Some newbie questions

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
kiodos
Private
Private

Some newbie questions

Post by kiodos »

Hi to all, here's kiodos

I played bzflag some years ago into a closed LAN with friends and now that I returned I discover some servers around the world.
Anyway I noticed some tanks behaviours that I didn't remember, could you help me?

1 - I noticed some tanks moving by their side when jumping without wings flag, is this possible ?
2 - Some tanks carrying the team flag have also other flags like wings or laser, etc ... again is it possible ?
3 - Can't lock the GM several times on target while other tanks can lock and kill me rapidly , is it question of training or just bad behaviours ?
4 - Where I can find a description of the abilities of each flag ?
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: Some newbie questions

Post by kierra »

Welcome back to bzflag!

Check the wiki pages: https://wiki.bzflag.org/Flag_List
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Hi kiodos,

I'm not sure if I'm able to answer all your questions, but I'll see what I can do.
kiodos wrote: 1 - I noticed some tanks moving by their side when jumping without wings flag, is this possible ?
I've seen it done with "Agility", "Thief" and "High Speed" flags.(Usually by jumping and with a slight turn it sometimes makes it seem like they might have jumped sideways.)
2 - Some tanks carrying the team flag have also other flags like wings or laser, etc ... again is it possible ?
I'm assuming you mean a player is holding the team flag and has other powers.
This is possible with plug-ins and has been done quite a bit. (See links I've placed below.)
Also there's custom flag plug-ins and there may be flags which aren't listed which appear.
3 - Can't lock the GM several times on target while other tanks can lock and kill me rapidly , is it question of training or just bad behaviours ?
GM works by locking on the nearest tank and by locking on to it by right mouse click. (If using default configurations.)
Also depending on where you play, GM has a very tight or very lose turn ratio.(Meaning in some areas it's possible to out-dodge a GM lock and while in others it's virtually impossible.)
Also GM can lock on to teammates. (So watch out for TKs.)
4 - Where I can find a description of the abilities of each flag ?
Depends a bit as there are custom flags, but there's a list of official flags which exist.
There's a few links I've provided below which might give a general idea of some of the custom ones which exist.

Links
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=12418 - Fun with Genocide
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=14156 - TeamWeapons - just started
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=18792 - Grenade flag release - as seen on Apocalypse
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=17528 - OFFA Genocide
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=12669 - Thief Kills plugin released!
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=18075 - Extra Point Flags!
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=17630 - UselessMine - Create Mines with the Useless Flag Once Again!
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

kiodos wrote:1 - I noticed some tanks moving by their side when jumping without wings flag, is this possible ?
The tanks might be hitting an obstacle mid-jump, which could be taking away their rotation.
kiodos wrote:2 - Some tanks carrying the team flag have also other flags like wings or laser, etc ... again is it possible ?
It is not possible to have the team flag and also have the effects of wings. Team flag and laser is possible via a server plugin, but I'm not sure if anyone is doing that. (Plus, it wouldn't show up as a laser for the local client as shot type modifications by a plugin do not affect the original client.) The Mofo server, for instance, has a plugin that provides a genocide effect when you are (I think) carrying your own team flag.
kiodos wrote:3 - Can't lock the GM several times on target while other tanks can lock and kill me rapidly , is it question of training or just bad behaviours ?
I'll elaborate on what Zehra mentioned. The default settings (tank speed, shot speed, and the GM turn speed) are set up so that a tank moving almost perpendicular to the direction of a locked GM can avoid being shot. Some servers increase the tank speed or shot speed, which exaggerates this, making it even easier to avoid being shot by a locked GM.
kiodos wrote:4 - Where I can find a description of the abilities of each flag ?
The Help menu in the game describes all of the flags. You can also toggle flag help while playing with the 'f' key. That would show you a description of the flag you are carrying on the screen.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

markyisri
Private
Private

Post by markyisri »

blast wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:01 am The Mofo server, for instance, has a plugin that provides a genocide effect when you are (I think) carrying your own team flag.
Correct. It also has custom flags like Grenade, Airstrike, etc.
kaadmy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kaadmy »

blast wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:01 am The Mofo server, for instance, has a plugin that provides a genocide effect when you are (I think) carrying your own team flag.
I think it just kills all enemy players when a kill is triggered by the flag holder, it's not a genocide shot.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

There doesn't seem to be a genocide shot type.
According to this post TeamWeapons - just started.
Not sure if this is the case in more recent versions of BZFlag.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread