Wings Gravity Change Discussion

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
Corporeal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wings Gravity Change Discussion

Post by Corporeal »

This Topic is for a so-called "Wings Gravity Change Discussion".
As we know, the Wings jump action changed with the "new" update.

Example:
When a Tank in falling with a high speed, the Wings-flap used to totally slow it down and even do a flap up.
Now, it reacts more "realistic", like nothing happens. (The pressure of the speed still pushes it down hard)

This makes it a harder way to control it, but an easier way to kill someone with the WG flag.
Do you, personally like this, or no?

And one more quesion, is there a way to disable this without any need of Plugins?

Thanks.
You see me, but do not bother. I will not take my time for you, unless you earned it. Now show me, just how Pathetic you are.
blast
General
General

Re: Wings Gravity Change Discussion

Post by blast »

There is no way to disable it even with plugins, as plugins are server-side only. The change was client-side. You would have to fork the game and have everyone use a new client/server version.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

The easiest way to stop a rapid descent is to land on something. If you flap right after touching the ground, you'll get the "full" lift-off effect.

I think the wings changes are a significant improvement over 2.0.x- Wings now takes some skill to use properly. It doesn't enable novice players to dominate a server like it used to. Also, with any luck, it's now sufficiently difficult to use that new players are less likely to use it as a crutch in lieu of learning how to actually play the game. I've encountered players whose strategy is simply to shop for a Wings flag until they find one, because they can't hold their own any other way.

Wings still provides a significant advantage in the hands of a decent player, even with one flap. It's just more risky now to do ridiculous high divebomb maneuvers and such.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

I would rather keep it the way it is now. Wings was/is still too powerful and this offsets that.
Corporeal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Corporeal »

L4m3r, believe me, I play a very long time now and I know what it is the best to use...
I proclaim myself as a WG pro, actually. :)
This was made for open discussion about the change, not what to do to use it the best.
But your post has great source, cheers.

Blast, it would be a little bit hard to convince players into that, but thx. :)

DEFenseMAN, I never said that it would change back, but I think that it was too powerful too.
However, that is why I asked if it is possible to change it back, more options avaliable, the better.
You see me, but do not bother. I will not take my time for you, unless you earned it. Now show me, just how Pathetic you are.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

There are no plans to add any more options to the flag.
ImageJeffM
Blondsasquatch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Blondsasquatch »

What all can you do with wings exactly? I know you can change direction but what else can you do?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Jump (well, "flap") in the air as well.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

mahem1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mahem1 »

In my opinion wings have improved. I always disliked the people who would skydive, and if you shoot at them they simply press the tab key and are back in safety, else they just hit the ground and shoot you or make you jump, then are also back in safety.
Whereas, now they can't jump from such high heights and don't go as high when the jump in the air, even on maps where you have a high jump count they have to decelerate, then you can at least jump and commit suicide and they cannot just hop away.
It takes more skill, which generate more mistakes you can pick off.
Lag makes me miss all of the good stuff.
And random bans..........
g4force
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by g4force »

the new update has improved wings in the way that its now much more "evenly matched" with other flags, but it doesn't make it useless.