BZFlag 2.4.0 "Wake the Dead" released

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
blast
General
General

BZFlag 2.4.0 "Wake the Dead" released

Post by blast »

BZFlag 2.4.0 "Wake the Dead" has been released. After BZFlag 3.0 development hit a brick wall, Bullet Catcher helped get the project motivated again by producing a plan to get a new release out that was based on 2.0.x. So what we did was bring back selective features from the 3.0 development tree that were low risk so that we could get a successful release out. We also, of course, put in some other fixes and features.

The big thing to note is that BZFlag 2.4.x is not compatible with BZFlag 2.0.x. You cannot use a BZFlag 2.4 client on a 2.0 server, nor can you use a 2.0 client on a 2.4 server. Servers will slowly upgrade to the new version, and some may run both versions of their maps for a while. There will be a transition period of several months. Windows and OSX users will be able to easily keep both versions of the game installed and in use. Linux users will have to do a bit more work for that, but it's still possible.

Server owners will have to make some minor changes to their configuration files for BZFlag 2.4. They will also have to update any of their third-party plugins to the new BZFS API format. We have documented the upgrade procedures here:

http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZFS_2.4_Upgrade
http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZFS_API_2.4_Upgrade

Some of the major features include:
  • The ability to turn off teamkilling on the server
  • The OpenFFA game mode which is a teamless FFA, meaning you can shoot anyone regardless of color
  • Per-object ricochet, which lets map authors selectively enable ricochet for individual objects
  • Removal of local authentication
  • Ability for the server to force flags to be hidden on the radar
  • Fog can not be turned off
  • The screenshot code does not lag the client badly anymore
  • The ID flag identification was moved to the server
  • Public servers must have a -publickey
  • Polls only count users that are able to vote
Check out the ChangeLog for more changes.

Here are the downloads:
BZFlag 2.4.0 for 32-bit Windows (Also works on 64-bit Windows)
BZFlag 2.4.0 for 64-bit Windows (Only works on 64-bit Windows)
BZFlag 2.4.0 Universal Binary for Mac OS X
BZFlag 2.4.0 source code

BZFlag may be updated to 2.4 on Fedora Linux with this command:
su -c 'yum update bzflag'
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Re: BZFlag 2.4.0 "Wake the Dead" released

Post by trepan »

The following minor changes are not listed in the ChangeLog:

- added the _forbidIdentify BZDB variable (defaults to 0)
- added the _forbidHunting BZDB variable (defaults to 0)
- added the _forbidMarkers BZDB variable (defaults to 0)

These server-side variables are especially useful for "no-radar" maps.
Scythio
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scythio »

Wow! Looks amazing!
Can't wait for a mac build... couldnt get it to build correctly myself. :/
Soon we will be facing bots that we can't beat...
mahem1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mahem1 »

Allow plugins to register custom flag types - Daniel Remenak
Does this mean plugin flags will be/are now limited to what plugins can do?
That would be/is really cool. That itself might bring alot of people of people back to BZFlag.
Lag makes me miss all of the good stuff.
And random bans..........
FiringSquad
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by FiringSquad »

I love the name. Congrats to whoever thought of it.
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

mahem1 wrote:Allow plugins to register custom flag types - Daniel Remenak
That would be/is really cool. That itself might bring alot of people of people back to BZFlag.
Yup, I asked the same question. The answer was yes, it is to prevent useless flag being abused, and we can make our own flags xD
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

We hope to expand what custom flags can do in the future.
ImageJeffM
cidentan50
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cidentan50 »

Scythio wrote:Wow! Looks amazing!
Can't wait for a mac build... couldnt get it to build correctly myself. :/
I was able to successfully compile an unofficial build of 2.4 final for Mac. Download it if you wish, but be aware that downloading executables from strangers on a forum can potentially be a way to get malware on your system. If you'd prefer to build it yourself, here's how I did it. I'm running 10.6.8, the latest update to Snow Leopard.
  1. Install XCode. I used XCode 3, which is one major version behind. There should be an XCode installer on your OS X install disk, or you can get version 4 for $5 on the Mac App Store.
  2. Install libSDL 1.2 runtime libraries into /Library/Frameworks
  3. Download the BZFlag 2.4.0 source from Sourceforge.
  4. Inside the source folder, you will see a file called BZFlag.xcodeproj. This is the XCode project file.
  5. Open that file, and from the Build menu choose Build.
  6. Compilation will take some time, but if it finishes successfully you will have created a BZFlag.app in build/Development inside the BZFlag source folder.
I don't think most people know about 2.4. The overwhelming majority seem to still be playing on 2.0.x
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mopar Madness »

