wings tactic problem

Questions and comments on tactics and playstyles
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

wings tactic problem

Post by Ratatosk »

im not totaly sure but it looks like the wings flag go up or down when you shoot them an fly more. Is it just me?
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

um like when you jump up the bullet goes up? well yeah thats a server thing
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Try this thread: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9217 Murtaugh, try to find out if your topics have already been posted somewhere else. One exacly almost the same is right below this one.
MrsSmith
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MrsSmith »

ducktape wrote:um like when you jump up the bullet goes up? well yeah thats a server thing
I love it!
les when the jumps for wiongs are few..
lodxcol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lodxcol »

I like the way it is on Planet Mofo's FFA
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

The way so the bullets don't do that? Yes. I like that better. With it, wings are just Waaaaaayyyyy too powerful.
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

There is a map-specific setting (called _shotsKeepVerticalVelocity) to determine if shots that are fired maintain the vertical momentum of the tank after leaving the barrel... so that if you are jumping up, the shot continues to go up, and if you are falling, the shot continues dropping after leaving the barrel.

The problem with wings, and many super flags, is that they are overused. A flag gets developed to add a specific new element to the game... like laser, wings, or geno... and what happens is those flags quickly proliferate to many maps, often where they don't make any sense at all.

I prefer that vertical velocity be turned on for maps that have WGs, but also prefer that most maps not have wings. Map design, combined with high wing flap counts (like mofo), already do make WG a super weapon, and vertical velocity only makes it more so.

The really good maps... the ones that seem to be well known and widely played over time... Fall into two categories... Mofo and badger are "every flag the server can hold" shoot-em-up FFAs... But most of the other popular maps, like Spiral was, Boxy, Lasermania, Viper... a lot of thinking went into playability, not into novelty. They are not flag-heavy, and the flags that are there exist only to add a specific element to BZ, not just "because we can." Laser has 4 flags. Boxy has 7. (and I'd prefer just 6! :wink: ) Some of the most popular servers use less than 1/10 of all the flags available. (off my [OT] soapbox now)
Retired Army--Proud to have served
Armored Cavalry Crewman, 1981-1984 (M60A5)
Infantry Officer & Paratrooper, 1984-1986
US Army Ranger & Sniper, 1986-1989 (LRSD)

Water Cooled 8-Core Ryzen 7 2700x @ 3.7GHz | Radeon RX590 GPU | 43" 4K Monitor
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

A Vicious Muffin wrote:The way so the bullets don't do that? Yes. I like that better. With it, wings are just Waaaaaayyyyy too powerful.
Agree. Wings doesn't need help with shooting other tanks because they already have three dimensional maneuvering capability. Land luber tanks need at least some ability to shoot wings tanks when they drop down to surface level, and if wings tanks don't have to drop that low in order to hit the other tanks, then it just doesn't make fair competition.

I make a point to avoid arenas with that setting on. I don't care if I am the one with the wings or not - there has to be some level of balance.
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"