BZFlag 2.0.14 Released

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

BZFlag 2.0.14 Released

Post by JeffM »

BZFlag 2.0.14 "This isn't the release you are looking for" has been released

The sixth and hopefully really, really, we super mean it this time, final maintenance release for the 2.0.x line has been released and is being uploaded to sourceforge and it's mirrors now

Installers and source code can be found at
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... up_id=3248

The version is compatible with existing 2.0.x clients and servers.

This release fixes a few minor bugs and replaces the fonts with ones that conform to Debian licensing standards. No major features are included in this release.

We are taking this opportunity to update all the installers and binary builds to more modern standards and refresh them for all major Operating Systems (yes this means an Intel mac build).

Additional info can be found on the wiki at http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZFlag_2.0.14

**FONTS**
The fonts have changed for this version. If you want to keep your old fonts, please COPY them from your old data/fonts dir to the new version's data/fonts dir BEFORE you run the first time. Due to licensing restrictions we can not ship the old fonts anymore, nor provide download links to them. You will need to get them from the old versions if you wish to keep using them.
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: BZFlag 2.0.14 Released

Post by JeffM »

And before you ask, yes we removed proFont, we had to. It's license doesn't allow its format to be modified, and to get a font in to BZFlag you have to change the format. Also it is not an open source font even though it is free to use.

Version 3 will allow the use of the unmodified TTF file so when that is released, proFont can be used again ( even if we can't ship with it)
ImageJeffM
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

Then: How to turn off the update notification if you don't want to upgrade?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Turn off the MOTD. Pass -nomotd to the client via the shortcut.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

tobylane
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tobylane »

Nice timing, I just happened to have major crashes yesterday.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I would like to point out that this is the FIRST time in release history that all 3 major platforms have been posted in the same day. Good job and thank you to everyone that got it out quickly (Blast007, Brlcad, BulletCatcher, Constitution, Trepan, Tupone).
ImageJeffM
range-target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by range-target »

Speaking of v2.1, can you give a hint, maybe just a little "taste", of the planned enhancements? Please...pretty please?!?! I know, you are thinking..."give them a maintenance release, and even before the bytes have dried, they are already asking about the next rev..." Such a fickle bunch, yes, we are.
Thanks.
I drive, I shoot, I jump, I die. Pretty simple stuff...

Will admin for food! May Tux bless you.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

thank you guys for all the hard work you have done for us!!!

Soft
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Soft »

Got it !, installed, but I have some issues with networking, list servers takes forever, and in play, I really lag, old version stil working even if it is crashing every 10 minutes. (I need a win 64 bit version I think)
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by The Purple Panzer »

It won't run on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine - just exits after changing screen brightness, followed by a msg from Windows 7 that it didn't work.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

range-target wrote:Speaking of v2.1, can you give a hint, maybe just a little "taste", of the planned enhancements? Please...pretty please?!?! I know, you are thinking..."give them a maintenance release, and even before the bytes have dried, they are already asking about the next rev..." Such a fickle bunch, yes, we are.
Thanks.
Version 2.1 was changed to 2.99.x since the goal is to release it as 3.0.0, and not 2.2.0. There have been various builds of it for both Windows and OSX, and the source code is available in SVN trunk if you want to try it.
The Purple Panzer wrote:It won't run on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine - just exits after changing screen brightness, followed by a msg from Windows 7 that it didn't work.
It started up fine on my Windows 7 x64 virtual machine, though I didn't have OpenGL acceleration (VirtualBox must not support that yet on the 64-bit version). What was the exact message it gave you, and have you tried with a clean config? (Rename the "My BZFlag Files" directory in your Documents folder to something else and start it up). If that fails, start a new thread in the "Help: Setup / Hardware / Performance Issues" forum.
Soft wrote:Got it !, installed, but I have some issues with networking, list servers takes forever, and in play, I really lag, old version stil working even if it is crashing every 10 minutes. (I need a win 64 bit version I think)
Sounds like your computer has issues in general. Version 2.0.10 rarely crashes for me, and when it does, it's when I minimize the client while it's loading the map. ;) However, without more information, we really can't help you. I would suggest starting a new thread in the "Help: Setup / Hardware / Performance Issues" forum and provide as much information about the problem as you can.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The build was actually made on 64 bit windows 7, so I know it works. Best thing to do would be to check your video drivers, and the config like blast said.
ImageJeffM
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by The Purple Panzer »

Changing the config directory worked - thanx.
adameros
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by adameros »

How can I build a deb package to install? dpkg comlains about debian/control file that comes in the tar ball.
gusvano
Private
Private

Post by gusvano »

Sounds Cool
snick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by snick »

Soft wrote:Got it !, installed, but I have some issues with networking, list servers takes forever, and in play, I really lag, old version stil working even if it is crashing every 10 minutes. (I need a win 64 bit version I think)
I might mention in passing: I have 64-bit builds for both Windows and OS X.
While it is nice to feel that one is living in the future, in practical terms it
makes no noticeable difference (not unexpected).
catcha
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catcha »

Ok then, someone has got to make the obvious question: Why isn't this the release we are looking for???
"There's no such thing as stupid questions. There's just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

1) JeffM and Tim Riker said almost the same thing at the same time on irc.

2) it's not the release tha everyone is looking for (3.0.0)

edit: s/sane/same
Last edited by Bambino on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The release you are looking for still requires work.
ImageJeffM
catcha
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catcha »

Ok :) So, the reason for why "I'm not looking for this version" is not that it were faulty and useless, but that I'm looking so eagerly for the really new version 3.00 :D This version seems to work great, and I'm really glad about the improved support for visual c++ 2008 express (at least I failed to compile a working release version with 2.12). Thanks.
"There's no such thing as stupid questions. There's just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

3.0 has been built in 2008 for a while now so we just bacported that support for this build.
ImageJeffM