BZFlag 2.4.4 Release Candidate 3

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
blast
General
General

BZFlag 2.4.4 Release Candidate 3

Post by blast »

We are close to the 2.4.4 release. We have a new release candidate build ready to try out. If all goes well, this should end up being the last RC build. There were not a lot of changes to this release candidate. We fixed some crash on exit bugs and some memory corruption issue, and added some fixes for fullscreen/windowed switching on Mac OS X. Additionally, we'll be using a newer version of SDL 2 on Mac OS X which may include some fixes.

So take it for a spin and let us know if you find any issues with it! There is a known issue running the game on Windows 10 with recent AMD graphics hardware and drivers, but I made the decision to delay fixing that to 2.4.6 since it was taking too long.

Downloads:
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

macsforme
General
General

Re: BZFlag 2.4.4 Release Candidate 3

Post by macsforme »

For the Mac build, we believe we fixed an issue where clicking the mouse with the pointer at the very top of the screen would fail to register the click. There was an additional issue that arose with the current version of SDL involving switching to windowed mode from fullscreen which would cause the window dimensions to be incorrect, which we believe we also fixed. If any Mac users can test these two conditions to verify that the issues were corrected, that would be appreciated.
Viza
Private
Private

Post by Viza »

The Mac package says it's damaged and can't be opened when you try to open the application. Tried unzipping with Archive Utility and Unarchiver and experience same issue.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Viza wrote:The Mac package says it's damaged and can't be opened when you try to open the application. Tried unzipping with Archive Utility and Unarchiver and experience same issue.
Confirmed... I'll try to fix it tonight. Apologies for the inconvenience.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The fixed Mac OS X package is posted now.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

TankKilla
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag 2.4.4 Release Candidate 3 - little flicker

Post by TankKilla »

... at my iMac 27" Retina 5K End 2015 runs well. But it still flickers a little bit, wenn I turn around with the tank. One moment no turn -- and than a little too much. Therefor it's hard to aim well. Thanks for working at. (Am I the only one with this problem?) Greetings from Munich, Bavaria :-)
TankKilla
(From Munich, Bavaria, the town of the Oktoberfest)
(Powered by Apple iMac 27" and Harley-Davidson Sportster Iron 883 :-)
Moto Unit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Moto Unit »

Hey Blast, I have tried to play 2.4.4 RC3 with my windows 10 laptop but like you said there is the graphics issue. I have tried some work arounds by downgrading drivers without success so I guess until the 2.4.6 comes out I will go back to my old standby version I had for my windows 7 build. Any idea how long before 2.4.6 will be available?? Thanks for all your work and efforts!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The good news is that I did manage to get it to work on Windows 10 if I switch to using SDL2 (instead of our native platform stuff). I'd need to make some other changes so that it uses only the display part of the SDL platform files and leaves audio and input alone. There is already support in the Windows platform code for choosing either native or SDL window/display management at runtime, but having someone go and tweak their config file from the first install isn't ideal as they'd just assume it's broken.

So a few possibilities exist: 1) make it always use SDL2 for the display end of things, 2) make it detect when there's going to be an issue and switch to using SDL2, or 3) figure out why the Windows platform code is failing. Of course, I'd rather go with option 3 if I can, so I'm going to see if I can rework that first. I never figured out why it was doing it, exactly. But if I can change the flow enough that it stops happening, I shouldn't need to know the why.

DTRemenak also mentioned that there was approximately a 10% performance hit to using SDL on Windows in the past, but I don't know if that would apply here. Needs more testing. :)

smchaha
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by smchaha »

I hope the 2.4.4 ship hasn't sailed too long ago. Recently downloaded 2.4.4, whatever release is default download for Mac on the main bzflag.org site. There seems to be an issue with the machine gun flag. Any time I pick it up it just shoots uncontrollably with no fire keypresses, clicks, etc immediately when I pick up the flag. Just tested 2.4.6 RC2 and mg flag handles differently there as well, not the same as 2.4.4 but I'll post in the 2.4.6 thread about that.