1v1 Flagged FFA Courtesy

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

1v1 Flagged FFA Courtesy

Post by tainn »

There currently exist unwritten 1 versus 1 rules or guidelines on flagged free-for-all (FFA) maps. Since they are rather known among active veterans but seemingly not among newer players, this post serves as a bit of an introduction to them.

There are primarily two types of rules of general courtesy that apply:

Type 1: Stealth+ Clause
A player must not utilize the Stealth (ST) flag, or any other flag that is exceedingly dominant on that specific map. If a player grabs ST, it must be dropped immediately. Other flags depend on the map that is being played, but usually, the second disallowed flag is Wings (WG) on a map that doesn't specialize into it and has a high WG flap count.

Type 2: Drop Clause
A player must drop the flag they were holding after killing the other player, and attempt to make the next successful kill with a different flag. In other words, it is one flag, one kill.

Ideally, both of these types should apply simultaneously, but that again depends on the type of the map. Type 1 cannot apply if there are no ST and/or dominant flags on the map, while type 2 cannot apply if the amount of different types of flags on the map is really low. But that usually isn't the case; FFA maps tend to host a variety of flags, including ST and the rest being of different superiority.

The next time you go 1v1 against someone on flagged FFA maps, try to apply these rules if you aren't doing so already; it makes the game more exciting and fair!
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: 1v1 Flagged FFA Courtesy

Post by kierra »

IMNSHO, even on a ctf map like apocalypse, it is poor sportsmanship to sit with gm or laser when there are only 2 players.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: 1v1 Flagged FFA Courtesy

Post by Zehra »

It would not take much for server owners to add a quick server message:

Code: Select all

-srvmsg "In one vs one, drop the most powerful flags by default,"
-srvmsg "and drop the flags upon each successful kill.
Or rather get server owners to load up the oneOnOneRules plug-in.

Quite possibly, if that is not enough, fair play can be encouraged in game, sometimes in creative forms with a motto.
Additionally the forums tend to be unread by most and it's generally unlikely for one to gain a response.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread