New Game Mode: Defusal?

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

New Game Mode: Defusal?

Post by allejo »

If anyone is familiar with Counter Strike, then please correct me if I'm wrong but there's a game mode called Defusal where it's terrorists vs. counter terrorists. Basically the terrorists have a bomb and they set the bomb at a location. The counter terrorists have a certain amount of time to find the bomb and defuse it. I'm wondering if anyone is interested in bringing the concept to BZ? I already started writing a plugin for it where it'd be Red vs. Blue. The red team (Terrorists) would take the red flag and and type in "/bomb" and the bomb would be set in that location. The red flag won't be able to be moved by a player and it will be reset to the bomb location if an admin does a /flag reset. (Obviously, there will be a plugin command to remove the bomb and reset the flag incase the flag gets stuck there.) Anyhow, the blue team will have X amount of time to find (no radar map) the red team flag and hold it for X seconds (time to defuse the bomb without moving from a radius of X). If the blue team manages to hold the flag and "defuse the bomb" then the blue team gets a point as if they capped and red team would lose a point. If the time runs out, then everyone dies and the red teams gains a point as if they capped and blue team would lose a point (Just like the current CTF scores). In order to encourage players to defuse the bomb or to set the bomb, the person who defuses the bomb gets the kills of the entire red team, the rest of the blues will gain 2 points. As for the red team, in order to encourage them, who ever places the bomb and it detonates successfully, they get the kills of the entire blue team, and the rest of the reds will gain 2 points. If the red team fails to place the bomb in X minutes, then they automatically lose and the blue team gets the points. Any suggestions on this game mode concept? Is anyone interested in this game mode concept? If this has been done before or no one is interested, I'll drop the project.
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: New Game Mode: Defusal?

Post by FangUp »

It is interesting but if you see BZFlag as an "shooting-action" kinda game. Like everything explodes. Most of poeple play BZFlag becose of technique, not the aftermath when you killed someone.
However, if you ment by this "bomb" a huge SW out radius as a World Weapon triggered when time is off (no teamkilling) it may be cool.
KEEP IN MIND!: if someone places the bomb and reds (example in color) defuses it, the blues would not be really pleased for the blue tank that it happened, they would be even more angry if it would happen more than 1 time.
Plus, from what i see only 1 bomb can be placed at one time, correct?
Well, someone with quick fingers and no honor could just type "/bomb" and set it. That is even worse than Flag running!
Still, you got the idea, all ideas are welcome, just think of bad things that may happen (IF you did not) (:
To be or not to be. - W. Shakespeare
To bee or not to bee? I sure love Honee! - FangUp
Playing since 2005, with an unregistered nickname.
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

Sounds really fun, this is a gametype in many other games too, not just counterstrike, so it is defiantly popular. I would love to see this plug-in finished.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

I agree with Mark_IV, very nice game concept.

May I also make the suggestion to instead of going radar-less just making the team flags radar-less? _hideTeamFlagsOnRadar is now a variable, and if your only intent of disabling radar is to remove the flag, better to use this variable and allow players to still have mobility. (Another cool thing, the big fat arrow that appears [As long as _forbidMarkers remains off] allows for your teammates to know where it is, so they can guard it.) Just a thought.

This also might add strategy to try and hunt the player that is carrying a team flag when they see it on the scoreboard, so maybe _forbidHunting would be necessary also.

[EDIT]: blast is correct, there is nothing wrong with the current way the score functions are implemented, so what I say right below is irrelevant.
You mentioned you were going to modify scores with the plugin? Do you know the technique for keeping player scores in sync? Just thought I would mention it, since it takes a little bit of trickery for the scores to be synced among everyone when you modify them like that. If not, you should experiment. :wink:
Last edited by SkillDude on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

BZFlag 2.4 should be able to properly handle player score changes.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

sigonasr2 wrote:I agree with Mark_IV, very nice game concept.

