too high lag

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
die smart
Private
Private

too high lag

Post by die smart »

could some 1 p,ease explain too me what the server means when it tells me my lag is too high.300 ms[/quote]
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

lag is basically the amount of time it takes the shots and tank positions and other info to go from your computer to the server.

If you have a crappy isp (like dial-up or slow dsl) your lag will usually be higher.

Also, lag gets higher the more people on the server.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Also, check to make sure you have no downloads or other running programs when you play.
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

Distance from the game server is also a factor. If you are trying to play on a game server that is on the other side of the world from where you are, 300ms is entirely possible.
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"
Inferno
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Inferno »

Win Xp wrote:lag is basically the amount of time it takes the shots and tank positions and other info to go from your computer to the server.

If you have a crappy isp (like dial-up or slow dsl) your lag will usually be higher.

Actually lag is the time it takes for your a "lag ping" to reach your computer and for your response to get back to the server. You can still have a slow procesor and stuff...but it doesn't take long to process a simple lag ping. So in short it's not how slow your computer is but your network connection to the server. I know this cause I've been doing alittle work on the protocol and making my own bot in perl.

The server sends out lag pings to each client every second.
slon02
Private First Class
Private First Class

lag

Post by slon02 »

if you have high lag, do one of these options. (or more)
1. Rejoin
2. Close some running programs
3. Pick a different server
4.Get a faster internet connection

I hope some of these tips are useful.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Inferno wrote:
Win Xp wrote:lag is basically the amount of time it takes the shots and tank positions and other info to go from your computer to the server.

Actually lag is the time it takes for your a "lag ping" to reach your computer and for your response to get back to the server. You can still have a slow procesor and stuff...but it doesn't take long to process a simple lag ping. So in short it's not how slow your computer is but your network connection to the server. I know this cause I've been doing alittle work on the protocol and making my own bot in perl.

The server sends out lag pings to each client every second.

you got what I meant tho ;)
Think_Different
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Think_Different »

one thing that increases lag is wirless networkin, so if your using a laptop, plug in an ethernet connection and it should be faster.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

when the server says your lag it too high, it means the server thinks your too laggy so they won't let you play. (see above posts to learn about lag, or go here