ranking list?

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )

Do you want rankings?

yes
69%
no
31%

Total votes: 26

Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

ranking list?

Post by Joop »

why doesn't some one set up a site that showes your ranking compared to other players on bzflag

it can be organized by different servers

tell me what your think?
Last edited by Joop on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

We sort of have that at my.bzflag.org, but alas, that does not rank you, and it also doesn't sort by server.

I suppose the individual servers could post stats, if they so desired. That would be ideal, I think.
Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joop »

yeah i know all about that sight

my.bzflag.org only shows current player and servers

we need a site that shows skill level.....not how many points you get...i mean i guess that factors in on your skill...but overall skill level

maybe this site could be somehow linked to the forum
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Rover Blaster wrote:yeah i know all about that sight

my.bzflag.org only shows current player and servers

we need a site that shows skill level.not how many points you get...i mean i guess that factors in on your skill...but overall skill level

maybe this site could be somehow linked to the forum
not True it shows there skill and Highest and lowest score
Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joop »

yeah i know that

but that just shows how long they stayed on bzflag for....

i know what your talking about...but i want skill level ranking...like they have on XBOX LIVE.
Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joop »

And...when ever you played bzflag you could have a special symbol or something that shows your a high ranked player...and each time you shot someone that one add points to your ranking....

something along the lines to that...sorta throwing this idea out there

maybe they can add that in the new bzflag version
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

They do have this in leagues, they highlight the playing time, which usually shows how long a player has been playing, which usually shows their skill.

Edit: unless of course, you play all the time, and still suck.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

A Vicious Muffin wrote:
Edit: unless of course, you play all the time, and still suck.
like me :) lol
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

Rover Blaster wrote:but i want skill level ranking...like they have on XBOX LIVE.
LOL this ain't M$!
A Hobo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Hobo »

i just leanred this yesterday, if you press the home button, a chart comes up showing shot hit/fired perecntages for everyone one the map.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I really think rankings are for the birds. Does it really matter who is better or worse than you? All that really matters is the are you having fun playing the game, with the people who are on the server at the time. It would be nearly impossible to come up with a meaningful ranking system. How would you take into account those who on CTF, actually TRY to CTF. On a CTF map my score is really meaningless, the objective is to CTF so my score is a axillary thing. And to tell you the truth even on FFA and Rabbit maps, my score is irrelevant to me (some of you will undoubtedly say my playing is to, and I cannot disagree :p). This whole mentality of "I am better than you" is a huge problem with society in general today. It is amplified by the sports role models of today, who can hardly be called that, with their huge egos and devil may care attitudes. Enjoy life.... it is not a race to see who wins. It is a journey to be enjoyed and savored with the ones you are spending the time with, win or lose. "Was the time enjoyable and well spent (and yes, BZ Flag is time well spent [unless you ask my wife])?", that is the question that should really be asked.
Last edited by joevano on Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Rover Blaster wrote: we need a site that shows skill level
Maybe I am missing something, but ... why? BZFlag isnt one of those games which are flooded by 1337-feeling kiddies who cant have fun without comparing their skill to others. Fun over competition, you know?
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

yay competition, winners and losers, ego glorification. long live visible, material success. let's all show off our scores, wealth, careers.. yay a whole culture and civilization based on these 'values'!

well, i couldn't agree more with donny baker (beautifully put) and saturos. also from a practical point of view, if the score aspect of this game is made to appear more important, i'm sure it will make life for everyone playing bz more difficult. there is already a lot of whining going on because of people who take this game more seriously than a normal, sane person would do. rover, please don't take it personally (and this issue has been brought up before -probably multiple times) but my vote will always be a big fat NO.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Another thought...you know that in college football in the us, they have some idiodic bsc standings that are created by a bunch of losers. They also have the computerized stats, and newspapers' own stats. Sometimes they're different, sometimes they're the same. I would love to see michigan ohio state again, but, since the bcs people think florida is the better team (?) they get to play them. Connected to bzflag, some players don't always have the highest score, but are very good at ctf. Some players can get really high scores at mofo, and can't even get to the flag at the two castles. It all depends on how you look at it.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

It's nice to be able to check your stats to see where you need to improve, and that can *sort* of be done...but there's really no point of using them for a whole bunch of competition. If you're *that* competitive maybe either join or start a league...but remember, this game isn't about points. It's about fun. *Absolutely nothing is gained no matter how high your points are in anything on this game.* Just remember it's only a game and a timewaster, but it's still for fun. :D

Very well put, donny_baker, and Saturos.

