Nope :P
31%

Total votes: 26

TheAdventMaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

A small guide for those with questions on Flag Tactics... :D

Post by TheAdventMaster »

TheAdventMaster's Short BZFlag Guide. If you have any (questions or comments) or want another flag added here, just ask:

Scatter Shots:
Generally I believe in the good old math kinda stuff. Trig. Being a programmer, I'm forced to use it all the time anywho.

3 shots at someone is enough to begin recognizing a pattern of movement, so I scatter three shots at my opponent. One ahead of their path of movement, one slightly behind, then the optional third tracks their pattern. Use this third only if you have at least 4 shots max. By the third shot they're either dead already or I know what they're going to be doing next.

For servers with ONLY 3 shots, it's 2 shots that you use. Get it? 2 isn't enough to track a pattern of movement however, so you're left with just from x, y to x1, y1 instead of from x, y to x1, y1 then to x?, y?
Burrow:
Sometimes I'll sit perfectly still with a burrow by an area of flags. People have no idea what hit them.

Don't shoot at walls. Try wide open spaces or very hard to rebound back at your face areas. Some servers have very slow burrows, and the last thing you want is a shot you can't avoid.

Drive burrows into corners if possible with a WG. Remember that if you're high enough with a WG, you can divebomb and shoot burrows while you're squished.
Above Ground (no WG):
Other times I'll stand idle above ground making people think I'm not watching them, so they jump for the kill. Heheh, shoot, jump, pwnz.
Wings:
With WG, if you're in a server with a lot of jumps and are in a WG fight with someone else, fly above a high up platform to attract your WG target. The problem is with WG, you are either falling or rising constantly.

You can fix this by jumping up while directly under the platform. You're still, and you can sneak out under it when your enemy drops to try and shoot you. You'll generally get above them, and since you're using the platform to cover, it makes it hard for them to track you (This is why a high platform is desired, as the WG height change is less noticable high up).

You can squash burrows or shoot them if you fall from high enough.
Shockwave:
Find a portal that's easy to track your position on. One that alternates between your portal and the one you were just at. Put the radar zoomed out far enough for you to see any objects near *both* portals. When an opponent comes near your other portal, step in and SW them. Repeat and lather for an SW whored high score.

If you can't find a spot like this, try and pick your WG fights near platforms, walls, corners, etc. Run towards your opponent and that direction and watch them get forced into an unescapable doom.
GM:
Now I say, the GM flag is one often seen being camped up on a wall or something. If you can pull this off, do it, and bore yourself to death. I prefer actually hunting your opponents with GM. Stay a safe distance away from them but keep moving. Align yourself with your opponent's path of movement and go in for the kill.
Laser:
If you don't know the map, don't try and set up a shot that bounces everywhere unless you have some serious freetime. Otherwise, shoot at your opponents, and don't worry about rebounds unless it's severely obvious you're going to shoot yourself. Generally, you won't.

Take some time to learn the map you're in. If you have a laser and no one else is around, hunt for the perfect spot to cover large areas of the map.
GenoCide:
Join any server as the dominant team (Team with most players) and shoot yourself. Your score boost will be (number_of_Players_on_team(x) - 1)
HighSpeed:
HighSpeed whores often get too caught up in their speed boost and end up flying all over the place into walls, where people line up to shoot them as they fall. Highspeed is a great flag, but you have to use it wisely. Plan your attacks as you would without the flag, but on a larger scale. Hunt people in small groups who may be on the other side of the map.

If you're fast enough, they'll never see it coming, and chances are a small group will be too caught up in killing each other by the time you reach them.
Narrow:
Zig zag left and right at about a 30 degree angle towards your opponent. This flag can be use a lot of different ways, but I recommend tiny over this flag unless you're hunting a burrow.
Machine Gun:
I've never been in a server with long machine gun range, so I don't recommend this flag. It's good for a few seconds when you're in a pinch, but should probably be dropped later on.

If you want to keep your MG flag because you're stubborn, get people to jump and line yourself up with them...But really, learn how to fsking shoot instead of whoring out this flag.
Super Bullet:
The must have flag for players with good aim and servers with lots of walls. Use it just like you had no flag, except you can shoot through stuff.

BE CAREFUL though! Too many people try to line themselves behind walls and such to land an SB shot when they're being hunted. This often leads you into getting trapped. You have to know when it's time to finally drop this flag, especially when rebound can come in handy.
Phantom Zone:
A flag you can use for about 5 seconds to annoy people...Or not.

This can actually be useful in very rare situations. You're by a portal, you pick up phantom zone, and you're being hunted. That's it. Get the flag, run through the portal, hope you opponent has no SW or SB, and wait for them to get bored of your fake shots hitting them.

