Dodging GM's while in the air

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
scorchgeek
Private First Class
Private First Class

Dodging GM's while in the air

Post by scorchgeek »

I have learned how to dodge GM's while on the ground--my biggest problem is while I'm in the air. Recently I've seen several people with Wings give a funny little twitch and get away from missiles that were about to hit them.

Anyone know anything about this?
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Dodging GM's while in the air

Post by Bambino »

yup, do the same thing in the air ask you do in the ground. The twitch you might see is someone tracking their radar for the shot to come very close, then they jerk back then forward and the lock can't track it. Works for me :)
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

whoa cool idea. i need to try this sometime...
pooper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pooper »

I don't see why jerking backwards and forwards would do anything. You're just racing against the GM's turn rate; it has instantaneous reaction time. The best way to to dodge is to be moving at maximum speed (forward) at an angle as close to 90 degrees to the path of the GM as possible.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

True, I was thinking of waiting till the last possible moment to accelerate forward to dodge the GM, then reverse. Imagine you're on a ledge, you don't want to fall off, but you also don't want to die.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crallion »

Of course, all of this speculation depends on what the map-maker (or server-host) set the GM turn angle as, if turnangle/tankspeed ration is fairly high, you can't dodge it. If it is low, its easy. And moving at a 90 degree angle is not really dodging it in midair.
This also requires wings.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

To err is human. To really foul up requires the root password.
scorchgeek
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by scorchgeek »

Ephraim wrote:I don't see why jerking backwards and forwards would do anything. You're just racing against the GM's turn rate; it has instantaneous reaction time. The best way to to dodge is to be moving at maximum speed (forward) at an angle as close to 90 degrees to the path of the GM as possible.
Well, it seems to have worked when I've seen it. That's why I asked :wink:. Thanks everyone!
tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

WG doesn't seem to move as fast as on the ground, on the same server where you can go at 90 degrees and outrun it, you can't with WG.
InfraRed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by InfraRed »

I like to try to shoot that GM. I've noticed that other people don't try that...
I mean you obviously have to be facing it, and the height match of your shot to it, really seems to matter, but I get it more and more often with practice. So I suggest that too!
EQ balanced with IQ, eliminates Sleepwalking through life.
scorchgeek
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by scorchgeek »

If you have good aim, and you see the GM before it fires or they have limited shots and you dodge their first ones, this is a fairly reliable approach, assuming you're confident that you can score a hit, as GM's lose their lock when the shooter dies. Thus you can kill it and then jump and it will go right under you. (Of course, make sure there's not someone else ready to shoot you when you come back down.)
InfraRed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by InfraRed »

Yeah, aim is super important... a fireball missile coming at you...stare it down coming and you and jump to meet it's height... and shoot it down. I find if you've successfully shot it down, the tank that aimed at you usually moved on to another target visually and mentally, and you can then successfully kamikaze like attack the GM holder, tank, and he/she isn't expecting it, thinking he got you with that lock on button. I find it highly amusing to practice such things.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

InfraRed wrote:Yeah, aim is super important... a fireball missile coming at you...stare it down coming and you and jump to meet it's height... and shoot it down. I find if you've successfully shot it down, the tank that aimed at you usually moved on to another target visually and mentally, and you can then successfully kamikaze like attack the GM holder, tank, and he/she isn't expecting it, thinking he got you with that lock on button. I find it highly amusing to practice such things.
You can't "shoot down" a fired shot. The game does not check for collisions between bullets. What you seem to be stating is totally impossible as the game plays now and it will probably never be possible. :oops:
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crallion »

joevano is right, of course, but it would be pretty awesome if the bullets could collide... it isn't probable, but it is possible. It's the same concept as colliding with the tanks...

Usually, there isn't a good way of dodging a GM, except with a building, because a lot of people (myself included) fire a spray of GMs when the person is perpendicular to the person with GM. When parallel, you can usually kill someone with one shot.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

scorchgeek
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by scorchgeek »

Crallion wrote:...Usually, there isn't a good way of dodging a GM, except with a building, because a lot of people (myself included) fire a spray of GMs when the person is perpendicular to the person with GM. When parallel, you can usually kill someone with one shot.
I disagree. As long as the shot speed on the server is about normal, you can circle around and dodge any number of shots as long as nothing gets in your way.
Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crallion »

I disagree with that... :D If I fire a shot in front of there tank, and behind it, there is nowhere to go.

