Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Appropriate THIEF usage

Post by The Purple Panzer »

Every once and a while I'm on a server where teammates (often in
rabbit hunt mode, so not close teammates) will use Thief to grab my
flag. This seems antisocial in the extreme, and tempts me (so far not successfully) to blast their theiving butts with deliberate teamkilling shots - but so far I've taken a philosophical outlook, and let them go their ways.

Maybe I'm being a wimp. Maybe there ought to be some general understanding that if you use Thief to grab a teammate's flag, he's justified in TK'ing you. Or, perhaps the Thief ought to lose his flag and be dead for just trying such an impolite thing. Thoughts?
erebus
Private
Private

Justified TK

Post by erebus »

For me, this puts someone in the justified TK category, but just once. Now as for the deliberate TK'er, they go on hunt and get shot anytime they cross my path.
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

agreed, i would like the thief of flag in rabbit, to cause an instant death. much like team killing. now, before we get a bunch of comments about such and such, I would like to see it as an OPTION, server settable. The reason is that during CTF, I have used thief to steal the team flag to prevent an easy kill.

thats my two cents.....or pence.....etc
Last edited by Grumbler on Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

team flag

Post by The Purple Panzer »

That exception certainly makes sense - stealing the team flag can pretty much only be a good thing (unless it somehow becomes worth points to pick it up or return it to base). It seems a pretty clear-cut exception.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

I have only once used TH to grab another team's flag from a teammate nearing death. The opportunity doesn't arise too often.

I have lost flags to Thieving teammates on many occasions, when they just wanted the flag I had. In CTF, FFA, and RH. Once, I had SW, and just as I fired it to kill an opponent when I had the drop on it, a teammate TH'd it and I died as a direct result. I've had other incidents like that, but it was the most memorable.

In every case, I TK the jerk, without fail. No excuses accepted.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

On the server owner's perspective:

Disable the TH flag if you're hosting a rabbit hunt server.
ski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ski »

.....maybe if the TH flag didnt make such a fun noice...lol

really though, i do agree with you
Rest In Peace Vivek
1986-2005 :(

------------------------------
Member of DUB

Visit: Image
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

I feel that thieving teammates' flags in a FFA or CTF should be disallowed, but in rabbit chase it should be as I feel that there isn't as strong of a team bond in rabbit chase as in FFA or CTF.
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

I HATE THEIF

Post by Supertanker »

Sometimes when im playing, im about to shoot someone, and i run over the theif and then i die.
But i think that team theiving is not justifyable in any sense. Like toaster says, i usualy TK the guy that did it. Also, when im really bored i log on and tk until i get banned.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Yeah, it's quite lame. I wouldn't really do anything over one use of it... besides killing the teammate who just stole my flag (perverted sense of justice). ;)

If they continue to hunt for Thief to steal teammates' flags, then that's when you kick/ban them with a vote or tell a cop/admin about it.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
The Vaxorcist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Vaxorcist »

I personally just thief 'em. (MWHAHAHAH)

Evil, I know, but if they TK me, well, I deserved it. :evil:

I can understand RHs because you're competing with other players to kill the wabbit.

Then again, I'm not too good a player, so I don't really mind if people thief me. (It still makes me mad to TK them.)
imsome
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by imsome »

if your teamate has a good flag and sucks with it, i thief them
cookiecutter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cookiecutter »

It all depends on the situation. The few times I've been thiefed it's been by a poor noob who hasn't quite figured out that shooting your own teammates is bad. I gently set them staight as best I can.

As for an intentional thief, well I can't say what I'd do as it has never happened to me. But I would not shed a tear for an intentional thiefer who is tked.
nemesis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by nemesis »

I dont understand wht the prob is with thiefing the team flag in CTF. i never had the chance to do it, but if the team flag holder is under attack and you're close to the base, it makes sense. the thing is to be prudent about it. dont do it in the middle of nowhere with bad guys all around YOU.

in ffa, i think the point is moot because it's a lot funner to play as rogue.

rabit chase, i dunno...i can see both ways. if you can use it and once you use it you explain, i guess theres no prob. i think the idea is that you should be nice to teammates. if you dont want to be nice, look into joining the rogue team
Lil Dog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lil Dog »

:roll: dude i have learned after many times, i try to keep my cool, i get my flag stolen over 2 times by same person, i spin around and pop them saying things like "eat my feet boy O.o"
Valoche
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Valoche »

The only time I thief a teammate intentionnaly is on CTF: he has a team's flag, and I see him die in the near future, so I thief the flag to capture it/take it in a safe place.

Oh, and I TK on purpose on only one occasion: if a teammate is going to be shot by a geno. On the same occasion, I shoot myself, to avoid being shot by geno.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Valoche wrote:The only time I thief a teammate intentionnaly is on CTF: he has a team's flag, and I see him die in the near future, so I thief the flag to capture it/take it in a safe place.

Oh, and I TK on purpose on only one occasion: if a teammate is going to be shot by a geno. On the same occasion, I shoot myself, to avoid being shot by geno.
You're really helping your team, because if you let him get shot, you'd only lose 1 point, but if you TK then kill your self, you're losing 2 points, all so that the rest of your team won't die! What I'd do for teammates like you!
Lil Dog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lil Dog »

if i see a teammate getting genod i sy "jump! im coming!" and blast the dude thats blasting him
=) somtimes it dosnt work :cry:
Brayne Wady
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Brayne Wady »

I would use the thief flag to steal from my own mother. All is fair in war. :angel:
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

I would kill my own mother if she stole from me. :twisted:
pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »

I wouldnt do that to my mother ... I would just hide all the good stuff so she cant steal it anymore (money, booze and stuff to the sort)

:D

-pyr0
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

I find it good (and funny) to do run up near a Thief while you're holding a bad flag. He might just take it from you if he doesn't bother to check what flag you have.
a monkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by a monkey »

Heh, it's OK if my teammates steal bad flags, from me, but, good flags... that's another story. :wink:

No, really, I think it deserves a TK right back if a teammate tries to steal a flag of any kind from me. One time I blasted some idiot who stole my GM, and he/she replied, "hey no tk'ing".... :? Retard.
May the source be with you.
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!
Mrhankeythechristmaspoo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mrhankeythechristmaspoo »

I think that the proper use for the theift flag is to take OTHER teams flags or to best of all take your team flag there trying to steal from you. I agree with you that its like team killing to steal a teamates flag.
Nice idea
Hankey
Sorry if someone aleready said this. Please tell me
!
IF I KILL U U R UGLY
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Appropriate THIEF usage

Post by IF I KILL U U R UGLY »

The Purple Panzer wrote:Every once and a while I'm on a server where teammates (often in
rabbit hunt mode, so not close teammates) will use Thief to grab my
flag. This seems antisocial in the extreme, and tempts me (so far not successfully) to blast their theiving butts with deliberate teamkilling shots - but so far I've taken a philosophical outlook, and let them go their ways.

Maybe I'm being a wimp. Maybe there ought to be some general understanding that if you use Thief to grab a teammate's flag, he's justified in TK'ing you. Or, perhaps the Thief ought to lose his flag and be dead for just trying such an impolite thing. Thoughts?
I'd say that justifies a TK. I mean if he/she/it has the nerve to steal from a team mate they just prove that they have no beleif in teammates and deserve judgement! In anycase I'd blow their pants off.
Take that, beyotch.