Wanting To Make A 'vs Superplayer' Gametype

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
The Vet
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wanting To Make A 'vs Superplayer' Gametype

Post by The Vet »

Hello!

I've recently started playing Team Fortress 2 (team-based FPS like BZFlag). There's a game type there that I really enjoy called 'vs Saxton Hale'. It's where a whole team is pitted against a player who has super health and only a very high melee attack; similar to BZFlag's Rabbit Hunt except the rabbit is super'd.
I would like to bring this game type into BZFlag if it hasn't been already. How would I go about developing such a game type?

The Particulars I Am Considering:
  • Super Rabbit has hitpoints determined by opposing team size and strength. Better/more players result in a stronger Super Rabbit.
  • Super Rabbit has only a short range weapon such as SR or a small-radius SW. Can't change weapon.
  • Rabbit Handoff is either standard (Rabbit killer becomes next Rabbit) or is determined at random.
  • Scoring is either standard (one kill makes a point) or is counted by the number of times you hit the Super Rabbit/how many players the Super Rabbit kills.
What do you guys think?

- The Vet
blast
General
General

Re: Wanting To Make A 'vs Superplayer' Gametype

Post by blast »

Hitpoints can sorta be done with a plugin and shield flags. You could repeatedly give a tank shied flags when they get hit. This isn't perfect, of course, since lag would come into play, and some flag powerups (like SR) would kill them anyway. The client still decides if they die, so you can't really override that.

You can't set the SW radius for a single tank. So it would either be small for everyone or noone. Also, you can't prevent a tank from dropping a flag - you could just give them the flag back, though. (Also, you might be able to do it if you modify bzfs and set the "sticky" bit. I can't recall if that is client-side or server-side though.)

The last two things should be easy with a plugin though. The rabbit selection can be handled in a bzfs plugin, and you can override player scores properly in 2.4.x.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

The Vet
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Vet »

blast: Thanks!
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

Tell me, The Vet, did you copy that idea by either of this two games: RuneScape or MineCraft ? (: Just curious.
To be or not to be. - W. Shakespeare
To bee or not to bee? I sure love Honee! - FangUp
Playing since 2005, with an unregistered nickname.
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

FangUp wrote:Tell me, The Vet, did you copy that idea by either of this two games: RuneScape or MineCraft ? (: Just curious.
Read his post, he got it from Team Fortress II
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

Ah i see
To be or not to be. - W. Shakespeare
To bee or not to bee? I sure love Honee! - FangUp
Playing since 2005, with an unregistered nickname.