BZFlag 2.4.0 "Wake the Dead" released

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag 2.4.0 "Wake the Dead" released

Post by fox in the fog »

Thank you, now i can found the right directory and I can change Textures :) cool.
OK, blast, I don't know how I have do that, but using the config file, i have set the fire with Wheel Down. and If i go in the game under options, change key mapping, on fire i see Wheel Down! All the other GUI settings can be changed now, in game and also on the config... So i thought the problem is solved, but with the wheel down I can't shoot! on key mapping is right now... But can't shoot. I have set that for restart i have to use the middle mouse... That work, the only things don't work is iconify (F4, the F12 work) and wheel down. The wheel down error can't be because of the mouse, all the other things I do with it works...
Teak
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teak »

What is with the size difference between the 2.4.0 and 2.0.16 Mac builds? (2.4 = 15 MB, 2.0.16 = 50 MB.)
Also did lag correction make it into 2.4? (That would be great...)
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Debug build vs Regular build... and no it did not

Lag compensation is not slated do be addressed until v3.2 (http://my.bzflag.org/w/Development_RoadMap)
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Fox in the Fog wrote:but with the wheel down I can't shoot! on key mapping is right now... But can't shoot. I have set that for restart i have to use the middle mouse... That work, the only things don't work is iconify (F4, the F12 work) and wheel down. The wheel down error can't be because of the mouse, all the other things I do with it works...
Run 'bzflag -version' on the (on the 2.4 bzflag, of course) and paste the output of that here.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Are 2.0.X replays compatible with 2.4.X replay servers and / or vice versa? Just curious as to whether or not we will be able to keep and view replays without having to start up a specific server to watch from where it was played on.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

They are not since they are tied to the network packet formats.
ImageJeffM
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

That's the output:

BZFlag client 2.4.0.20110706-STABLE-linux-gnu (protocol 0221) http://BZFlag.org/
Copyright (c) 1993-2011 Tim Riker
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Macskeeball wrote:
wildrune11 wrote:Hooray! :D Damn.. I'm on Linux.. and I haven't a clue on how to install the new version.. and nobody is going to help me.. LOL.
The best solution is probably to wait until it gets updated in your distro's repositories. That way, you'll be able to easily update or remove it using your package manager. However, if you don't want to wait you can compile and install from source.
  1. Install the software needed to compile from source code. In Debian-based distros such as Ubuntu and Mint, you can do this by installing the build-essential package with your package manager ("Software Center" in Ubuntu).
  2. Also install libSDL 1.2 in your package manager.
  3. Download the source code and extract it.
  4. Open Terminal and type the following commands, pressing enter after each one.
  5. cd ~/Downloads/bzflag-2.4.0 (or whatever the path to the BZFlag source code folder is)
  6. ./configure
  7. make
  8. sudo make install
  9. Enter your password. You won't see bullets or anything appear as you type it. This is normal. Just press enter when you finish typing it. If you mistype, it will reprompt you.
You may encounter a name conflict with other installed versions of BZFlag. Also, you probably won't have a GUI launcher for the new version. That is, a BZFlag shortcut in your Applications menu, your dock, or whatever it is you use to launch programs in the graphical interface. You may have to either create one or launch BZFlag from Terminal.
Thank you very much, that will help me ;) I'm just going to wait a little while to see if it comes up in my Update Manager, if it doesn't soon enough I will try this :)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Fox in the Fog wrote:That's the output:

BZFlag client 2.4.0.20110706-STABLE-linux-gnu (protocol 0221) http://BZFlag.org/
Copyright (c) 1993-2011 Tim Riker
Your client was not linked to SDL, so that is why you cannot use the mouse wheel, and why you cannot minimize the client. Please read though the README.Linux file. It mentions what you need to install for Ubuntu and Debian, as well as Fedora, and might give you a clue if you use another distro.

