Extra points for flag capture!

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

abolish personal scores all the way. if you want to FFA - go to an ffa server!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

it would be harder if the person get points because u will become like a rogue and everyone will try to kill u especially in servers where u dont die when tk
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

exactly. so on ctf games, have no personal score.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mostly Harmless! »

If you get a ton of points for capturing the flag, it will be more like rabbit hunt.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.
It is not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.
Always remember you are unique. Just like everybody else.
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:exactly. so on ctf games, have no personal score.

No, that wouldn't work. If it were that way, the server would have a harder time picking which team to put you on, you know, that option called "auto team". Anyway, I retract my 'get rich, or cap trying' statement, and say that its fine the way it is.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Ice Wewe wrote: No, that wouldn't work. If it were that way, the server would have a harder time picking which team to put you on, you know, that option called "auto team".
isn't the -autoteam done by player numbers, not score? it just evens the teams, or as far as i can tell from running my server.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Score one for Spazzy Mcgee!

Score- Spaz. 1 Ice 0
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mostly Harmless! »

When the teams are even, and the player uses automatic or a team that is not avalible, I think that -autoteam puts you in the team with the lower score. I'm not sure, though.

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.
It is not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.
Always remember you are unique. Just like everybody else.
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:
Ice Wewe wrote: No, that wouldn't work. If it were that way, the server would have a harder time picking which team to put you on, you know, that option called "auto team".
isn't the -autoteam done by player numbers, not score? it just evens the teams, or as far as i can tell from running my server.

It takes 2/3 things in mind when placing you on a team. The teams capture score, which it sometimes doesn't count. The team with players that are owning, and the team with players that are not owning. (and finally) The team with more players, and the team with less players. It takes all of these into account, then places you on the team it thinks deserves you most. If that makes any sense, which I doubt it does. :wink:
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

wrong! it doesnt care what the scores are.

i.e. I joined as Automatic on one of the norang servers. when i hit connect, it said that there were 5 blues and 5 reds. when i got in, 4 blues were on top, then 1 red, then the other blue, followed by the other 4 reds. it put me on blue. score, huh?
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

yeah. the best idea here so far is to abolish team scores. what does the almighty jeff think?
Night Crawler
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Night Crawler »

I have found something that should be good. We could have to score board. One for the kill and one for the flag captured by yourself. So if you look at somebody in the score with -25 and 10 flag captured, you will see that he is good even if he get a low score.
-
''You should alway look behing you when you are
in the darkness of the night, perhaps it's following you right now...''
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

I've seen this before

Post by dango »

I think someone else sugjest'd this before.

I personaly this that this would not be a good idea.
becuase:

-CTF is a team sport, if ten people help transport the flag and the capper get's a point it wouldn't be fair for teammates
-CTF scoreing is about how many flag caputes your team makes, not how high your score is, if your worrying about your score go to an FFA server
-People would be trying to get the flag more often and do stupid things to score those points
-If one person brings the flag up to right next to the base and dies, then someone else caps the flag, it wouldn't be very fair to their teammate
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: I've seen this before

Post by Ice Wewe »

me1 wrote:I think someone else sugjest'd this before.

I personaly this that this would not be a good idea.
becuase:

-CTF is a team sport, if ten people help transport the flag and the capper get's a point it wouldn't be fair for teammates
-CTF scoreing is about how many flag caputes your team makes, not how high your score is, if your worrying about your score go to an FFA server
-People would be trying to get the flag more often and do stupid things to score those points
-If one person brings the flag up to right next to the base and dies, then someone else caps the flag, it wouldn't be very fair to their teammate

Remind me again what started this whole topic? Why not leave the CTF as it is? It's been working well for long enough that I think it should be kept that way. sheesh. :roll:
oldmanstan
Private
Private

or...

Post by oldmanstan »

quake 1 CTF used to just give everyone on the team 10 points each time the team captured the flag, why not just reward everyone on the team for a cap? that way everyone who helps gets credit. members who dont help would also get points but on some level just by being there they are helping since the other team has to account for them as far as attacking, etc.

although i also like the idea of no individual score, that would also eliminate the incentive to solely go for score and not worry about the team. only problem is that there really wouldn't be a point to playing if teams were way uneven or if game was really small since just fighting would have no reward... unless you counted team kills in the team score also
slon02
Private First Class
Private First Class

ctf

Post by slon02 »

CTF was made for TEAMS to capture the opposite team's flag. Giving PLAYERS the points will NOT include the other teamates who took part in it and thus, teamwork might end. That wouldn't be too good eh?
DalerC
Private
Private

Post by DalerC »

Quake2 CTF did the following. First of all, you had a display for how many caps each team had. You could configure the server to end/restart the game after x amount of caps was reached or base it on the points achieved by the team. Points for the team for capping gave 15 to the one who actually got the flag capped. It gave 10 to all other members. BUT, along the way, if you defended the flag carrier by killing an aggressive member of the opposite team that was attacking the flag carrier, you got 2 points. I'm not sure the exact rules that made it so that you "defended" the flag carrier, but it was a general proximity to the flag carrier with shots coming in from the other team. You got 1 point for picking up the flag either if it was the initial pick up or if you picked it up after the flag carrier got nailed (although I could see here that we would need to make sure players didn't just drop and re-pickup the flag over and over). If you nailed the opponent's flag carrier you got an extra point and if you returned your team's flag back to your base you got 2 points.

So you had a few total scores. Inidividually, you had your score (regular kills were still just one point), you had your team's total score (the adding of all the individual team scores) and you had the total caps per team score (like 6 for Red, 2 for Blue).

The advantage of this is that you have all the stats for all the different player types. If you want to sit around and snipe all day, your only chance for any bonus points from your kills would be to help the flag carrier out in their dash back. If you wanted to risk everything and be the carrier, you have a ton to gain by going for it. But there is also incentive for everyone on the team given that the flag carrier would only get 5 points more for capping (15 for capping, 10 for everyone else). If you defended the flag carrier twice (1 point for each kill, plus 2 points each kill for "defending" for a total of 6), you would already have more than you would gain by capping it yourself (15). If you were interested in helping the team out, you could just pay attention to the total caps score and do whatever it took to get the flag over (which incidentally, in this model, works out most of the time to be the best way to gain individual points).

The actual point numbers and such are obviously up for debate. It inflates scores very quickly. But if you want the incentive to be the total team, I think you have to decrease the "value" of just killing randomly, and increase the value of killing for the team. Ha! I'm going to patent that. Please call this method the, "Thrill's Killing for the Team" method of scoring. (TM)
DalerC
Private
Private

Post by DalerC »

Hmm. Oddly enough, it looks like someone has set up a server to try just this concept. Check out the "Daler CTF" server.