On Master-Ban-List?!

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
allyfied
Private First Class
Private First Class

On Master-Ban-List?!

Post by allyfied »

Hi BZ-Players,

can anyone tell me, why i am on the master ban list? I never was evil or mean on bz-servers. But when i try to connect to several servers a message appears, telling me: "Connection refused. swissboy is banned by k..."

I'm not from switzerland (but i like their chocolate ;-) Is anyone using my callsign? Please let me know and unlock me.

cu
Allyfied
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Re: On Master-Ban-List?!

Post by Bullet Catcher »

swissboy is deservedly banned on many individual servers, but is not in the master ban list. The quickest way to get playing is to send a private message here on BZBB to the relevant server owner and politely ask to be added to their whitelist group.
allyfied
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by allyfied »

Ok thx, i will do so. But why swissboy? I never used that id.
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

swissboy is someone else who uses the same ISP as you. He has used so many different IP addresses that it was necessary to block many thousands just to keep him out. Apologies for the inconvenience to you, but he is so obnoxious that it is worth it.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

i have banned swiss boy countless times over the years, range-bans included. BUT that loser is not around anymore since a long time (last i have seen him was january this year) and the bans put on him do nothing but keeping legitimate players out. my call to all admins: PLEASE REMOVE ALL THE BANS YOU HAVE PUT FOR SWISS BOY. he is gone. if he returns, we can always arrange something. to facilitate the unbanning process: he was from germany, the ISP was arcor. his IP's were starting with 178.0., 178.8., 178.12., 188.103.

edit: i have just done a lot of the work myself.
allyfied
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by allyfied »

yes, my isp is arcor, too. I asked Kierra about this. She was very friendly and put me back on several servers.

Thanx so far for your commitment.

cu
Ally
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

kierra, she's holding an iron banhammer underneath that friendly smile. :mrgreen: seriously though, those range-bans have been a necessary evil and served their purpose. glad you can play on more servers now, see you around.
An SQUERRILz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by An SQUERRILz »

Green Manalishi wrote:the bans put on him do nothing but keeping legitimate players out
he was from germany, the ISP was arcor. his IP's were starting with 178.0., 178.8., 178.12., 188.103.
I was nearly going to write a plugin just for Swiss boy. After a delay (due to URL job) It would kick a joiner if they were found in one of multiple DNSBLs (as none of them alone gives good accuracy) and tell them to play with registered name. I got through some of it but didn't finish it.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

sounds like it would be pretty handy. we can always use a plugin like that against other nuisance when the need arises.
jadespicy wrote: I was nearly going to write a plugin just for Swiss boy. After a delay (due to URL job) It would kick a joiner if they were found in one of multiple DNSBLs (as none of them alone gives good accuracy) and tell them to play with registered name. I got through some of it but didn't finish it.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

No need for a complicated plugin for that. Just have a web service that generates a ban file, a local masterban file, the serverControl plugin, and a cron job that downloads a new masterban file at regular intervals (and then only replaces the existing file if it has changed).
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

An SQUERRILz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by An SQUERRILz »

blast wrote:No need for a complicated plugin for that. Just have a web service that generates a ban file, a local masterban file, the serverControl plugin, and a cron job that downloads a new masterban file at regular intervals (and then only replaces the existing file if it has changed).
That wouldn't allow registered blacklisted people to play, which is the point.