pointer acceleration, possibly same as "xset" command...

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

pointer acceleration, possibly same as "xset" command...

Post by dereliction of duty »

I might have asked this during my Defman years...getting too old and memory isn't what it should be (right!)

Years ago, I used to use a "xset" command in linux that would increase the mouse response speed. I found back then I couldn't play worth a #### if I did not utilize that command. I believe I had added it to some startx script back then.

Attached screenshot is from opensuse 11.3, and what I increase now-a-days, is "Pointer acceleration" to achieve the same effect.

I have no idea if anything like this option exists in other O.S's...I only use M$ for work related use and never load bz there. But I do know that "pointer acceleration" doesn't seem to do the same thing as what Windows does for increasing the mouse cursor speed, it seems to be better than what Win out-of-the box provides for increasing the mouse cursor speed.

What are your feelings about this - would using this option be considered cheating?

"Oldtimers", if you know of a thread this has been covered before in :oops: please refresh my mind and post the link here!

Edit: Search provides this link but I did not see a reply explicitly for "xset";

http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... et#p149443

The Tank Formally Known As Defman
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Re: pointer acceleration, possibly same as "xset" command...

Post by Cobra_Fast »

ttfkad wrote:Edit: Search provides this link but I did not see a reply explicitly for "xset";
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=16369&p=149443&hilit=xset#p149443
This is just hypothetic discussion about what the GU rules could/should be.
The current inconsisten GU rules allow custom mouse configuration in any way:
GU Whitelist wrote:There are no restrictions on mouse speed, mouse acceleration, and USB polling rates (Gaming mice are allowed)
So I don't think changein the cursor speed or the cursor acceleration values would be a cheat.
Additionaly everyone prefers a different setup for their input devices on which they feel they can play the best.
ttfkad wrote:I have no idea if anything like this option exists in other O.S's...I only use M$ for work related use and never load bz there. But I do know that "pointer acceleration" doesn't seem to do the same thing as what Windows does for increasing the mouse cursor speed, it seems to be better than what Win out-of-the box provides for increasing the mouse cursor speed.
You're right, the out-of-the box mouse configuration on Windows is relatively poor but most better mouses ship with much more advanced configuration tools. Some also allow individual configuration of X and Y axis acceleration and speed.