Always kill?

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
Gage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Always kill?

Post by Gage »

Just a question about play style - do you always shoot the enemy in front of you no matter what, or do you sometimes weigh your options? The other day I was on a map where a player had st for 10 minutes and wound up 20 points ahead of everyone. I put a lot of effort into finding him and got myself killed 3 or 4 times in the process. I finally locate him, and he hasn't spotted me yet. I'm about to shoot and get killed by a tank very close to me that has a seer flag. If you are the seer tank, do you automatically shoot me because I'm available to kill, or do you go for the dominating st?
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Always kill?

Post by hutty »

I would likely not notice the situation and slaughter you all.
muahaha
lol
For all of you who have asked what a hutty is, there is one as my avatar.

instant map... just add water
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Yep... shot the first available target and ask questions later.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

If you have a chance, take it.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

In a capture-the-flag game it is often better not to kill an opponent who is far from a team flag in motion because it is likely that he will then spawn closer to the flag carrier. You might even want to let yourself be killed for the same reason.

Otherwise, "kill early, kill often" tends to produce the best personal score.
Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jacko H »

U kill for points not the strongest player
Jacko Productions:
World War III, Kill Or Die, Nazarath, Warlock Adrenaline, Rabbit Season, Firing Range (Just Be Simple), Death Island.
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

Jacko h wrote:U kill for points not the strongest player
Is that what you do? Hunt the lowest person on the scoreboard and then just kill them until they leave? That's really childish and shows how weak you are at BZ.

If you wanted to get better and try to improve your skill set, you would hunt the strongest player at your level. If you are usually near the middle of the scoreboard, hunt someone there. If you are usually near the top, hunt someone up there.

The point of BZ (besides having fun) is to get better. You don't get better by just killing the weakest player out there.
Gage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gage »

For the most part, I agree with "If it's in front of you, kill it" - but you can (as mrapple points out) be selective about who you put in front of you. AND - there are times when it's to your advantage to not just automatically blast someone. In my case, the seer tank clearly knew the location of the dominant st and could have easily guessed that I was about to shoot it - so it would have been to the seer tank's advantage to wait 1/2 a second for me to kill the st, and then shoot me.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

But the seer sees the ST as well, so the ST has no advantage over it. The seer therefore can theoretically get two kills instead of one. You are just looking at it from your perspective not his.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jacko H »

mrapple wrote:
Is that what you do? Hunt the lowest person on the scoreboard and then just kill them until they leave? That's really childish and shows how weak you a
Hold on, where did I write i hunt the worst players. I said u kil for points and yu take every opotunity.
Mrapple i dont think u should give advice on becoming better.
Jacko Productions:
World War III, Kill Or Die, Nazarath, Warlock Adrenaline, Rabbit Season, Firing Range (Just Be Simple), Death Island.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Maybe we would understand what you meant if you wrote proper English.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

Jacko h wrote:Mrapple i dont think u should give advice on becoming better.
Why not? Is there something that disqualifies me from giving advice? It's my opinion. You choose wether or not you want to listen.

Back to my advice on "getting better".... I think most people would agree you get better by playing with people who are better then you. It kind of makes sense.

Also, maybe something you can get better at is writing with acceptable grammar ;)
Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jacko H »

Well, I dont play maps with flags. I play hix or ducati style. So I do play against better people, that improves my skils. Mr apple you got to stop telling me what to do better, when I think you shoud concentrate on your own game, because that needs some work.
Jacko Productions:
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

Jacko h wrote:Mr apple you got to stop telling me what to do better, when I think you shoud concentrate on your own game, because that needs some work.
I'm not telling you what to do, I'm giving my opinion. It's your choice wether or not to follow it. Which you might want to if you plan on getting better ;)

Back to my "'game"... Sure I'm not perfect and there is always room for improvement. There are tons of people better then me, and I admit that. I don't play BZFlag so I can "get to the top" and "be number one", I play it because it's a fun little something to do in my free time.

Final statement: please read the board rules http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=890. Rule 2 clearly states "Flaming, aggravating, picking on, or ranting on anyone is NOT acceptable behavior under any circumstances". This forum is edging on that, so lets make it not. Back to the topic of the original post, please.

Thanks
17xina01
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 17xina01 »

But, if ur an st and u see someone who saw ur shot, would u kill them? I would probably in that case not kill him/her unless they see me. Because if you kill them, they may remember exactly where you are. Even if they saw ur shot, chances are they don't know which direction it cam from, focusing on closest person they can see on radar, presumably. Then, they will forget about it over time.
Calzaath
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Calzaath »

mrapple wrote:
Is that what you do? Hunt the lowest person on the scoreboard and then just kill them until they leave? That's really childish and shows how weak you are at BZ.

If you wanted to get better and try to improve your skill set, you would hunt the strongest player at your level. If you are usually near the middle of the scoreboard, hunt someone there. If you are usually near the top, hunt someone up there.

The point of BZ (besides having fun) is to get better. You don't get better by just killing the weakest player out there.

i try to tackle the guy on the top of the list as a result i get scores in the -50s
888link
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 888link »

lol me too! Anyway, I think the best thing to do is kill first, ask questions later. (unless you are the one who has st, and then like 17xina01 said, there's more strategy to it)
N5X
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by N5X »

in my case this relates to playing CTF and the fact it's a team effort.
when i play as ST, i often use it for ambush tactics rather than just being able to sneak in to the enemy base undetected, and some of my ambush spots are carefully selected. for this reason, there are times where i have an easy kill nearby, but i don't take it because my ambush spot is important to the team, such as blocking an easy entrance into the team base. occasionally i will go "off mission" when i see an enemy camper nearby harassing my team's mobility. giving away my position is just as bad for my team as getting killed is for me. my ambush is more effective when the enemy doesn't know it's there. it's not a personal score thing, it's a team effort. i often get accused of camping, but it's securing a military objective (high value items, easy avenues of approach, advantageous firing positions), and it helps the team. so if i kill someone 3 or 4 times in a row, it's nothing personal, it's just i'm protecting a military objective for my team... often people take it personal and begin hunting me. the other disadvantage to playing as ST, is you often get TK'ed by accident, because your team mate doesn't know you're there and he's shooting at an enemy....
taz69
Private
Private

Post by taz69 »

I dont always kill. for example i might have laser... and be able to take out someone with seer... but if there is a cl or st on the board... and the seer isnt coming after me... i make the assumption that the seer is going after them... and would much rather have them take care of my "problem". same goes for any situation... gm/st, oo/sb, etc