BZFlag 2.4.4 Release Candidate 2

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
blast
General
General

BZFlag 2.4.4 Release Candidate 2

Post by blast »

We are nearing ever closer to the release of BZFlag 2.4.4. This release will be compatible with the other 2.4.x releases and will include a number of bug fixes and feature enhancements. We had previously released a Release Candidate 1, so if you had not seen that, you can see the bug fix and feature highlights there. We are now releasing Release Candidate 2, which includes some additional fixes and features based on feedback and testing since RC1. You can see the changes in the ChangeLog.

Some highlights:
  • On Windows, automatically reload the textures after coming back from minimizing (which fixes the missing texture issue in most cases)
  • Server list quick filters have been improved:
    • Improve the default server list quick filters
    • Add better instructions for using them
    • Add a menu to edit the quick filters
    • Add in-game documentation for how to write them
Downloads: The Windows build should also work better on some systems. The RC1 build was using a much newer version of c-ares, a library we use to resolve DNS (hostname to IP address mappings). Newer versions of this library have some issue in specific system configurations that can cause a roughly 13 second delay before it returns a valid response to the program. So, this made it very slow to connect to the server list, the MOTD, and to game servers, as those all involved making a DNS lookup to find the IP address for a certain hostname. This build rolls back to an earlier version of c-ares that does not seem to have that issue, so that problem should go away now.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

TankKilla
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag 2.4.4 Release Candidate 2 is great for iMac Retin

Post by TankKilla »

Hi blast,
your team did a good work, course the v2.4.2 ran perfect at my Mid 2011 iMac with 27 Inch Display, Intel Core i7 3,4 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM and AMD Radeon HD 6770M.
At Saturday, December the 5, 2015, I migrated all software (and the user accounts) to the brand new Late 2015 iMac with 27 inch Retina 5K display, Intel Core i7 4,0 GHz processor, 32 GB RAM and AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB.
The v2.4.2 was nearly the only software which made problems (no problem :-), showing big colorful stripes running up and down the display. I tried to change all display options but there was only a change in the colors and the running direction. :-(
Your 2.4.4-RC2 has none of the display problems. You can change the resolution to the (sensational) 5120 by 2880 pixel -- it works perfect.
So many thanks for the good work and nice greetings from Munich, Bavaria.
TankKilla
(From Munich, Bavaria, the town of the Oktoberfest)
(Powered by Apple iMac 27" and Harley-Davidson Sportster Iron 883 :-)
op90
Private
Private

Re: BZFlag 2.4.4 Release Candidate 2

Post by op90 »

Tested it under Arch Linux on a 64bit architecture. Compiled from source. Game runs fine.
It did however core-dump when I quit the game.
blast
General
General

Re: BZFlag 2.4.4 Release Candidate 2

Post by blast »

Yep, we've since fixed a handful of crash bugs.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)