Quick Keys

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )

So, did you know about quick keys before now?

Um ... duh! (Doesn't EVERYONE know?)
82%
Quick keys?? Awesome, I gotta try that out!
18%

Total votes: 11

Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Quick Keys

Post by Ck_asdf »

I'm not sure how many of you knew about this ... I didn't until today. I was setting up my input settings for a new controller (Playstation 2 w/USB adapter), and I found at the very end of the list of key mappings an option called "Define Quick Keys." This is a feature I've been wanting, and meaning to ask if it's available - and if so, where is it (found it)? If not, could it be made a feature in the next version (guess so)?

Hehe ...
for those of you who DON'T know, quick keys are keys that allow you to save frequently-used phrases and stuff to keys, so you can just hit alt/ctrl F1-F10 and have that phrase sent as a message.
OR, for those of you who are cops/admins, you can put server commands such as "/flag reset unused" in there.

The only "problem" I've found is trying to use Alt F4 as a quick key ... :P That's permanently set to "/quit" even if it looks like you've changed it to "Your goose is cooked!"
I suppose if you remapped your system's default window close ... but you have 19 other quick keys, eh?
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

I "defined" my quick keys, but I don't use them. I don't know why, but I find it easier just to type some things in. And I don't remember what all my quick keys are :D. I've known about it for a very long time.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

Yeah, I probably won't use much text stuff, but perhaps I will some, at least admin things like "welcome to the server" and "have a good day!" Okay, greetings, anyway ...
that, and admin commands ...
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

anyway to tie these into say xmms or beep to control my mp3's?

seen a mac "plugin" but I might have missed a linux solution.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Defman wrote:anyway to tie these into say xmms or beep to control my mp3's?

seen a mac "plugin" but I might have missed a linux solution.
I heard about that, but I would think mp3's would be too big. And how would you have other people hear it without setting up connections between clients. And wouldn't playing the sounds through the server would create a lot of strain for the server? Could you use Midi's instead? I don't know much about it so excuse this naïve comment.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

A Distraction wrote:I heard about that, but I would think mp3's would be too big. And how would you have other people hear it without setting up connections between clients. And wouldn't playing the sounds through the server would create a lot of strain for the server? Could you use Midi's instead?.
not sure I would want to "pump" the mp3's out to all the other clients AD - only fer myself!

Was thinking there has to be a way to control your mp3 player from within bz.

stop, play, vol up and down, advance song, etc.

Alot of people think I'm deaf - might as well just play my mp3's and not hear the sounds of the game and give them a benefit.

I've used the sound of a tank jumping to judge where an st might be for example, but you can't while playing mp3's. 'Least I haven't figured out a way to hear both, mp3's and bz.

OT note, posting from fresh install of openSUSE 10.2 - guess what I'll be doing in the next day or two? LOL

Steve
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

Yeah, I've been wondering about the same thing as defman, as to media control within bz.
In Windows (yeah, icky, I know), I can control my media with the media buttons on top of my keyboard, but unfortunately, my keyboard's media buttons doesn't seem to be supported by linux (Gateway SK-9925). Actually, if I use one of Microsoft's keyboards in the setup option, half the buttons work ... and if I use another keyboard, the other half work.

So it's kinda a trade off on which keys i want ...

Anyway, is there - or could there be in the future - a way to control media via bzflag?

As far as music VS bzflag, I guess you could turn the music down some, and turn bzflag up some ... find a happy medium to where you can still hear jumps, shots, etc, but your music is also pleasant. You can change bz's own volume by clicking options -> audio settings
then just press left/right to make the volume lower or higher

yeah, that's my input for now.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

There is a way and I cant remember the thread it was in... I too am having issues with my media buttons. They work in WMP but not in Winamp :(. Im sure if you know the syntax, you can config them into the mp3 client and integrate it in the config file for BzFlag.
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

you need to configure the buttons in winamp, one90
I had the same problem, but if you go into the configuration for winamp, you should find something to remap your media keys to fit winamp.

be "warned" - while winamp is open, those keys will not control windows media player, or any other player that makes use of the buttons. but if winamp is closed, then WMP will work with those buttons.

so ya know ...
lodxcol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lodxcol »

I use a MacBook, and keys for that are right on the keyboard. 8)
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

As for me, Davy Jones, As if you didn't know, I use an iMac, I have mac os x installed on it atm. anyways, I have known about them for a while, although i hardly ever use them. F4 doesn't do nothing to me :D

Theres a whole bunch of stuff about Mac that you can do, I think you can use a remote for itunes and stuff, but while running bzflag? *I MAY be wrong with the remote thing, but that's what i think*

So all you Windows users, Get MAC!!!!

*cough*no offense*cough*
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
Geo Dude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Geo Dude »

no i like just typing the stuff in im not gonna try it