Handicap

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
Blondsasquatch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Handicap

Post by Blondsasquatch »

I heard you can use handicaps. How do these work?
blast
General
General

Re: Handicap

Post by blast »

Handicap is a server option, so it would have to be enabled by the server owner.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Blondsasquatch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Blondsasquatch »

What would it do though, would it make the people with more points weaker or what?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I think it makes people with less points just move/turn faster (and people with more points move/turn slower). I haven't used it, so I'm not 100% sure.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mr64bit »

I've tested it on my server, and it does work as advertised. Players with lower score compared to the player with the highest score move and turn faster, thus making their bullets go faster as well.
However, for some reason, it seems mess up the scores. This happens on a per-client basis (meaning not everyone sees the same thing). Random people's scores will go into either + or - thousands or more. (the scores reset back to their proper values after a kill/death though) It also seems to cause the ECONNRESET/EPIPE error, randomly kicking players.
---mr64bit
Iskskskks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Iskskskks »

mr64bit wrote:I've tested it on my server, and it does work as advertised. Players with lower score compared to the player with the highest score move and turn faster, thus making their bullets go faster as well.
However, for some reason, it seems mess up the scores. This happens on a per-client basis (meaning not everyone sees the same thing). Random people's scores will go into either + or - thousands or more. (the scores reset back to their proper values after a kill/death though) It also seems to cause the ECONNRESET/EPIPE error, randomly kicking players.
So is handicap bad?
mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mr64bit »

Short answer, yes. It messes up your server. (yes, I do have the latest truck release)
If it worked correctly with no bugs, I would say more servers should use, and before I knew it was buggy, I wondered why no servers used it.
I don't understand why it causes the scores to go haywire though. It should only be reading the variables, not writing to them...
---mr64bit
Iskskskks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Iskskskks »

mr64bit wrote:Short answer, yes. It messes up your server. (yes, I do have the latest truck release)
If it worked correctly with no bugs, I would say more servers should use, and before I knew it was buggy, I wondered why no servers used it.
I don't understand why it causes the scores to go haywire though. It should only be reading the variables, not writing to them...
Oh ok Thx Mr64bit.