On or off buildings

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
gravyfan
Private First Class
Private First Class

On or off buildings

Post by gravyfan »

This thread was inspired by playing the Quick Shot, Fast Bullets server in which you constantly have duels of two tanks. One on the building and one off, waiting for the tank on the ground to jump, or the tank on the building to fall. Obviously there are different advantages and disadvantages to both positions, but overall on any map and any circumstances, which is the best position to be in? Explain in what conditions which position is the best, and so on.
joevano
General
General

Re: On or off buildings

Post by joevano »

Sorry to cut your thread short but there is no condition where being lower is better in any circumstance ... ;-)

(except if there were reverse gravity)
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Well, technically it depends on the map, and what flags each player has. On some maps you risk getting shot with laser (from far away) if you are up higher, so the one lower could just wait if they know that, or even inform their teammates about the situation. Or think about certain flags that the person on the ground could have that would give them the advantage. If the one on the ground has stealth and gets close to the wall of the box, the one on the top can no longer determine the location of the one on the ground.

So, sure, assuming no flags and even skill levels, the one on the ground is probably at a disadvantage. But things are rarely that simple.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

Being on the ground is more fun. More to do. More possibilities.
There needs to be book flag for campers so that they can read something while they wait for somebody else to put themselves in harm's way.
Fun is where it's at for me.
I vote floor every time. (even at the expense of my score)
Pizzahead
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Pizzahead »

Normally it's easier to dodge while on the ground (since there's usually more space.) As blast said, each has its pros and cons, and it also depends on the situation, but personally I prefer the ground.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.
OH THE HUGE MANATEE
Private
Private

Post by OH THE HUGE MANATEE »

On Quickshot at least, which is what you were talking about, it's better to be on the ground and effectively prevent them from coming down on your side, so you can kill other tanks on the ground while you wait for them to come down. And it's easy to catch the person on top off guard and kill them if they think you're turned around, shooting at other tanks.