Wings fights!

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
whispershadow
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: I'm a figment of your imagination, where could I be but in your head?

Wings fights!

Post by whispershadow »

I was wondering if anyone had any strategies for wing fights. Not fighting wings, but When you and an enemy both have wg and are duking it out. Like at emerald mosque or Theme's Wings fight.
I am officially a figment of everyone's imagination.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

When the server is set to have shots retain vertical velocity, things can get a little tricky. I usually try to stay above the enemy. This is because when you see shots coming at you, it's a little easier to jump on queu than to fall on queu. Also, if it seems impossible to dodge vertically, make sure to move left and right. These tactics apply to servers where shots don't retain vertical velocity, but I find things easier on those maps.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

The only way, in my opinion, to win a dogfight is to be above your enemy. You can see them coming, and when they stop jumping, you can shoot, and they run right into your bullets. (Regarding huge wing jump servers)

If you aren't above the enemy, you can trick him by falling to the ground, and when he tries to get you, jump right before he does. Sometimes you can even 'run away' from him. He might get distracted with a poor, helpless noob with "left turn only". Then, you jump right back on up, and you're on top.
H0ley
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by H0ley »

Amateurs.

My moves are classified. There can be only one!
/loves meteorite's mom
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

As AVM said, best way is to get Above him a good couple units.

2 units or less it is near impossible to kill either of you, if that's the case, drop to the ground and hunt him about 2 minutes later, if you want techniques, learn your own, they will work better than trying out written ones
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Davy Jones wrote:2 units or less it is near impossible to kill either of you
Even then, it still works. Move closer to the guy.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Davy Jones wrote:later, if you want techniques, learn your own, they will work better than trying out written ones
Why reinvent the wheel? Some inspiration cant hurt - BZFlag is always learning from others.
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

Well, It would be easier if people gave you the general concepts, but you have to develop your own techniques
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

cmon, at least give us some general ideas to push us in the right direction ;)

would you chuck a kid in the water and ask him to develop his own swimming technique? :P

(that wasn't intended as an insult)
plokijuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

lol

Post by plokijuy »

im hopeless at these wings duels
WarPig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WarPig »

wings...Mmmm... i cant really describe my tactics in a wings fight! it just seems to come naturally (not tring to boast btw) i guess its just hard to describe.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

the_j0k3r wrote:cmon, at least give us some general ideas to push us in the right direction ;)

would you chuck a kid in the water and ask him to develop his own swimming technique? :P

Well, someone has to develop it, or else nobody else can benefit and improve on it in their own way.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Yes, no one taught me how to use wings, or anyone for that matter when wings were implemented into the game. They had to learn the ways of it.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Best way to beat another wings player 1v1 is to (like said above) stay above the opponent whilst shooting. If their aggressive and unco they will rise up colliding with ur bullets.

If your below the opponent on the other hand, dont try rising up and attempting to dodge their bullets as this often gets you nowhere. Instead, fly away, use the map and other players to get your wings opponent distracted. Thus giving you the time to rise above them and take control.

Just be sure whilst you are trying to distract your main opponent, you dont forget about the players on ground, and the flags they have. To name a few, GM and SW, and perhaps laser if you get too low.

ANYWHO..................Thats my strategy! :D

oh n dont forget to laugh at the pther player :wink:

But then say !!GG!! then they'll be all happy again. But only you will know the truth! :twisted: YOU OWN!

Im done Bye all 8)
yosef
Private First Class
Private First Class

If you are head on with the other WG...

Post by yosef »

The strategy I've read of on some tutorial is this. When you shoot, try to curve while moving upwards. THis would result in a slanted line of shots. This way, it is way harder to dodge bullets or get out of the way at the same time. It works. :idea:
--9/12 Taking an extended break from this beloved game to return to RL. Look for me at the starbow's end...
whispershadow
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: I'm a figment of your imagination, where could I be but in your head?

Post by whispershadow »

ya, thanks all, particulary useful is the sideways dodge. i found, for myself that moving towards the guy can be sometimes useful sometimes not. anyone esle find this?
I am officially a figment of everyone's imagination.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

It is useful, if the shots do not keep their vertical velocity. Otherwise, the winged battles become a entirely new game. Still, in my opinion, it is always better to be on top.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

the_j0k3r wrote:cmon, at least give us some general ideas to push us in the right direction ;)

more or less what actually happened to me, when I learned to swim.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Shock Waver
Private
Private

Post by Shock Waver »

I think that moving towards/from the other guy can be useful. Like that you can regulate how far your shits will go, because even if it is the case that you are above him and he gets up, you get an excellent opportunity to kill him, but then you fire all your shots and miss. He then shoots and kills you. So in my opinion, the distance between you and him is very important.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Shock Waver wrote:I think that moving towards/from the other guy can be useful. Like that you can regulate how far your shits will go, because even if it is the case that you are above him and he gets up, you get an excellent opportunity to kill him, but then you fire all your shots and miss. He then shoots and kills you. So in my opinion, the distance between you and him is very important.
I thought your shits went the same distance no matter what direction you are traveling in. :lol-old:
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

A Distraction wrote:
Shock Waver wrote:I think that moving towards/from the other guy can be useful. Like that you can regulate how far your shits will go, because even if it is the case that you are above him and he gets up, you get an excellent opportunity to kill him, but then you fire all your shots and miss. He then shoots and kills you. So in my opinion, the distance between you and him is very important.
I thought your shits went the same distance no matter what direction you are traveling in. :lol-old:
Nice typo.
Shots go further if you drive forward when you shoot and the opposite applies if you reverse.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

I thought it affected the speed of your bullets, not the length. Isn't length the same all the time excluding rapid-fire and machine gun?
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Shots die after a certain amount of time, iirc, so go figure.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

CannonBallGuy wrote:Shots die after a certain amount of time, iirc, so go figure.
So each bullet only goes for a certain amount of time? Never knew that, i always thought if it hit a certain distance measured from the front of your tank, then it would explode :?
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Well, since displacement = velocity * time, your assumption is correct for the most part, it's just that the velocity of your tank will affect the velocity of your shots.

Merry Christmas!