Returning to BzFlag since 2000

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
muffenguy
Private
Private

Returning to BzFlag since 2000

Post by muffenguy »

Hello,

I am returning to the game since my last game 20 years ago. I have been getting pretty bored of these new games so I am going back to my roots for PC gaming. I looked into America's Army but it is just not what it used to be back in the early 2000s. I got curious to see if BzFlag was still around and to my surprise, it lives on.

I first discovered and started playing BzFlag when I was 6 years old on a janky computer with Linux installed onto it. My original username was freelancer, my mother's was Fateal (fatal), and someone I knew was s0ul. 2 shot Capture the Flag with no jumping and flags was my favorite map to play on. In 2000, I stopped playing and long forgot the game when I moved back to my grandparent's house which they did not have internet and could not afford much. But fast-forward 20 years, I'm 28, with my own family, house, and happy to return to my first online multiplayer game.

Hope to play with you soon,
Muffen
Started: 1998
Original and Retired Name: freelancer
Favorite Map: 2 Shot CTF No Flags\Jumping
Ended: 2000
The Return: 2020
Official Name: muffenguy
novembre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Returning to BzFlag since 2000

Post by novembre »

Welcome back! :D
See you in the battlefield,
nove.
non che d'i fiori e de le foglie nove
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

Welcome back, it's great to see you!

As long as there are at least some interested individuals, decentralized games such as BZFlag will continue to live on. Despite some relying on the centralized auth system and alike, all the core aspects are not. And that is one of the great advantages of this game, which undoubtedly contributes to its longevity.

The 2-shot CTF no-jump no-flag map you describe is likely Ducati, which is also a part of the Leagues United. It is quite old, indeed!
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Whoa, freelancer.....welcome back!!!!!!
Much has changed since then and yet much is still the same. Good to see you back!
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Welcome back Muffen.

There's been quite a few changes throughout the years, so don't be too surprised at what you see.

Some of the biggest changes are with regards to the Wings flag and the -noTeamKill option.
(Plug-ins are another big change, so you might see stuff like custom flags and related.)

One small difference you might notice, is changes to the acceleration limits.
(Either when they were added or the feel of the acceleration limits, since some of the dynamics changed years back.)

Also, if you need anything, feel free to contact me, as I'm usually able to help with most matters.

Before I forget: Glad to have you back, and looking forward to seeing you on the battlefield. :wink:

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
muffenguy
Private
Private

Post by muffenguy »

Sorry I never replied quick enough. I've been on vacation with the wife and daughter. Traveled across some states to go stay up in the mountains and explore. But yeah, I've started playing on Leagues United since my post. Brings back memories. I've also been playing on another CTF when no one is on Leagues United. I'm a bit rusty but I'll hopefully get there. The funny part was visiting my mother and I asked her, "Hey mom. guess what game is still alive and active all these years since the 90's?" She answered with some games like Diablo 1 and 2 and etc. Then I dropped the bombshell lol. She couldn't believe it and was shocked. Other than that, hopefully I get the chance to play with you all. Got to go and try out Cyberpunk when it finishes installing lol.

Muffen
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

if you are the freelancer i remember being a regular on hepcat (pillbox & babel/overlord), you have been absent since 15 years at the most. if not, welcome back in any case. i hope bz will grow on you again.
Because789
Private
Private

Post by Because789 »

I think I vaguely remember a Freelancer way back when. Not sure when my own hiatus from this started. I almost definitely remember playing with Fateal a few times. Welcome back muffen! :D
muffenguy
Private
Private

Post by muffenguy »

Thanks again. Wish I could remember but in 2000 I was 8 lol. I remember I did hop on around 2003 when I moved back with my mother and step-dad (at the time) for a brief moment of time. He was teaching me C++ (which I wished I kept up with) and we made a modified bzflag.exe and I wanted to see how long it would take for me to get banned. Which I got banned from a server when they finally caught on that I manipulated my hitbox making it harder to getting shot and that upon spawning I automatically obtained a flag of my choosing. Don't worry. All that is behind me long ago. But other than that, sorry I haven't been online for over a month. Crazy things going on personally. Got a little boy coming in April and we're school touring for my daughter who is going to be a kindergartener.