Ya, I was talking to people a couple days ago and most didnt even know it was being made, much less already out. No one really reads the MOTD in the bottom of chat, why isn't there a giant annoying upgrade alert like the ones they had when 2.0.10 came out, 2.0.14 came out and 2.0.16 came out?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Mopar Madness wrote:why isn't there a giant annoying upgrade alert like the ones they had when 2.0.10 came out, 2.0.14 came out and 2.0.16 came out?
I could do that, but it would pop up and prompt Windows users every time they start their 2.0.x client even if they have already installed 2.4.0. So I don't want to turn that on until most servers have moved over.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

Mark_IV wrote:
mahem1 wrote:Allow plugins to register custom flag types - Daniel Remenak
Yup, I asked the same question. The answer was yes, it is to prevent useless flag being abused, and we can make our own flags xD
See, this (along with the ability to specify ricochet characteristics on a per-object basis rather than global-only - above that, it would be nice to also be able to do so according to shot type, as well) was pretty much the gameplay design aspect that was getting me interested in the 3.0 line when it was announced as a possibility. Glad to see both managed to sneak their way into the 2.4 line.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
Dr Robotnik
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dr Robotnik »

It is great to see the game is not dead. -Golf Clap-
Admin and Support Supervisor for BZAddict. Need a BZFlag map hosted? Register today at bzaddict.net!
My Maps: Plaza (bzaddict.net 5198) Final Zone Collab (bzaddict.net 5199
Snooping as usual I see? Yes, yes you are.
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

Does 2.4 have the (I think drawinfo) serverside so tanks can go onto moving objects?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

no, draw info is (and probably always will be) client side and only used for drawing ( that's why it's called DRAW info). Collisions are done on the client right now but only the solid portions of objects with draw info are used ( that's the point of the solid parts), so I'm not sure why you think the "server" will do anything for them.

General support for moving objects (rendering and collisions) is another problem not related to draw info at all and will be looked into at a later date.
ImageJeffM
Mark_IV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mark_IV »

Thats why I said I think. I didn't know if anything else could be solid and move objects.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

as far as the game is concerned the "objects" are not moving, there is just a transformation applied to the geometry at drawing time. Making the actual object move in the world is a harder problem and would touch a lot more code.

DrawInfo animation was intended for small special effects that don't affect the world, such as fire and other effects. It is not a generic animation system. A generic animation system would probably be tied into some sort of scripting system like lua to allow arbitrary animations, not just simple cyclical transformations.
ImageJeffM
Scythio
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scythio »

Is there any place where we can see all the new things that can be used in maps? Such as the rico-per-object feature.

Thanks
Scythio
Soon we will be facing bots that we can't beat...
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Hooray! :D Damn.. I'm on Linux.. and I haven't a clue on how to install the new version.. and nobody is going to help me.. LOL.
cidentan50
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cidentan50 »

wildrune11 wrote:Hooray! :D Damn.. I'm on Linux.. and I haven't a clue on how to install the new version.. and nobody is going to help me.. LOL.
The best solution is probably to wait until it gets updated in your distro's repositories. That way, you'll be able to easily update or remove it using your package manager. However, if you don't want to wait you can compile and install from source.
  1. Install the software needed to compile from source code. In Debian-based distros such as Ubuntu and Mint, you can do this by installing the build-essential package with your package manager ("Software Center" in Ubuntu).
  2. Also install libSDL 1.2 in your package manager.
  3. Download the source code and extract it.
  4. Open Terminal and type the following commands, pressing enter after each one.
  5. cd ~/Downloads/bzflag-2.4.0 (or whatever the path to the BZFlag source code folder is)
  6. ./configure
  7. make
  8. sudo make install
  9. Enter your password. You won't see bullets or anything appear as you type it. This is normal. Just press enter when you finish typing it. If you mistype, it will reprompt you.
You may encounter a name conflict with other installed versions of BZFlag. Also, you probably won't have a GUI launcher for the new version. That is, a BZFlag shortcut in your Applications menu, your dock, or whatever it is you use to launch programs in the graphical interface. You may have to either create one or launch BZFlag from Terminal.
Last edited by cidentan50 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