I've never met another Phantom Zone at the same time as I was, so I honestly don't know if you can shoot another one...Maybe it's because no one uses this flag...
Legolas wrote:Ok, this flag is best for sniping. You wait until someone on the otherside of the map comes close to the teleporter and you shoot, your shots un 'zoning' and hitting them. The second best way to use this flag is in a rabbit hunt If your lucky to find one while your the rabbit
Last edited by TheAdventMaster on Thu May 25, 2006 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will live forever, or die trying.
Much to live for, but something to die for.
I'm a pirate. Live it up.
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

Code: Select all

A flag you can use for about 5 seconds to annoy people...Or not. 

This can actually be useful in very rare situations. You're by a portal, you pick up phantom zone, and you're being hunted. That's it. Get the flag, run through the portal, hope you opponent has no SW or SB, and wait for them to get bored of your fake shots hitting them. 

I've never met another Phantom Zone at the same time as I was, so I honestly don't know if you can shoot another one...Maybe it's because no one uses this flag...
Ok, this flag is best for sniping. You wait until someone on the otherside of the map comes close to the teleporter and you shoot, your shots un 'zoning' and hitting them. The second best way to use this flag is in a rabbit hunt If your lucky to find one while your the rabbit
the sorting hat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the sorting hat »

Scatter Shots:
Quote:
Generally I believe in the good old math kinda stuff. Trig. Being a programmer, I'm forced to use it all the time anywho.

3 shots at someone is enough to begin recognizing a pattern of movement, so I scatter three shots at my opponent. One ahead of their path of movement, one slightly behind, then the third tracks their pattern. By the third shot they're either dead already or I know what they're going to be doing next.
Thats not the best advice to follow,because listen:If the person you are shooting at jumps he could scive all 3 shots, so shoot 2 and then save the last incase u miss! same as if they jump and shoot at them when they land!
TheAdventMaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sellotaped to Stupidity wrote:Thats not the best advice to follow,because listen:If the person you are shooting at jumps he could scive all 3 shots, so shoot 2 and then save the last incase u miss! same as if they jump and shoot at them when they land!
That is decent advice because servers have different amount of shots. Most above 3. 5 is the minimum I play in. 2 shots on the ground and one in the air is a good idea though, for 3 shot rooms. I wasn't saying it works for all servers either. As stated, 3 is enough for a pattern of movement. 2 isn't. ^_^;;

I'll update the post to fit the idea of "Just shoot less shots than your total shots", thanks for your comments.

Ok, this flag is best for sniping. You wait until someone on the otherside of the map comes close to the teleporter and you shoot, your shots un 'zoning' and hitting them. The second best way to use this flag is in a rabbit hunt If your lucky to find one while your the rabbit
Thanks! I'll add that to the guide. Sniping for so long is so lame though lol. If you live that long :P
MonsterMan++
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MonsterMan++ »

Quote:
Join any server as the dominant team (Team with most players) and shoot yourself. Your score boost will be (number_of_Players_on_team(x) - 1)

You're crazy if you came up with that aren't you? I think it speaks for itself!
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
-George Carlin

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
-George Carlin

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
-Yogi Berra

Better a broken promise than none at all.
-Mark Twain
lunch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lunch »

MonsterMan++ wrote:Quote:

Rogue, yes, *real* team, not cool.
TheAdventMaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Uhh...Guess I've been too busy programming lolz :P

Let x = team name

EDIT: Removed the marks and put in quote ones instead...I really am programming too much hahah.
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

Uh, wouldn't shooting yourself with geno lower your score?
Also, wouldn't your # of tks shoot sky high?

Maybe a better word of advice would be to be on the dominant team with a bunch of teammates, and shoot everyone up. (Be careful not to TK)
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Unless the server has rouges, and rouge geno. Then you could shoot yourself and not get tks. If the server has a lot of rouges i don't think killing yourself really matters if you're getting 10 other kills for it (10 points - 1 point = 9 points).
Da Best
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Da Best »

lolz... you can't rogue geon yourself on most servers now...so try and do it the right way peepz
Joss
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joss »

some advice. Keep side on to your opponent so you can move backwards and forwards to dodge, then face them when you shoot, and so on and so forth until you have killed all the bad guys. :wink:
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Joss wrote:some advice. Keep side on to your opponent so you can move backwards and forwards to dodge, then face them when you shoot, and so on and so forth until you have killed all the bad guys. :wink:
Any skilled player would just shoot you while you are turning.
Try facing directly at the enemy and "wriggling" around their shots.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Albino Blacksheep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Albino Blacksheep »

I think for the genocide, u should go to the team with the least amount of players, and shoot someone from the domanant team (x) instead of (x-1)
just a suggestion
-Albino Blacksheep
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

If u rejoined a team, you would have to drop your G, which defeats the whole purpose....
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One