May I also make the suggestion to instead of going radar-less just making the team flags radar-less? _hideTeamFlagsOnRadar is now a variable, and if your only intent of disabling radar is to remove the flag, better to use this variable and allow players to still have mobility.
Ohhhhhhhh perfect. Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware of that. :D I am also going to have _forbidHunting.
blast wrote:BZFlag 2.4 should be able to properly handle player score changes.
Ahhhh great! I'm glad to know that I don't have to mess around in order to have player scores in sync. :)
mahem1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mahem1 »

What would stop the terrorist from just camping beside the bomb?
If there were enough people than they could just respawn and come back and the good guys wouldn't have enough time to defuse it.Or is that just how the game style is suppose to be?
But I think overall it would be a good plugin to make. Sounds interesting, especially on a good map.
Lag makes me miss all of the good stuff.
And random bans..........
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

mahem1, you have a good point. I think i'll be putting an anti-camp radius around the bomb where you can't spend more than X seconds there or something like that
Huntsman
Private
Private

Post by Huntsman »

FangUp wrote:It is interesting but if you see BZFlag as an "shooting-action" kinda game. Like everything explodes. Most of poeple play BZFlag becose of technique, not the aftermath when you killed someone.
However, if you ment by this "bomb" a huge SW out radius as a World Weapon triggered when time is off (no teamkilling) it may be cool.
KEEP IN MIND!: if someone places the bomb and reds (example in color) defuses it, the blues would not be really pleased for the blue tank that it happened, they would be even more angry if it would happen more than 1 time.
Plus, from what i see only 1 bomb can be placed at one time, correct?
Well, someone with quick fingers and no honor could just type "/bomb" and set it. That is even worse than Flag running!
Still, you got the idea, all ideas are welcome, just think of bad things that may happen (IF you did not) (:
1. Only the opposing team can defuse a bomb.
2. The bomb can only be placed a specific points on the map by the bomb carrier person.
3. The number of bomb placement points is dependent on the size of the map.
4. Counter Strike is a "shooting-action" kinda game.
5. The Defuse maps encourage cooperation.
6. Once a bomb is placed the placing team protects the bomb from being defused.
7. When the bomb is about to go off there is an audible countdown timer.
8. The bomb can be passed to anyone in the bomb placing team. (Actually the player drops the bomb and another picks it up)
9. The spawn points for both teams are equidistant to the bomb placing points and at opposing sides of the map forcing players to move quickly towards choking points or bombsites.
Huntsman
Private
Private

Post by Huntsman »

mahem1 wrote:What would stop the terrorist from just camping beside the bomb?
If there were enough people than they could just respawn and come back and the good guys wouldn't have enough time to defuse it.Or is that just how the game style is suppose to be?
Some more information about Counter Strike:-

No person is allowed to spawn until the bomb is defused/or explodes.
Dead players watch the rest of the action; depending on the server setting, they can see either side or just their team (spawns are always at the spawn point).

Protecting the bomb is part of the skill of a terrorist team.

There is a time limit on placing the bomb to stop the terrorists taking too long; if they take too long, the defusing team wins the game.
A set of games (n many) wins the match.

In some games of "Defusing the Bomb" there are punishments for camping in one place to long (their health is diminished for each penalty of camping); this forces the terrorists to hunt the Defuse team when the bomb is planted and to stop the defusing team camping on a bombsite. (This is to promote a faster game)

Remember that the spawn points are equidistant so that planting a bomb is not a guaranteed outcome.

Also there may be n (1 to 3 normally) many bomb planting points so do the terrorist stake all on going on mass to one bomb planting point or do they slit hoping to get behind the defusing team and take them unawares? It is a gamble.

Radar only works for team coordination not for tracking the opposing force.

Do you attack quick and noisily or slow and stealthy?
Zverina
Internet Troll
Internet Troll

Post by Zverina »

So... Not trying to break the fun or anything... But it has been some time since the OP came out and, well, will this be released?
The result of saying that you can beat me is the same as bragging how Ponies are stupid... You always die in the end.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

This post was necrobumped, so no.
ImageJeffM
Zverina
Internet Troll
Internet Troll

Post by Zverina »

Yeah, the last sentance says it.
The result of saying that you can beat me is the same as bragging how Ponies are stupid... You always die in the end.