BZFlag 2.4.0 "Wake the Dead" released

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag 2.4.0 "Wake the Dead" released

Post by cepris »

Acehart wrote: Ok I've done everything else to install 2.4 using Macskeeball's method and everything seems set, but how do you launch the application - do you just type "launch"?
nope, you type "bzflag" :)
cidentan50
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cidentan50 »

wildrune11 wrote:Wait.. actually.. it seems to have completely uninstalled itself :| I got onto it when I installed it, but now it's gone, I can't get back to it even on the superuser account. I searched my computer for it but it only returns the old version.
In Terminal, enter this command: whereis bzflag

What output do you get?
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Macskeeball wrote: In Terminal, enter this command: whereis bzflag

What output do you get?
I got this:
bzflag: /usr/games/bzflag /usr/local/lib/bzflag /usr/share/bzflag /usr/share/man/man6/bzflag.6.gz
thanks for helping :D
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Greetings, I was trying to compile through source and have received these errors. I also obtained the code through trunk and still received it. Would appreciate any assistance to solve. Operating System is Ubuntu, this was what was outputted through the make command after compiling numerous other files. Seems to be stuck on this specific one:
/bin/bash ../../libtool --silent --tag=CXX --silent --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_C ONFIG_H -I. -I../../include -g -O2 -g -O2 -MT libNet_la-AresHandler.lo -MD - MP -MF .deps/libNet_la-AresHandler.Tpo -c -o libNet_la-AresHandler.lo `test -f ' AresHandler.cxx' || echo './'`AresHandler.cxx
AresHandler.cxx: In member function âvoid AresHandler::queryHostname(sockaddr*)â :
AresHandler.cxx:90: error: invalid conversion from âvoid (*)(void*, int, hostent *)â to âvoid (*)(void*, int, int, hostent*)â
AresHandler.cxx:90: error: initializing argument 5 of âvoid ares_gethostbyaddr (ares_channeldata*, const void*, int, int, void (*)(void*, int, int, hostent*), void*)â
AresHandler.cxx: In member function âvoid AresHandler::queryHost(char*)â:
AresHandler.cxx:120: error: invalid conversion from âvoid (*)(void*, int, hosten t*)â to âvoid (*)(void*, int, int, hostent*)â
AresHandler.cxx:120: error: initializing argument 4 of âvoid ares_gethostbynam e(ares_channeldata*, const char*, int, void (*)(void*, int, int, hostent*), void *)â
make[2]: *** [libNet_la-AresHandler.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sigonasr2/bzflag-2.4.1/bzflag/src/net'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sigonasr2/bzflag-2.4.1/bzflag/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Try this.
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

I've tried that, it still doesn't install for me for some reason, not at all?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Acehart wrote:"You may encounter a name conflict with other installed versions of BZFlag. Also, you probably won't have a GUI launcher for the new version. That is, a BZFlag shortcut in your Applications menu, your dock, or whatever it is you use to launch programs in the graphical interface. You may have to either create one or launch BZFlag from Terminal."

Ok I've done everything else to install 2.4 using Macskeeball's method and everything seems set, but how do you launch the application - do you just type "launch"?

Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but I have to ask, since I pretty much suck at using Terminal :(
If you're on OSX, you do not want to install the game with 'make install' as that will screw stuff up. If you did so on a Mac, go back to your source directory for BZFlag and do a 'sudo make uninstall'.

We have a 2.4.0 package for OSX, so just use that. There's no need to build it yourself on a Mac.
wildrune11 wrote:Cool, got it installed, but one problem. I installed it on superuser account and all the people that live with me have their own user accounts. It doesn't seem to have installed for everyone except the superuser account, how can I install it for all?
How did you build/install the game? We don't read minds, and without more information we can't help you.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

cidentan50
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cidentan50 »

I didn't only post OS X instructions. I also posted Linux instructions, and I'm pretty sure that both Acehart and wildrune11 were using those. Acehart quoted part of my Linux instructions, and wildrune11 has posted responses to it as well. Perhaps you missed my second post?

Wildrune11: Did you modify my instructions in any way, such as by adding "--prefix=$HOME/bzflag-2.4.0/" to the ./configure command (as seen in one of blast's posts)?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Macskeeball wrote:I didn't only post OS X instructions. I also posted Linux instructions, and I'm pretty sure that both Acehart and wildrune11 were using those. Acehart quoted part of my Linux instructions, and wildrune11 has posted responses to it as well. Perhaps you missed my second post?