Though it's a good idea, I think the stats systems we have are good enough, guys.
Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joop »

every game is for fun and competition

please don't tell me you play it just for fun and no competition

you need competition for it to be fun

its very weird on how everyone is saying this game is just for fun and don't like competition...of course you play it for the competition

its not like i sit in front of the computer for hours playing bzflag...but i would like to be ranked in some form or another against other player
COP@:
BOXY
VIPER
HEPCAT
knoxkorner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by knoxkorner »

Green Manalishi wrote:yay competition, winners and losers, ego glorification. long live visible, material success. let's all show off our scores, wealth, careers.. yay a whole culture and civilization based on these 'values'!

well, i couldn't agree more with donny baker (beautifully put) and saturos. also from a practical point of view, if the score aspect of this game is made to appear more important, i'm sure it will make life for everyone playing bz more difficult. there is already a lot of whining going on because of people who take this game more seriously than a normal, sane person would do. rover, please don't take it personally (and this issue has been brought up before -probably multiple times) but my vote will always be a big fat NO.
oh so if i host a poll to keep you in a server youd say no?
Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joop »

wow....manalishi...that was pretty harsh

well its the only video game i play in my spare time..and yes i would like to have a ranking system

anti-spam...do you agree with me?
COP@:
BOXY
VIPER
HEPCAT
lodxcol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lodxcol »

I like this idea, though integrating it into BZFlag seems a bit much..

I'm all for the site though.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Rover Blaster wrote:every game is for fun and competition

please don't tell me you play it just for fun and no competition

you need competition for it to be fun

its very weird on how everyone is saying this game is just for fun and don't like competition...of course you play it for the competition

its not like i sit in front of the computer for hours playing bzflag...but i would like to be ranked in some form or another against other player

you can get all the fun and competiton during a game. you are certainly out on the battlefield to shoot other tanks and occasionally try and pwn arch rivals (which is usually how i get the most fun out of a game, even when i'm on the wrong side of pwnage) and not to talk about peace, love and harmony. competition is embedded in the game. the problem however will arise when all those individual points and games are recorded somewhere for all to see. that will mean among other things: more cheaters, more people getting paranoid about cheaters, making false cheat accusations (which btw can be a bannable offense in itself), more people getting angry about tk'ers, flame the n00bs who tk, possibly scare them away, more camping and geno-whoring and more whining about these, more angry reactions towards laggers, more teammate bashing.. in short more and more of everything that already often spoils the fun of a game.. i hope you get a clearer picture of the consequences of your idea now.. i'm not in a bz league, so i don't know exactly how it goes, but if they keep stats and numbers and everything that might be a good venue for you to test your skills and compete with other players. just please leave the public servers out of this.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

I see this is really hotly debated... but all I'm gonna say is "it's being worked on (and has been for sometime). And more."

Just don't ask me anything more about it. You won't get an answer. :)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

assuming it's a project encompassing all public servers (like rover suggested), that sounds like good news for all sorts of cheaters and the 'set up your own server, install a few bots and set sw radius to 236253679622' kiddies. let's be prepared to welcome them as the new bzflag '1337', recorded and official. :) :) :) :) :)
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Green Manalishi wrote:assuming it's a project encompassing all public servers (like rover suggested), that sounds like good news for all sorts of cheaters and the 'set up your own server, install a few bots and set sw radius to 236253679622' kiddies. let's be prepared to welcome them as the new bzflag '1337', recorded and official. :) :) :) :) :)
It takes a lot more into factor than kills. *loves formulas*

Plus, it'll only be available to BZFX servers, and maybe at a later date once things are worked out, some of the more popular servers (Silvercat, Spiralzone, Badgerking's, etc).

P.S.: I should note that what I'm describing won't be done for some time and has been in the works for a long time. I don't have any estimates when it will be done or beta, but hopefully "soon." :)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

strayer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by strayer »

@A Meteorite: That sounds interesting to me...tell me more about it so I can implement it into my BZstats site... ;o)

..seriously, Green Manalishi's comment about ranking cheaters is indeed important for such a ranking. There are ways like checking several parameters to get an idea about the player's environment (are the other players only losing, but never making points?; is a player's total ranking bad, but compared to the others he/she is abnormal good now?; ...). Finally, it will be very difficult to prove the fact of ranking cheat.
A Meteorite wrote:Just don't ask me anything more about it. You won't get an answer.
---
P.S.: I should note that what I'm describing won't be done for some time and has been in the works for a long time. I don't have any estimates when it will be done or beta, but hopefully "soon." :)
You are writing a lot about something you don't want to answer questions for... :o)
A pessimist is an optimist with experience... ;o)
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

strayer wrote:@A Meteorite: That sounds interesting to me...tell me more about it so I can implement it into my BZstats site... ;o)
Well... ;)
strayer wrote:..seriously, Green Manalishi's comment about ranking cheaters is indeed important for such a ranking. There are ways like checking several parameters to get an idea about the player's environment (are the other players only losing, but never making points?; is a player's total ranking bad, but compared to the others he/she is abnormal good now?; ...). Finally, it will be very difficult to prove the fact of ranking cheat.
The formula doesn't take other people into account, but it does take several parameters that are important. Although taking other people into account is a good idea...
strayer wrote:
A Meteorite wrote:Just don't ask me anything more about it. You won't get an answer.
---
You are writing a lot about something you don't want to answer questions for... :o)
I know. I usually get suckered into doing that. :) But there is far more in development then what I am saying. ;)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN