newbie questions....

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
N5X
Private First Class
Private First Class

newbie questions....

Post by N5X »

1> when using GM, why can't i get a lock on something except once in a while, even though an enemy is in plain view and close?
2> often when i do get a lock, it's on a friendly off to the side.
3> what is there to do about spawnkillers that just sit and fire blindly into a spawn site.... it's kinda frustrating to spawn 4 or 5 times and get killed as soon as you appear...
4> are there any "practice" maps with bots?
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: newbie questions....

Post by Bambino »

3) pick a different map. The one you're on is most likely poorly made in that aspect
4) no
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

As for 1 and 2, that's the disadvantage of GM. In crowded maps, it's hard to lock onto the tank you want. Also, paused tanks can prevent you from locking on someone behind them.

For 4, you can run your own server locally and then populate it with bots. See http://my.bzflag.org/w/Single_Player_Mode
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

N5X
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by N5X »

tnx for the info.... i think the practice will help, even if it is against bots... i've played a few bot games and learned a few ways to dodge incoming rounds and bracket my shots, but as far as a jumping game goes, it's too bad the bots don't jump... oh well practice is practice, and it does seem to help some....

somebody might want to update he bzfs info though. the client program doesn't seem to want to connect to the server run from the command line (unless maybe i missed something), but will connect to a server it runs itself, and the client-run server doesn't seem to read bzfs.conf
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You're doing something wrong if you can't connect. If you used a sample config file, don't. It's much too easy to create a broken config from the samples. Write one yourself and add stuff a few options at a time, and ONLY stuff that you need.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

N5X wrote:it's too bad the bots don't jump
They do, with a little practice you'll figure that out also.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Don't rapid-fire on the lock-on key... Hit it once, then wait a second or two before trying again.
Once you do get a lock, don't hit the lock-on again until the missile hits... or a more important target is attacking you.
You can also fire a missile, and then lock-on later. This is very nice for firing around corners. The missile flies straight, until you tell it to turn. This takes practice.

Remember, it's full name is "Identify/Lock-on". Even when you don't have missiles, the key can also be used to identify a player, and his weapon (except stealth). The ability to know which weapon another player has is a real pro move. It will save you from being killed by super bullet... let you know if someone has seer when you have stealth.... look out for agility when you have burrow... the list goes on and on... The ability to use this key correctly separates the noobs from the pros in BZFlag.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

ttfkad wrote:
N5X wrote:it's too bad the bots don't jump
They do, with a little practice you'll figure that out also.
Autopilot jumps, but -solo bots do not. They do not share any AI code.

dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

ah, that's the difference, tks blast for pointing that out.
N5X
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by N5X »

the bots DO have a nasty habit of firing where i'm going to land when i jump...

been playing several games with my kids on a local server, and i add 2 or 3 bots to liven things up a little...
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

The one thing about bots playing is they always hit where they aim. :-)
N5X
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by N5X »

ok, another question.... in a CTF game, i often take the task of guarding the team flag. i come from a military background, and one never leaves an objective unguarded (i know this is a game, but this makes sense in a game of CTF, does it not?). so i guard the flag, and when i stop an intruder, i get GJ from the team captain, but when the same player is on the opposing team, he accuses me of "camping"... i don't get something here.... it's not like i'm sitting in an inaccessible position with GM launching on everything that moves. the object of the game is to keep the opposition from getting the team flag.... somebody help me understand this...
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Sounds like they're just upset that they can't win.