Best places to learn tactics?

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
The_Conman
Private
Private

Best places to learn tactics?

Post by The_Conman »

Hi,
I'm relatively new to BZFlag, although I played it a few years ago I never really got into it. Lately I've started to get back into it, but I seem to be much more of a hindrance than a help to my team, just recently I joined a game and within a minute or two had been killed 17 times. :(

So I just want to know if there are any games set up for people to learn basic tactics and co-ordinated play, as it is impossible to learn if you get blown up within a few seconds of starting...

Regards, (and apologies to any and all ex-team mates for my ineptitude)
The_Conman
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Best places to learn tactics?

Post by SkillDude »

Maps such as the "Ducati-style" maps are a great way to get started. These maps only have two shots, making gameplay a bit more manageable. At the same time, you learn how to dodge them since there is no jumping and you learn how ricochet shots work. Even though this style may be harder, getting familiar with it will benefit you in many ways. If you're looking for 3-shot no ricochet, Pillbox is another notable map.

While not as effective and a bit more tricky, the HIX style of maps can also benefit you. This map uses three shots as opposed to two and is a bit more oriented toward ricochet and jump tricks. This style will probably be more beneficial to you in the long run, but because it is more complicated (Not to mention there are capture the flag versions as well), you may want to start with Ducati style ones and work your way up.

Because these maps don't have superflags, you will not get any practice with those. However, if you master the fundamentals these maps teach you without the flags, adding the superflags is just a matter of watching flag symbols on the scoreboard, finding the threats, and using that Right-click / Identify (I) key to make sure you use the proper counters or take the proper action towards each individual case.

Hope this helps you, enjoy your time out there.
The_Conman
Private
Private

Post by The_Conman »

Thanks,
Where can I find "Ducati-style" maps? I have tried to look in the mapping section of the forum, but there's a lot to go through... Is there an addons page, or something similar?

Regards,
TC
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

In-Game on the server list, go ahead and use the "/" key to begin search mode.

Type in the word Ducati and you will find related servers. You can do the same for Pillbox and HIX.

There will be "match servers" and "public servers". You should look for public ones to play on. If you ever feel more interested in playing and becoming better, feel free to join the GU and Ducati leagues. (GU is the most active, and Ducati along with many others are pretty inactive nowadays.)

Also, by default, pressing the 4 key on your keyboard at the server list will activate the "Ducati" filter, which is another way to check out those kinds of maps. (Pressing 0 on your keyboard returns to the original unfiltered list)

Feel free to start up these servers. Many other good players are always willing to play on these maps.
The_Conman
Private
Private

Post by The_Conman »

Thank you for your response, it is very helpful. I hope to soon be a worthy opponent! :wink:

Regards,
TC
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The ducati public servers are generally empty these days, at least according to stats.
ImageJeffM
The_Conman
Private
Private

Post by The_Conman »

JeffM wrote:The ducati public servers are generally empty these days, at least according to stats.
That would seem to explain why I can't find any other players there... :|

I'll try and pick things up playing rogue.

Regards,
TC
Tanx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanx »

hix ffa pops up tho, its still a good place to learn the basics, as long as you don't mind dying a lot. Usually joining a hix ffa will draw players to play it, hix is the map GU league uses btw. So going on a hix map can mean you'll see some of them. But the worst possible place for a new player is apocalypse, which I suspect is where you died 17 times in a minute or two. preferably you'd want to start on pillbox (but like ducati isn't seen that often, pillbox is rare compared to seeing a ducati server with players), then you would want to move up to ducati, which adds ricochet to the equation, and then to hix, which adds jumping, and then after that a map with flags.

pillbox is where I learned myself, a good map too learn non ricochet shooting, and dodging
ducati is good to learn ricos, the two shots forcing you to use your shots well, and choose wisely
hix is good to learn placing jumps, while still requiring you to know the skills pillbox and ducati teach

this is in no way relative to the skill required by each of these maps, but the basic skills that each teaches here is what I'm after here. Also some players would be willing to help you out, but some things can't be taught, but require experience to learn, which in bzflag terms means dying.

hix is probably the prefered choice as the other two aren't common to see up. personally, myself when I came back from a 1-2 year absence I went straight to mofo's passion. At the time the worst possible place to start, but then again I had 5 years of previous bz experience, but not much, just some little basics.

I'd be willing to try and help you along, but I don't exactly see myself as a good teacher.
known as: Tanx, Eoncho, ckw.
Bzflag player since 2001.