ok, if I have already bzflag 2.0.16 installed, and I have compiled 2.4 by myself, what is the command of this new version of bzflag (2.4) ? Is it like the versions before? only "bzflag" like in 2.0.16? I have to know because if 2.4 have the same command of 2.0.16, i have to remove the 2.0.16... because if i run on the terminal "bzflag" it run 2.0.16... if 2.4 have another command, i would like to know it for running 2.4 by terminal and create a graphical launcher... So, how is it the situation?
Jacko H
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jacko H »

GREAT JOB BC!!! U SUPERSTAR!!! :P
Jacko Productions:
World War III, Kill Or Die, Nazarath, Warlock Adrenaline, Rabbit Season, Firing Range (Just Be Simple), Death Island.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Fox in the Fog wrote:ok, if I have already bzflag 2.0.16 installed, and I have compiled 2.4 by myself, what is the command of this new version of bzflag (2.4) ? Is it like the versions before? only "bzflag" like in 2.0.16? I have to know because if 2.4 have the same command of 2.0.16, i have to remove the 2.0.16... because if i run on the terminal "bzflag" it run 2.0.16... if 2.4 have another command, i would like to know it for running 2.4 by terminal and create a graphical launcher... So, how is it the situation?
You can install 2.4.0 into your home directory by building like this:

Code: Select all

./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=$HOME/bzflag-2.4.0/
make
make install
(Note that I am not running make install as root - just as the normal user because it is installing into my home directory)

Then you would run BZFlag 2.4.0 by running $HOME/bzflag-2.4.0/bin/bzflag

wildrune11 wrote:Hooray! :D Damn.. I'm on Linux.. and I haven't a clue on how to install the new version.. and nobody is going to help me.. LOL.
Sure we will. Just ask for help if you get stuck, and read the README file for Linux.
Scythio wrote:Is there any place where we can see all the new things that can be used in maps? Such as the rico-per-object feature.

Thanks
Scythio
That's the only new map feature.

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Ok, thank you blast, but i have already installed 2.4 using the instructions of Macskeeball... Now 2.4 is installed, (and running by terminal "bzflag" it run 2.4) but in usr/share/bzflag there is nothing! So i don't know how change textures (I use Winny's one)...I tried to put texture here but nothing happened. And, i tried also to put new textures in my Download directory where the directory bzflag-2.4.0 is... in vain. Also, when i open the game and I go in options, change key mapping settings, and i try to set the fire with Wheel Down it doesn't happen nothing! So i tried change it by the config file in home/.bzf/2.4 and when i restart bzflag (i do the changes when bz in down) all is like before... So? how change key mapping or textures now?
I can't change the settings... GUI screen ecc!
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hutty »

ooo...

can I drive from a mesh box to a box without getting stuck now?

and what about mesh box texturing... does it still stretch?
For all of you who have asked what a hutty is, there is one as my avatar.

instant map... just add water
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Fox in the Fog wrote:in usr/share/bzflag there is nothing! So i don't know how change textures (I use Winny's one)...
It would be under /usr/local/share/bzflag as far as I know.
Fox in the Fog wrote:Also, when i open the game and I go in options, change key mapping settings, and i try to set the fire with Wheel Down it doesn't happen nothing! So i tried change it by the config file in home/.bzf/2.4 and when i restart bzflag (i do the changes when bz in down) all is like before... So? how change key mapping or textures now?
I can't change the settings... GUI screen ecc!
You probably didn't build with SDL. Ensure you have the relevant SDL development packages installed and run through the process from the beginning. And read the output at the end of configure, since I think it will tell you if it's using SDL or not. We also have a README.Linux file that may tell you want you need.
huttymuncher wrote:ooo...

can I drive from a mesh box to a box without getting stuck now?

and what about mesh box texturing... does it still stretch?
We did not change any of that from 2.0.x.