Good tips for newbies to bzflag

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
Engineer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Engineer »

So, a good player know how to counter a jumping CL like a normal tank jumping... Other thing I can say is that CL tanks are easily targetted on a GM. So everything, like some others said, is on the radar. OK. Now, the stealthed tanks (and laser snipers, that you don't pay attention) is the problem of the radar-users. I am having some experience on field, on start, I was losing at -100. Now I am losing at -10. And most is because of TK and geno...
So, i ask for help for these things:
Don't be burned by a stealthed tank;
Team Killers...
And some field training, someone wanna help a newbie?
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

joevano wrote:Isn't that kinda what I just said?
Well, not really:
First:
joevano wrote:No, it is not a bad idea, as they can't tell where you really are (they do get some clues though).
Some people don't get just a clue about CL-position, so CL is COMPLETELY meaningless if an experienced and good player is your opponent, for them it's (kinda absolutely) NO difference whether a tank has CL or not, due to their radar-experience. So not just few people can VERY exactly locate a CL-position.

Edit:
Secondly:
joevano wrote:The thing to remember with jumping is that once you jump it is pretty easy for your opponent to know when and where you will land
Like I said, we need to differentiate, as beginners generally have lots of problems to predict when and where you will land (so the prediction is very difficult for beginners, and their prediction is additionally often total wrong), specially if their opponent has a CL.
Engineer wrote:So, a good player know how to counter a jumping CL like a normal tank jumping...
Yep, a (very) good player.

Edit:
Engineer wrote:And most is because of TK and geno...
So, i ask for help for these things:
Team Killers...
Btw, you maybe sure know about it: Switching to "rogue" solves the TK-issue. And on many maps being "rogue" solves additionally the Geno issue.
Last edited by z[h]ero on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

z[h]ero wrote:Well, not really:
joevano wrote:No, it is not a bad idea, as they can't tell where you really are (they do get some clues though).
Some people don't get just a clue about CL-position, so CL is COMPLETELY meaningless if an experienced and good player is your opponent, for them it's (kinda absolutely) NO difference whether a tank has CL or not, due to their radar-experience. So not just few people can VERY exactly locate a CL-position.
So, let me give you the defenition of 'Clue':
1. anything that serves to guide or direct in the solution of a problem, mystery, etc.

So I really think radar would fall into the category of a clue, as would the puff of "dirt"when you land. Some people are very good at using those clues. And as I said a spray of bullets takes care of any uncertainty. I would challenge you to show me someone who can kill a cloaked tank every time with only one shot. They all use a spray against a CL tank.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

CL is much more highly effective than most people give it credit for. especially when you take lag into consideration, because of the lag the spray is highly ineffective anyway because of the difficulty in actually predicting the lag.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

I have found that I have found more success with CL than ST.
Except when it comes to stealing a flag in CTF.
llrr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by llrr »

Cl is very good mainly because you wouldn't know where they are facing. The Cl player could choose to rico off a wall, or to hit them straight, or to back up and pretend they're moving away and then hit you. In general it isn't that useless, unless you jump. and only a bad jump will get you killed easily. if you jump over pyras, or onto something higher, then it really does make it hard to kill.