Starski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Starski »

yeah ive seen the twitch never done it but its impossible to dodge GM in the air you move slower unless u have agility flag or theif or high speed :)
"You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist"
-Gandhi

FKA Danji

Bad Company -> http://www.guleague.org/Teams/?profile=1001
InfraRed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by InfraRed »

joevano wrote:
InfraRed wrote:Yeah, aim is super important... a fireball missile coming at you...stare it down coming and you and jump to meet it's height... and shoot it down. I find if you've successfully shot it down, the tank that aimed at you usually moved on to another target visually and mentally, and you can then successfully kamikaze like attack the GM holder, tank, and he/she isn't expecting it, thinking he got you with that lock on button. I find it highly amusing to practice such things.
You can't "shoot down" a fired shot. The game does not check for collisions between bullets. What you seem to be stating is totally impossible as the game plays now and it will probably never be possible. :oops:
But I HAVE successfully shot down a GM missle, luck has a part in it. But I have clearly done it many many many times. It's kinda a cheap thrill for me!!! I usually have to be facing it and not have jumped as that messes up the lining up of my bullet and their GM missile. Try it! Get a friend to shoot it at you and practice it...you will see I am quite correct.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Uh, no.

Did it time out? Like you were _just_ far enough from the guy that his missile timed out?
InfraRed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by InfraRed »

I thought the same thing at first that Bambino said. So I went into an empty map with a friend and he did it and I did it....and it is quite useful in Rabbit games where like I said...he (or she, since I'm a she) thinks he got you and moves on to the next hunter. Then you've got him (or her)... ha.
To make sure you see what I mean... both of you stay at ground level, face each other, and shoot just one.... Go ahead punk... make my day... (Clint Eastwood reference intentional)
Why would I make this up? Geeeezzz. Giving you all a tip and what do I get... slack.
Try it and then see... you nonbelievers are in for a suprise. Me thinks my kamikaze style of playing allowed me to figure this out!
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

There is nothing in the workings of the game to make it possible to shoot down a bullet. The server doesn't track them, the client doesn't check for collisions with other bullets. What you describe is impossible... PERIOD. End of story...

PS We know the code... we (well, not me personally) wrote it...
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crallion »

Ghosts in the Machine, glitches, bugs, and gods. Who knows, maybe she can shoot down a bullet? Maybe someone should try it. :P

joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Crallion wrote:Ghosts in the Machine, glitches, bugs, and gods. Who knows, maybe she can shoot down a bullet? Maybe someone should try it. :P
And you are helping this discussion how... there is no way PERIOD, for the EXACT reasons listed above. And PERIOD means PERIOD. The END. IMPOSSIBLE.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

InfraRed is just trying to yank our chain.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crallion »

I fully realize that it is impossible. I was joking too.

InfraRed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by InfraRed »

Bambino wrote:Uh, no.

Did it time out? Like you were _just_ far enough from the guy that his missile timed out?
Thank you Bambino for a possible logical explanation. It happened at least 7 times. Even saw a bot do it on my private server, or thought I did, mind you that bot got shot by it on the second GM missile shot at it. It had SB flag, so it got me wondering. I'm not so sure how to explain the friend who did it and I did it on the private server at home.... so I'm still somewhat skeptical. Leading me to ask...did any of you actually try it...or can one of you try it... (thanks for the support Crallion). That friend is trying to get me to shoot him with GM while he has SW to see if it explodes in the cone of the SW...good luck convincing him...Not my problem... I appreciate Bambino's rationality, as most things are usually explained and not by Ghosts either...

I was in Abyss last night, I love that map, sitting there hoping to draw others to play, well, user Tom Bonadell or something..came in.. It was just two players him and I in there. Either I shot it down or it timed out... in front of me.. he got me with the 2nd GM missile shot. I asked him what he thought happened on that first one...what did it look like to him... he didn't know. It sure looked like a shoot down. So, I guess I should stop staring down GM, daring it to shoot me, just to see if I can replicate it since I got the "impossible" answer. I'm laughin.

So, no Blast I was not kidding. I am too new to your BZ Flag code (interesting stuff mind you that I WILL learn) to understand what might work and not work, which is why I asked. I was hoping to see if I got "yeah I did that too" or some other explanation, which Bambino seems to have provided.
But I do find some of the other answers interesting. :lol-old: