I'm Leaving BZFlag....

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

I'm Leaving BZFlag....

Post by The Noah »

First off, I'm not sure if this kinda post should be posted or not, and if it shouldn't, just let my know and I will remove it.
Second, I'm not leaving BZFlag forever, so I will come back sometime, but I'm not sure when. :\

I'm leaving BZFlag because my OpenGL driver is getting really bad. It started as being glitches that didn't affect game-play, and where not very often. Then it started happening more often, and then in more than just BZFlag. Now its really bad, and shots on the radar are barely visible, so its really hard. And the HUD is starting to glitch (nothing to do with NUI). Its just unplayable. :cry:

I will continue to provide help, hosting, and continue to develop more, etc. You may see me on, but thats just for testing, watching, etc and not playing (although i might be a player). So i guess you could say I'm leaving the playing side of BZFlag, not the rest of it.

I'm sorry to be leaving, and hope to be back soon.
The Noah
I've been working on a real-time stats site called BZList, please check it out! It is still in active development, so some features are missing and watch out for bugs.

GitHub · Website · Get in touch · Stalk Me
blast
General
General

Re: I'm Leaving BZFlag....

Post by blast »

It could be your actual graphics card dying, not a driver issue. I had a nVidia 9800GTX+ that worked normally for desktop stuff, but if you threw a game at it it would start to misbehave.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Noah »

Hmm, interesting. But mine is built into a laptop and would be hard to replace (and possibly cheaper to just buy a new used laptop). I guess thats another downside to laptops.. :\

The Noah
I've been working on a real-time stats site called BZList, please check it out! It is still in active development, so some features are missing and watch out for bugs.

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Could be bad RAM too, as the laptop graphics probably makes use of your system memory. Hard to say though.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

A new card would be the solution; even there are external ones you can plug in. Remeber 3D cards requires lot of ventilation, then be sure to allow it from the base of your computer (I suggest to use some things to raise it a bit more); it could have been the cause of the malfunctioning: burnt.

Edited: take a look where the grooves are to avoid covering them.
Last edited by alfa1 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Noah »

1. It's a laptop
2. It's old, it doesn't support external GPUs
3. I've taken a look at the internals many times, everything looks fine (and I've seen the GPU)

Thanks for the ideas,
The Noah

SpringTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SpringTank »

The Noah wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:47 pm 1. It's a laptop
2. It's old, it doesn't support external GPUs
3. I've taken a look at the internals many times, everything looks fine (and I've seen the GPU)

Thanks for the ideas,
The Noah
When you took it apart did you look at the fan side of the heat sink? Sometimes it's really hard to see the dust buildup. Also what Blast said, it could be the ram. Try swapping some around or use this as an excuse to upgrade your ram/computer.
The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Noah »

Yes, it does have dust buildup, but it stays cool. I'm still trying to find my can of compressed air I have somewhere. :p I just swapped out ram (yesterday) and maxed it out at 4GB :/ (was 3GB)

Also, the integrated graphics has its own RAM and shared. And it looks like the GPU is directly sodder on the mother board, so I can't replace it.

The Noah