Can GM kill ST?

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
Home Guard
Private First Class
Private First Class

Can GM kill ST?

Post by Home Guard »

I hav learned that GM can't lock onto a stealthed. But could if you found yourself pointing at a ST and fired as if using a conventional shot, and the missile hit the tank - would it kill it?
One day, I'll get a positive score....
joevano
General
General

Re: Can GM kill ST?

Post by joevano »

Depends on how close the tank is. GMs don't generally "arm" right away ( there is a timer server variable) but once armed it is a bullet and will kill anything it hits. So yes, you can kill ST with GM. You can even use a tank behind the ST tank to lock on and turn a GM toward a ST, making it theoretically possible to hit them behind a wall even (if everything lines up correctly).
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Home Guard
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Home Guard »

Thanks joevano
One day, I'll get a positive score....
KTL
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by KTL »

Gm is still quite good against st.
Of course:
A. It doesnt lock as against normal tanks
B. doesnt ricochet like a bullet
C. doesnt go out of the barrel with added tank speed
D. doesnt work on targets too close

But
A. a missile is FAT, doesnt need to get as close as a normal bullet, might get tanks that normally are too low to be hit
B. opponent might underestimate GM seriously, does things he wouldnt do against bullets
C. on occasion, to lock on the right time a tank behind the st might throw the missile on the st
D. if really needed, a flag can be thrown away
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

KTL wrote: But
A. a missile is FAT, doesnt need to get as close as a normal bullet, might get tanks that normally are too low to be hit
Are you sure about this? I thought GMs have the same characteristics as normal shells as far as hit zones.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I think it "feels" bigger because it usually sweeps through a space on an arc...
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yrogirg »

Constitution wrote:
KTL wrote: But
Are you sure about this? I thought GMs have the same characteristics as normal shells as far as hit zones.
Hmm, I was sure gm is fatter. From my experience on MW2.3 gm is just superior against st's. Maybe that's an illusion, but for me it's much easier to kill st with gm than with normal bullet.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

While I was playing on bloodbath a while ago I was driving down the freeway platforms towards the opposing team's base and a player was on the ledge a few units above it, he had gm and I had st. He sprayed a few shots above me and they continued to go straight (no lock on anything) and I died because of it. I asked him how and he said that gm has a slightly larger radius that makes it possible.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
pastorT
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pastorT »

Bambino, that would make sense... I use st a good portion of the time in MissileWars and there have been several times I was hit by a gm not necessarily aimed directly at me when a normal bullet would have missed.
An SQUERRILz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by An SQUERRILz »

GM shots aren't bigger than normal shots. If they were, a server variable would be appropriate.
Technically, normal shots and GM shots do not even have a radius.
GM shots have their strange behaviours too (I might get corrected for calling them bugs): having a GM shot inside you does not mean you will die; and I wouldn't be surprised if there was something involving fps too.
gravyfan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gravyfan »

On the Stalingrad map when you have stealth and are in one of the little 'bunkers', you get killed if someone shoots a GM over your head. It is kind of annoying.
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

There is '_shotRadius' but as far as i know, it doesnt have any effect, as normal shots are handled as dots (points, not spheres).
It could be possible that GM is actually affected by this variable, but I'm not certain.