Wildrune11: Did you modify my instructions in any way, such as by adding "--prefix=$HOME/bzflag-2.4.0/" to the ./configure command (as seen in one of blast's posts)?
Ah, I guess you posted OSX instructions too. I didn't see those when I looked back, so I thought that Acehart used the Linux method instead of the "OSX way".
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

Some non-reproducable problems under Windows:
(Asus Eee 1015 (Atom N550, 1,5GHz, 2GB RAM, OZC Vertex SSD), WIn7-32bit)

Sometimes - without notice - the client just crashes, but its not reproducable. It just freezes or the client closes. Most of the time, I can play without any problems.
cidentan50
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cidentan50 »

blast wrote:
Macskeeball wrote:I didn't only post OS X instructions. I also posted Linux instructions, and I'm pretty sure that both Acehart and wildrune11 were using those. Acehart quoted part of my Linux instructions, and wildrune11 has posted responses to it as well. Perhaps you missed my second post?

Ah, I guess you posted OSX instructions too. I didn't see those when I looked back, so I thought that Acehart used the Linux method instead of the "OSX way".
My OS X instructions were my first post (originally there were no official 2.4 binaries for Mac), back on page 1. Based on what Acehart replied to, I'm assuming he's a Linux user.
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

I'm compiling 2.4 for Linux (on my server) and I come accross this error. Is this a serious error and if so, how do I fix it?

-Propane Tank
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

g++: command not found

Well, I'd start by, you know.. installing your C++ compiler, g++ ;)

cidentan50
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cidentan50 »

Propane Tank, what distro is your server running? That will help us tell you how to install g++ and all that goes along with it.
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

Well I got that (bzflag) done (compiled) and working...so whats the command line argument for turning off tk? The upgrade page doesn't say and I don't see any new ones in the command line page.

EDIT
Macskeeball: this post was suppose to be before yours but as it turns out I clicked preview instead of submit...I am running Ubuntu 10.10
-Propane Tank
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

-noTeamKills, iirc. It should be in the bzfs man page, and under bzfs -help.

cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

blast wrote:How did you build/install the game? We don't read minds, and without more information we can't help you.
I followed the instructions that Macskeeball wrote earlier. When I got the issue, I tried modifying it with what was in Constitution's link, but that didn't help me either.
Macskeeball wrote:Did you modify my instructions in any way, such as by adding "--prefix=$HOME/bzflag-2.4.0/" to the ./configure command (as seen in one of blast's posts)?
Nope, I followed your instructions exactly. I tried the ones that Constitution linked me too, but that didn't help. Will it install into the folder that it is in? e.g., if I have it in the Downloads folder will it install BZFlag into the Downloads folder?
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

Yeah. It will if I remember right in the folder it's in the src folder.
-Propane Tank
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Propane Tank wrote:Yeah. It will if I remember right in the folder it's in the src folder.
What what? I'm confused :D
Are you saying it will install itself into the folder that I've put it in? E.g, if I save it in Downloads, it will install itself in Downloads?
If so, where do I need to place it to install in onto the computer? Which folder should it normally go in?
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Propane Tank wrote:Yeah. It will if I remember right in the folder it's in the src folder.
What what? I'm confused :D
Are you saying it will install itself into the folder that I've put it in? E.g, if I save it in Downloads, it will install itself in Downloads?
If so, where do I need to place it to install in onto the computer? Which folder should it normally go in?
cidentan50
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cidentan50 »

src folder = source folder, meaning the BZFlag source code folder.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

bzfs ends up in /bzflag-2.4.0/src/bzfs/bzfs
bzflag ends up in /bzflag-2.4.0/src/bzflag/bzflag
bzadmin ends up in /bzflag-2.4.0/src/bzadmin/bzadmin

Assuming that you are building those applications.

Doing a 'make install' after configuration will link the applications to your system, so e.g. you can then type bzflag instead of the whole application directory/filename.
Propane Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Propane Tank »

If you want to install it into the system folder you need to run it as root. So 'sudo make install'.
-Propane Tank
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If people need to report bugs or need help with compiling 2.4, please start a new topic in the correct forum.

Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

BZFlag may now be updated to 2.4 on Fedora Linux with this command:
su -c 'yum update bzflag'