Once you have that, run configure again (with whatever options you had last time) and it should detect that you have the SDL development packages installed and will then use SDL.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

I installed all the necessary packages... nothing worked
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Fox in the Fog wrote:I installed all the necessary packages... nothing worked
Well you did it wrong... try it again.
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
War Pig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by War Pig »

'/flag history' appears to have output truncated at 26 characters.
<life> <!-- insert something interesting here --> </life>
fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

Well, i think i'm going to wait that my distro put bzflag 2.4 on the repositories or that I have much time to do tries... So, because there are not enough players and servers on 2.4 i thought Could reinstall 2.0.16 for playing well for a bit... i have also 2.4 installed, and if i install 2.0.16 and try to start it, it start 2.4... So i tried to remove 2.4, but i didn't do it correctly... And per mistake i deleted the bzflag directory in usr/local/share/bzflag... so, 2.4 now can't run, but when i installed 2.0.16, and tried to start it, the terminal said:

No fonts found (the -directory option may help). Exiting

so... What should I do to have the 2.0.16 bzflag version? I know, i made a bad mistake.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

First, do a 'sudo make uninstall' from your 2.4.0 source directory. After that, remove 2.0.16 using your package manager and then install it again.

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

The terminal said me that the command make has no rules to be run... and the procedure stops.
So, if I uninstall 2.4, all will return like before... But, 2.4 won't be removed. :( Ah, the 2.4 now can't run, i have deleted the bzflag-2.4.0 directory under /usr/local/share/ So, should I redo the compiling and than retry do sudo make uninstall? because now, i really don't know where do sudo make uninstall. I tried extract the source another time and do there... but i think is a bad thing
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ahs3 »

I have build Arch Linux packages. Just until the official package is updated.

i686:

http://bzbattleground.com/pkgbuild/bzfl ... pkg.tar.xz

x86_64:

http://bzbattleground.com/pkgbuild/bzfl ... pkg.tar.xz

To install simply do:

Code: Select all

pacman -U bzflag-2.4.0-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

ahs3
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Fox in the Fog wrote:The terminal said me that the command make has no rules to be run... and the procedure stops.
So, if I uninstall 2.4, all will return like before... But, 2.4 won't be removed. :( Ah, the 2.4 now can't run, i have deleted the bzflag-2.4.0 directory under /usr/local/share/ So, should I redo the compiling and than retry do sudo make uninstall? because now, i really don't know where do sudo make uninstall. I tried extract the source another time and do there... but i think is a bad thing
If you already got rid of the old source folder you'll have to run autogen.sh and configure again, and THEN do 'sudo make uninstall'.

Moto Unit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Moto Unit »

Bug or unknown issue. I just downloaded 2.4.0 64bit and am running it on a computer with Windows 7 OS. When I joined tonight the graphics were beautiful with one stunning exception. All the tank colors through the HUD were grayish white...both sides on Missle Wars. The colors of the structures, field surface, pyramids etc were rendering perfectly but the tanks appear as though they had driven through white wash paint:) Any idea how i can fix this? It makes it tough to determine who is friend or foe unless using the radar only and that doesn't really help with an ST carrying friend or foe:) Thanks, Moto
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Moto Unit wrote:It makes it tough to determine who is friend or foe unless using the radar only and that doesn't really help with an ST carrying friend or foe:) Thanks, Moto
Seems to me you had that problem in 2.0.16 as well (telling friend from foe that is)! ;-)

Haven't head about this one before.... Have you got the latest video driver from the card manufacturer?
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mopar Madness »

Type /retexture and that will fix the texture issues like grey tanks, invisible shots, white shots, etc. I've had this same issue since I got Windows 7, I think the current version was 2.0.14 at the time. Also, I started getting the NR when in obs bug about the same time
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mopar Madness »

Another possible bug, if you selfkill with Genocide on a no TK server, teammates still die, that's probably intentional though to keep geno from being overpowered. And out of curiosity, has anyone tested rogues w/ no tk, that seems like potential for a bug.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the geno flag is working as intended for this release. We will be adding more geno options in a future release.
ImageJeffM
Acehart
Private
Private

Post by Acehart »

"You may encounter a name conflict with other installed versions of BZFlag. Also, you probably won't have a GUI launcher for the new version. That is, a BZFlag shortcut in your Applications menu, your dock, or whatever it is you use to launch programs in the graphical interface. You may have to either create one or launch BZFlag from Terminal."

Ok I've done everything else to install 2.4 using Macskeeball's method and everything seems set, but how do you launch the application - do you just type "launch"?

Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, but I have to ask, since I pretty much suck at using Terminal :(
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Cool, got it installed, but one problem. I installed it on superuser account and all the people that live with me have their own user accounts. It doesn't seem to have installed for everyone except the superuser account, how can I install it for all?
cepris
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cepris »

Wait.. actually.. it seems to have completely uninstalled itself :| I got onto it when I installed it, but now it's gone, I can't get back to it even on the superuser account. I searched my computer for it but it only returns the old version.