what do you do while playing bzflag

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Hannibal wrote:
Davy Jones wrote:I have a library on iTunes that will play for about 4 days non-stop, almost 4500 songs!!!

I'd like to listen to iTunes, but the lag interferes with my playing (Slow iMac;))
I'd love to be able to run iTunes while I play..but whenever it changes songs, my CPU usage jumps as well as lag. So I end up a good chunk of the way across the map. Though I'm on a Dell.
Oh, so I'm NOT the only one who has this problem. I get it in Amarok and also in XMMS.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

i watch TV :)

I do better with it on rather than it off :? explain that! lol
Ozor Mox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ozor Mox »

TangenT wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Davy Jones wrote:I have a library on iTunes that will play for about 4 days non-stop, almost 4500 songs!!!

I'd like to listen to iTunes, but the lag interferes with my playing (Slow iMac;))
I'd love to be able to run iTunes while I play..but whenever it changes songs, my CPU usage jumps as well as lag. So I end up a good chunk of the way across the map. Though I'm on a Dell.
Oh, so I'm NOT the only one who has this problem. I get it in Amarok and also in XMMS.
I get the same thing using Windows Media Player. When the small window in the bottom right pops up as the song changes, the frame rate of BZFlag slows to a crawl and I find myself seemingly invincible and able to morph through walls! Curiously it doesn't do it for MSN Messenger or anything else that pops up small windows during play.
Chaldon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Chaldon »

you guys should really invest in a multiple core processors. I run hella stuff on my machine. Though it can't stand downloads. I don't mind bangin around on mofo @ 200 but if I turn everything off I jump to under 50...
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mostly Harmless! »

I listen to the radio, or a CD. Don't have anything else on, because my computer is a really bad VIAO.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.
It is not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.
Always remember you are unique. Just like everybody else.
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

TangenT wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Davy Jones wrote:I have a library on iTunes that will play for about 4 days non-stop, almost 4500 songs!!! I'd like to listen to iTunes, but the lag interferes with my playing (Slow iMac;))
I use rhythmbox (the gnome mp3-player) on a 3ghz linux box with ubunty edgy, and I don't think that I have this problem. I did a short test without opening bzflag, and it uses around 7% of the cpu-time whenever I change song.

The only problem is that first time you run rhythmbox you have to wait for the program to index all your songs.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Chaldon wrote:you guys should really invest in a multiple core processors. I run hella stuff on my machine. Though it can't stand downloads. I don't mind bangin around on mofo @ 200 but if I turn everything off I jump to under 50...
I have a freind who keeps complaing about how badly he stinks at this game...so one day I tried playing on his computer and it's because his frame rate stinks :roll: "Here, use a laptop, I get much better FPS" but to no avail.

I usually just put on the radio in the background, helps sometimes with rampages :twisted: other than that I try not to run anything else, I actually close Skype, IM, etc.

I once phoned my freind and put it on speaker, so we could talk while we were playing. That was fun!
jack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jack »

all i do is keep ichat open, mute bzflag and play music (dragonforce perfered), talk on bzflag, or edit my or friend's maps
Now, an army is a team - it lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. - Patton
plokijuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by plokijuy »

I listen to music (anything metal except 'nu metal' i hate that)

I usually snack on wizard cakes and jaffa cakes and wash that down with some flavoured mineral water
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

plokijuy wrote:I listen to music (anything metal except 'nu metal' i hate that)

I usually snack on wizard cakes and jaffa cakes and wash that down with some flavoured mineral water
I choose HAWT PAWKETS. :D

Anyways, for my BZFlag habits, I ought to be getting a new lappy soon, so I can listen to music a little better in BZFlag. I usually listen to gabber (stuff like Endymion or Nosferatu), or other various styles of hardcore (but not happycore, that stuff makes me want to vomit).
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trainee »

When I am playing and my kids want me, I ashamedly sometimes tell them, "Give me a minute, I just got laser," "Contamination is chasing me with WG," or "Wait, I'm going to CAP." With my wife, it's "Yes, Dear, I'll be right there." That's when I press N and write, "G2G, BRB."

Last week, a car pulled out directly in front of my car when I was driving my ten year old daughter and her friend home from swimming lessons. It was the closest missed accident that I ever had. I had to swerve into the oncoming lane and put the rear end into a fish-tail to swing away from the car that was crossing our lane. I was waiting for the awful feeling of loss of gravity and the smashing and the horrible sound of crushing metal. But my reflexes were pretty good for an old man, and my Jag handles pretty well, and we missed the collision and were just emotionally shaken a little bit.

When we arrived home, my daughter was in histerics, and she told my wife about the potential accident. Later, my wife said, "Maybe that stupid tank game improved your reflexes a little bit."

That being a possibility, Thanks BZ, you saved the my life and the lives of two ten year olds. Well, maybe not exactly, but when wife says that she needs me, I can say, "Just a minute, honey, I'm honing my reflexes."
Axl
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Axl »

I listen to power/thrash/hair metal, drink Pepsi or Bawls, and sometimes text people :D
<center>Warriors, come out and plaaaaaaaaaay...<br><br><br>Proud member of the WMA<br><br>
Image</center>
hophead
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hophead »

just listening to my winamp (mainly rock/metal/punk) and trying to push my dog away from my mouse :twisted:
insanity is the spice of life...
or was it cinnamon?
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

I occasionally listen to music, then its some decent rock. However, all the time, when I do bzlfag, I am BLOWING OTHER TANKS UP :D :D ..
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword.

Okay, you get a Bic, the orc gets a long sword.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Then he cuts you in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
CoL CLiNKeR
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CoL CLiNKeR »

i listen to music and eat chips... LOL but mostly just play and concentrate on the game.
CoL CLiNKeR at your service