. You're lucky if you spend more than 10 seconds before you're sniped and the shooter has no reason to fear being hit back. Then people start leaving the map, the game isn't fun when you spawn right into another easy kill or worse, into the path of a geno. Being on a team that's getting hammered sucks and it especially sucks if people don't take the most basic precautions like looking out for geno or just jumping as the only defensive move. And some players are new and some really don't know what's up. But what I'm seeing are people just lashing out at anybody who gets hit with geno like they're trying to get hit as though it were some big troll. That may happen from time to time but it seems like every time someone gets hit with a geno somebody else has to accuse that person of being "Geno bait" or whatever. Sometimes it can be stupid how hostile people get over it. But there you have it. Can't just have fun playing a multiplayer game online no you gotta browbeat everybody because it's affecting your game. It's affecting my game too but I'm not yelling at people over it. Honestly it's pointless because if the guy is deliberately trying to piss you off he gets a big kick seeing you freak out over it, and if it's just some n00b who's trying to figure out how to play using nasty language and calling people names sure ain't gonna make that guy a better player all at once. That's all I wanted to say.