Beginner questions-shooting etc.

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
FactoryFarmer
Private
Private

Beginner questions-shooting etc.

Post by FactoryFarmer »

Why does it seem when I am shooting directly at a tank and I mean when I am close and I know I should hit him, why does he not blow up? But then it seems like I get grazed and die.

Also, any tips for a beginner that I should know? I have been trying different things and I am learning little by little :wink:

Thanks
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Beginner questions-shooting etc.

Post by dango »

Unfortunately, since this game wasn't made to be played over the internet, there is no compensation for lag. Also, whether a tank gets killed or not depends on the person being killed. This means that where a tank is on your screen, may not be where the tank is on the other player's screen, and if it looked like you killed someone on your screen, to the other player the bullets may have completely missed.
You can check for lag using /lagstats. Generally, under 100ms you don't need to compensate much, but over that you may have to "shoot ahead" of the players.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Sometimes when a admin changes the shot speed it can mess something up that makes your shot shoot the player but not die and the enemy you intend to kill and everyone else are unable to see your shot, everyone accuses everyone else of cheating. and if there lag is over 150-200ms you need to shot ahead 250-300ms almost behind the player and shoot anything above 300ms lag then need to stop, pause the you shot, wait then boom.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

To answer your first post:

Yes, sometimes it is lag, but often experienced players can dodge a bullet just barely, and it might look very close but you really didn't hit him. As you play more this will become more clear, and you'll be able to do it too.

Third post:

This is a bug, and not the admin's fault. To correct this usually all you have to do is keep rejoining until it goes away.
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

always.. and i mean always check the lagstats as soon as you join.. that can be vital in gameplay. and a helpful hint. dont shoot as soon as a player lands from a jump, most of the time he will have enough lag that you need to shoot early. i suggest a steady line of bullets where he is going to land. and if you have a limited shot flag. dont hold back, take the risk and usually you will hit them.
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

Zac wrote:i suggest a steady line of bullets where he is going to land. and if you have a limited shot flag. dont hold back, take the risk and usually you will hit them.
This is a good idea at first, but try to be able to time and hit the person coming down with just one shot. It is a pretty necessary skill to have if you want to join a league, and it can save your skin because you didn't run out of bullets.
Branton
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Branton »

Also remember if you are using guided missile it doesn't work up close. It will go right through someone sitting just a few units in front of you.
Amoeba
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Amoeba »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that he may have had the shield flag. If he did you would have had to shoot him twice to kill him.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

If you're interested in some tips or pointers for new players, use the "Search" option above. There are lots of helpful threads.
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

quantum tank is correct about the single shot kill. but as a new player, at the moment just concentrate on being actually able to kill them :D
A Random Bastage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Random Bastage »

And if you find yourself up against Quantum Tank - use the line of shots. I prefer to *know* he is dead before I move on.

:lol-old:
ironfist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ironfist »

here a tip in playing i learned in observer mode, when u are being chased drive up into a straight wall nut not too close and fire shots at it then jump on top of the wall. that will either hit your opponent or make him jump so when u are on the wall/box drive across to the other-side and u are safe but make sure u look out for more tanks up ahead or shots the tank chasing u might shoot.
The light at the end of the tunnel... might always be a oncoming train.
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

Use http://www.zaphod.fr to learn some tricks which may help you to start out :)
ironfist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ironfist »

just one thing 1 want to say, every-time you see the lag stats and u see iron fist at the bottom with 300-ms- 500-ms (500-ms is a rare thing) please don swear at me and ask to kick me. I live in aus so just blame the internet connection there and no the player computer.
The light at the end of the tunnel... might always be a oncoming train.